Gransnet forums

Chat

Being moved along by someone who "wants your place".

(77 Posts)
biglouis Tue 26-Mar-24 12:20:03

Just read a thread on Mumsnet about a lady in a gym who was “told” to move from a piece of equipment by two other members so they could exercise side by side. Similar equipment was free but not in pairs. She refused because she was already part way through her exercise program. One woman became quite angry. However they did not think to ask a male member who was also using a machine that was one of a pair.

Im not a gym goer. However many posters commented that this was poor gym etiquette to interrupt a member who is clearly into the rhythm of their set exercise program. You cannot simply hop on and off pieces of equipment without detriment to your planned workout routine.

Once I have settled myself somewhere (eg train/bus/plane seat) and stowed all my belongings away I will not move just to allow entitled people to sit together. If they want adjoining seats they should come earlier or book them. My usual response is “Im all right where I am thank you” with a decided do not challenge me edge to my voice.

Poppyred Tue 26-Mar-24 12:33:53

What a cheek, I would have reported the woman.

TerriBull Tue 26-Mar-24 12:38:00

I read that Biglouis, my thoughts were, like the most of the responses "what a damn cheek" I do go to the gym particularly for the treadmill, sometimes with my husband, there's no way I'd ask anyone to move just so we could be side by side, what rubbishshock

Similarly, plane seats booking side by side or anywhere in the plane requires a fee, the times I've read people being asked to swop having paid for their seat. What is with these entitled people who think what they want should inconvenience someone elsehmm

NannyJan53 Tue 26-Mar-24 13:02:57

I remember years ago Mum
telling how she joined an exercise class when she first retired. She put her mat down on the floor and two ladies said, “you can’t put it there it’s so and so’s spot!! She said , “really? I will wait till she arrives then”. Suffice to say no one turned up to claim the spot! 😃

AGAA4 Tue 26-Mar-24 13:29:38

Surely you go to the gym to exercise not to chat to a friend. There are some very needy people who can't do anything on their own and to inconvenience others so you don't have to spend an hour or two alone is not acceptable.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Mar-24 13:31:47

Awful, such a cheek.
I was asked to relinquish my seat on a recent flight to NZ and offered another one at the other end of the mid aisle
I was a bit taken aback but it was so that a parent and her child could sit nearer to the rest of their family who were in the window seats.
The nuisance was mainly that my vegetarian meals kept being brought to my neighbour.!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 26-Mar-24 13:33:23

Damned cheek. They’d get short shrift from me.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 26-Mar-24 14:21:32

If you want to sit together on an aeroplane then you pay to reserve the seats, surely? If you don't pay you risk being away from your travelling companion(s). As in many things in life, you get what you pay for.

RosiesMaw Tue 26-Mar-24 14:23:15

I was a bit taken aback but it was so that a parent and her child could sit nearer to the rest of their family who were in the window seats
Never seen the point of window seats on a plane!
When you’ve seen one cloud, you’ve seen them all surely? confused

Sparklefizz Tue 26-Mar-24 14:23:43

I’ve read that it happens a lot on planes.

Visgir1 Tue 26-Mar-24 14:42:00

What a cheek.
I have only asked someone in the gym have you finished? as they are sitting there scrolling through their phone sitting on the machine you want.

crazyH Tue 26-Mar-24 14:56:28

I like a window seat on a plane only because I can rest my head on it and nod off 😂

Primrose53 Tue 26-Mar-24 15:08:13

My daughter and I went on a day trip and part of it was a river boat cruise. We wandered down to the jetty, which was empty, to wait for the boat and stood right next to the barrier.

After about 10 minutes two women came down and one of them was so close I could feel her breath on my neck. I moved slightly to one side and she then pushed in front so she and her friend could be first in the queue.

We still laugh about that! 🤣

rafichagran Tue 26-Mar-24 15:12:24

I thought the Same Biglouis rude and entitled. When I read it I was thinking I would have said no as well.

Chestnut Tue 26-Mar-24 15:26:55

RosiesMaw

^I was a bit taken aback but it was so that a parent and her child could sit nearer to the rest of their family who were in the window seats^
Never seen the point of window seats on a plane!
When you’ve seen one cloud, you’ve seen them all surely? confused

Nooo! I always want to sit by the window. If there are no clouds you get some wonderful views. Greenland glaciers spring to mind! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Then another time there was low cloud and I saw something sticking out the top. I rubbed my eyes. It was the top of the Eiffel Tower. Unfortunately we couldn't see the city below.

Witzend Tue 26-Mar-24 15:29:31

I always book an aisle seat on planes. Less claustrophobic, and at least you don’t have to climb over a large, sleeping person to get to the loo. And I’m afraid I wouldn’t swop to a middle or window seat for anybody.
Dh always wants a window seat, so sometimes we have a random person between us, but that doesn’t bother us.

Grammaretto Tue 26-Mar-24 16:07:22

Aisle every time for me so I can get up and walk about without climbing over sleeping strangers.

I checked the booked seats on the journey home and made sure I booked mine, free at check in, that had one person or a couple next to me so no-one had to clamber over me!
My DDiL is a frequent flyer so showed me that trick.

I ended up with a couple who were from Glasgow and quite chatty. None of us slept much.

TerriBull Tue 26-Mar-24 16:11:54

I have seen so many arguments arise on line, apropos of plane seats, where someone who has paid and booked a seat is asked to move. I think I read, again on MN, someone was asked to move so that a woman could be next to her children, when the person in the seat responded with "I've paid for this seat" the entitled mother said something along the lines of "what difference does that make!" duh! well clearly the price of the pre booked seat you deliberately obtuse person shock I know when we took our children abroad when they were young that wasn't the case, families were automatically placed together. It does seem that is no longer the case, and we all know when we book our plane tickets there is an extra charge for where you want to be positioned. We always pay for two outside isle seats opposite each other, I don't like being hemmed in, some prefer a window seat, it's fair to say that most people don't want the middle seat and it does seem that is often the seat that gets offered to those who have already paid for their seat that some other entitled person wishes them to give up. .

Nannylovesshopping Tue 26-Mar-24 17:14:30

I’d like to see some one try and move me on!!

Labradora Tue 26-Mar-24 17:33:22

I'm with you BigLouis.
I've posted previously about people's behaviour on public transport. I commuted into London for over 30 years. I know whereof I speak. On occasions where people expected me to move so that they can sit "in their group" there's been an immoveable "no, I'm fine where I am thanks" from me. Most astonishingly people who more or less demand that you do these things are always incredibly unpleasant!!! This has always baffled me since if I wanted someone to do me a favour , I'd be as nice as possible. That's a no-brainer , surely.
Incidentally I'm not usually an unpleasant person and I'll do someone( a stranger ) a favour on most occasions if I'm asked nicely.

Susiewong65 Tue 26-Mar-24 17:37:30

Aren’t Jo public a lovely bunch?
Thank goodness I can’t be bothered to drag my aged body to such a delightful establishment!

eazybee Tue 26-Mar-24 17:45:22

I was asked to move so that a young child was not separated from its family so I agreed reluctantly. Seated elsewhere I realised there were 2 adults and 2 children in the family, 2 either side of the aisle and the reason for me moving was so that said child could have my window seat. Not pleased.

grannysyb Tue 26-Mar-24 17:54:10

On the other hand, when DH and I travel by tube and people can see that we're together, but in seats which aren't next to each other, they often move so that we can be next to each other.

SynchroSwimmer Tue 26-Mar-24 17:56:58

I’m currently struggling with this and having to become oddly assertive.

German men in a nice Spanish hotel, at the food servery think they can just bulldoze me when they want to occupy my space - so I’m having go stand with my feed a metre apart and shoulders back braced for contact.

Similarly on the narrow footpaths (happy to receive any feedback here from anyone with knowledge) the footpath widths will only accommodate one person going in each direction - but the Germans approach fully two-abreast and don’t give way. Also puzzled that everyone over 50 is also holding hands? Again, I’m bulking myself up to look like a tank and “take up my space” - just to get through.

In fairness, I do love how everyone walks on the same side as they drive - so everyone you meet keeps to the right 😊

On an aircraft I have my rehearsed answer ready “I’m happy with the seat I’ve booked thanks” (I haven’t booked the seat - I’m just not moving)

Serendipity22 Tue 26-Mar-24 19:29:47

Pfft !!! I would say "jog on.".

😂🤣😅😆