Gransnet forums

Chat

Better late than never! House martins.

(23 Posts)
foxie48 Fri 26-May-23 17:10:20

We'd given up hope but the house martins arrived this afternoon. We heard them screeching a welcome and we screeched back. They are few in number but at least some have made it. Anyone else had such late arrivals?

Primrose53 Fri 26-May-23 17:23:25

We have been in this house just over 30 years. Every year, until about 3 years ago they came and built nests on our gable end and I love them!

They came about 3 years ago and I recorded the date as usual, they started building and just disappeared after a day or 2. Same thing happened the next 2 years. I can hear a lot of tweeting going on and they usually arrive late afternoon/early evening so I am off to investigate and fingers crossed.

We do have some in our horses field shelter at the moment though! They come every year and don’t bat an eyelid with us coming in and out.

Shelflife Fri 26-May-23 17:24:11

foxie , great they are back , we have not seen ' ours ' yet ! I wait for their return each year. We are away on holiday just now and hope to see them when we return home tomorrow, although I am not holding my breath at this late stage.I will be disappointed if they do return. I love to catch that first sighting as they come back to us. Lucky you !

Shelflife Fri 26-May-23 17:25:14

Don't return!!!!

Skydancer Fri 26-May-23 17:30:35

Oh how wonderful! It does give us hope amidst all the doom and gloom.

CanadianGran Fri 26-May-23 17:54:04

We have both Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows, and I believe they come the same week every year. I think it is around the second week of May, and I am always glad to see them swooping and chattering. Such cheerful little things, and they take good care of all the flying insects.

3nanny6 Fri 26-May-23 18:29:17

I have not seen the return of any birds but for the first time ever there is a new visitor in the garden two doors away of a huge red kite, it sits up very high at the top of a tall conifer tree
but it has not come down into the garden.
I also have a shrubbery bush between mine and neighbours garden I had a gardener in two weeks ago to help out with some work, I was going to get the bush cut down but on close inspection found a nest which has pigeon in so have left it alone and am waiting to see if any babies arrive.

Spinnaker Fri 26-May-23 18:52:26

Only an hour ago and we saw three of "ours" for the first time. Bring it on ☀ ☀ grin

BlueBelle Fri 26-May-23 18:55:42

Mine haven’t arrived yet but it was later last year too
I have a lot more sparrows this year though and loads of small blue butterflies whizzing around

foxie48 Fri 26-May-23 19:09:08

They do chatter, Canadiangran. I just love them, OH thinks more might still arrive, I do hope so. At the end of the summer, they start gathering on the telephone wires, with the occasional whirl in a flock. It always makes me feel sad as I know they are getting ready to leave and that it's the end of the summer. On a brighter note, Tallulah, my adopted peahen is becoming very tame and is happy to eat very close to me.

Delila Fri 26-May-23 19:14:27

Are you sure they’re not swifts?

foxie48 Fri 26-May-23 19:30:22

Delila

Are you sure they’re not swifts?

No they are house martins, not the right colour for swifts.

Aldom Fri 26-May-23 19:38:40

No House Martins, but I have a lovely little family of sparrows this year.
Many other birds too of course. Lots of activity and birdsong.
Early this week I saw a Redstart on the bird feeder. It's the first one I've had in any of my gardens.

Delila Fri 26-May-23 19:47:12

I asked because it’s usually swifts that scream as they fly.

CanadianGran Fri 26-May-23 23:46:30

Foxie48, how wonderful! I looked at the photo before I read your post, and was amazed to see a peahen! In the Vancouver area there are some that have settled into a certain area, and I understand they are quite noisy. Beautiful though!

foxie48 Sat 27-May-23 09:18:27

Delila

I asked because it’s usually swifts that scream as they fly.

I said "Screach" but probably should have said "Squeak", their chatter is quite loud this morning so I'm hoping more have arrived. We've several nests under the eaves of the house and more in some old stables. We've been here for 23 years and the nests were here long before us, sadly though there has been a definite decline in numbers.

CatsCatsCats Sat 27-May-23 09:27:51

Yes, they're back in our village, along with the swallows. Wonderful.

My favourite bird this time of year, though, are the blackbirds - I'm in love with their song.

Juliet27 Sat 27-May-23 09:30:34

As a child I always had House Martin nests under the eaves. We so looked forward to them returning. My husband’s father had nests but the mess down the wall annoyed him and he destroyed them. Sacrilege! 😩

Delila Sat 27-May-23 10:30:19

Yes, me too CatsCatsCats!

timetogo2016 Sat 27-May-23 10:39:49

I thought you meant the pop group lol.
I love those birds.

Callistemon21 Sat 27-May-23 10:59:48

Aldom

No House Martins, but I have a lovely little family of sparrows this year.
Many other birds too of course. Lots of activity and birdsong.
Early this week I saw a Redstart on the bird feeder. It's the first one I've had in any of my gardens.

We've got loads of sparrows, they love our garden but seem to be dominant and many other small birds have disappeared over the years.

One male sparrow in particular (I'm sure it's the same one each year!) chirps non-stop, very loudly. It's amazing that such a loud, persistent one-note noise can come from such a tiny creature! I think he's in charge 😀
If we're in the garden he sits nearby and chirps at DH if the bird feeders need filling up.

Callistemon21 Sat 27-May-23 11:01:00

CatsCatsCats

Yes, they're back in our village, along with the swallows. Wonderful.

My favourite bird this time of year, though, are the blackbirds - I'm in love with their song.

Oh yes, we get serenaded every evening 🙂

Callistemon21 Sat 27-May-23 11:01:57

foxie48 how lovely! 🙂