Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Good Friday 29th March 2024

(53 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 29-Mar-24 05:33:19

Good Morning Everyone,
Its just daylight but very cloudy over brackley this morning, but ground is dry .
A day in today as a limited bus service is running , expecting a parcel delivery later .
Will follow family tradition as to lunch with fish in parsley sauce with mash and peas .
Mind you otherwise I will have to alter somethings as my bank has been closed and they have removed the cashpoint machine as well , so it means if I need cash I will have to travel and go elsewhere , with banks closing it will make things harder for a generation that have grown up with banking , the kids of today the adults of tomorrow will have very few to choose from .
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Fri 29-Mar-24 05:40:55

Good morning on this very important day in the Christian calendar.
The weather has been vile; cold wet and windy. We even had a very heavy hail shower in the afternoon. More of the same today 🙁
I did little yesterday apart from my tai chi class. It was the first time I’d been for a while and was surprised when a couple of ladies told me they had missed me!
I find church services on Good Friday very difficult, as the mother of boys and, more so, since my Philip died. I might go…
May the metaphorical sun shine on you today. Carpe diem 🦩🦩🦩🦩

Mizuna Fri 29-Mar-24 05:57:46

Good morning from Cornwall where it's raining. A day of reflection, with a Walk of Witness through the town. Loads of people from all our churches gather and walk quietly through, culminating at one of the churches for a service. I feel for you gM, missing your son.

Yesterday I pretended I was on holiday and loafed around reading, eating and doing crosswords. It was lovely. I never stay in all day and it felt indulgent.

karmalady Fri 29-Mar-24 06:13:44

Good morning, sunny showers today in s somerset

Another rest day for me today but I am keeping on top of cooking and other basics. I am hoping to be out planting my potatoes tomorrow, an easy job

Have a good day

Bellasnana Fri 29-Mar-24 06:15:25

Good morning from Malta where it is another warm, sunny day.

I’m meeting a frend this morning then this afternoon my Canadian family will be joining us (DD3 and family) to watch the Good Friday procession from Mosta church.

Huge statues are carried depicting the Passion of Christ and I find it very moving even after so many years.

All shops are shut today, it is a day of fasting and reflection in the Catholic tradition.

Had a lovely time with the boys yesterday. They are such happy little chaps.

Wishing you all a good day.✝️

RosesandLilac Fri 29-Mar-24 06:21:53

Good morning from gloomy skied south Glos, there’s a curiously yellow tinge to the clouds.
I enjoyed stitch club yesterday, it’s nice to be out even if it was hideously wet, windy and cold.
Today I have several bits and pieces to do, enough to keep me occupied for the morning.
Have a lovely day 🌹

Jaxjacky Fri 29-Mar-24 06:22:20

Morning from a dry, for now, S Hants.
Lovely to be missed gMattie.
Sadly Mick banks are closing everywhere, but no cash point is very frustrating.
My daughter and children will call in later today and we’re meeting my son and his partner in our local tonight.
Have a pleasant day all.
🦩🦩

Pantglas2 Fri 29-Mar-24 06:27:52

Good Friday all from a dry and light north Wales and I hope it stays that way as we have garden duties at PG Towers…🤔.

Sorry to have missed birthday greetings Purplepixie 🥂- and here’s some more 🍾for any celebrations coming this weekend!

Had a wonderful time in Chester although weather was hit and miss but caught a lovely young man singing pop-op on Eastgate whilst we had ☕️ in the 🌞

Have a peaceful Easter folks whatever you’re up to and safe travels for those on holiday or who need to be out and about x

Ashcombe Fri 29-Mar-24 06:47:38

Good morning from a beautiful start to the day in Torbay but wind expected soon.

There’s a walk of witness locally this morning but I shan’t be joining them. My walking speed is rather slow these days, unfortunately.

A day of reflection. 🥀 ✝️💐

Greyduster Fri 29-Mar-24 06:52:41

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a chilly South Yorkshire. Dry at the moment. Yesterday it rained all day but I stayed in trying to rid myself of this wretched sore throat and headache. Feel better today - just rather snotty. I must go out at some point as I need some things from the supermarket. If it stays dry I must do some light gardening and run down the water in the butt which is overflowing again. Very much a suck it and see day.
Have the best day you can, folks.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-Mar-24 06:55:07

Good morning from a brightish South Downs - wind is dying down I hope.

I will make the hot cross buns this morning, and hopefully garden this afternoon.

Sea bass with lemon and garlic capers for supper.

Have a peaceful and harmonious day everyone.

Marydoll Fri 29-Mar-24 06:55:21

Good morning all from a wet Glasgow.

Mick, my children rarely carry cash, everything seems to be done from their phones.

We spent a delightful afternoon with the human dustbin yesterday. After demolishing her lunch, she very vocally demanded my fresh fruit salad. I gave up in the end and ate in the kitchen.
I drove home from church last night. Usually I find driving at night stressful, but much to my relief, whether it's my new glasses or my new car it was much easier in the past
For the first time in ages, I was only up twice during the night.

A very busy day for me ahead. I need to do some shopping, Good Friday service at 3pm and then an Easter Vigil rehearsal at 7.30pm.
We did a lot of prep last night, to cut out some of the work today.
The church will be full to the gunnels, usually standing room only.

I wish you all a very pleasant day.

Baubles, I hope you got on OK yesterday and the pain relief is helping.💐

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 29-Mar-24 06:57:14

Good morning from Oxfordshire, it’s been raining but a weak sun is struggling to stay out.

I dosed myself up with pills yesterday and was ok on the flight, kept my eyes closed for most of it, it was delayed as were many flights yesterday leaving Lanzarote, but we made the time up with strong winds blowing us home, a 4 hour flight only took 3 hours and 10 minutes. But the landing was very bumpy and rough due to 40mph cross winds, the Pilot warned us so we were prepared.( It wouldn’t have surprised us if they closed the airport after we had landed.)
Half the plane was able to leave, the other half had to wait as the plane started to tip and sway as we were all queueing to go out of the one exit door. Scary for those left onboard the shuddering and swaying plane, we wondered why they all sat down again but by then we were being helped across the runway as it was so very windy.

Our usual 1hour and 45 minutes drive home took 3 hours due to road closures and diversions, MissOops texted us to tell us that there were storms up here, she wasn’t joking, awful weather, but it was raining in Lanzarote when we left so not such good weather there either, just warmer.

We sat down to a ready meal last night when suddenly the light bulb flew out of the overhead light, bounced into my glass of water then flew through the open sitting room door! My glass broke but the light bulb was intact…… what’s that all about?? Maybe the gods were trying to tell me something, as there was no light in the room I decided to leave it and sort it out this morning along with all the washing. It’s all still in there, broken glass everywhere, sigh……….

Once my head stops wobbling I have plenty to sort out.

I hope everyone has a peaceful Good Friday, it would be nice to get some Spring weather but I won’t hold my breath.

Hugs for those who are sad, stressed or unwell.

Susan56 Fri 29-Mar-24 06:58:32

Good morning from Shropshire.Sunshine and showers forecast today.

A lovely day with the family yesterday.Today we will walk into town with DD2 and family.

Have the best day you can everyone🦩

Nonnadiana Fri 29-Mar-24 07:00:41

Good morning from a dry for now glasgow 5 degrees. Meeting daughter for lunch and shopping. Hope everyone has a pleasant day

Bonnybanko Fri 29-Mar-24 07:00:50

Bellasnana im so jealous of your weather it’s cold , windy and wet here on the east coast of Fife.
I’ll still be going to my local club where it will be nice and warm and I’ll be meeting lots of friends, I’ll take a box of chocolates with me to hand out. It’ll be a fun day.

Blessings on everyone this Good Friday the clocks go forward on Saturday so don’t forget

Beechnut Fri 29-Mar-24 07:04:30

Good morning everyone from the Cotswolds. It’s very damp out after the rain yesterday and the day before and the day…….

We went to see Midsomer Nights Dream last night and I got very chilly waiting outside while Beechnutella went to get the car. I appreciated very much that she had switched on the heated seats.

No plans for the weekend so I’ll just have to see how it turns out.

I hope you all have the best time you can and enjoy your eggs 🥚🥚🥚(white chocolate 🤣)

Marydoll Fri 29-Mar-24 07:10:06

Nonnadiana

Good morning from a dry for now glasgow 5 degrees. Meeting daughter for lunch and shopping. Hope everyone has a pleasant day

Nonnadiana, welcome! We must live in a different Glasgow, it's wet here and of course DH is golfing!

Are you interested in coming to the Glesca Grannies lunch in April in the Concert Hall Café? We are a very friendly bunch and always welcome new faces.

luluaugust Fri 29-Mar-24 07:22:32

Good morning from a bright W Kent today is DH’s 81st birthday we are hoping to go out for a light lunch and see the family tomorrow for a bit of a do.
Very best wishes to all

RosiesMaw Fri 29-Mar-24 07:26:16

Good morning from Walthamstow where I have been staying over after coming down for GS's end of term assembly on Walthamstow Wetlands nature reserve. Worth every minute of 2 hours + in the rain and wind on the M25!
Lovely morning now, very quiet, you'd never guess this is London.
Blue skies and bright for now but increasing cloud suggests we may not be lucky for many more hours.
Driving back later this morning (it will be grim) and D and Gs are off to Norfolk- SIL went up by train yesterday evening as he had work to finish.
I do miss the religious side of it all- the Maundy Thursday Vigil, the Good Friday procession of witness- Paw was a Catholic and it meant a lot to him but I now find it too moving.
Wishing you all a Happy Easter weekend hopefully with those you love.

Grammaretto Fri 29-Mar-24 07:26:55

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Dry so far!
A friend will cover my shift at the shop this morning as I'm still not well enough.
A nuisance as DD and the DGC arrive this afternoon for the weekend.
She's working and I'm entertaining the kids. in theory

My last bank branch became a food bank. There is a cash machine at the postoffice and a mobile bank, a rickety trailer, once a week I'm told. * I hope you find a suitable alternative Mick
I use phone banking for nearly everything now.
*Reminds me to catch the fish van today and make a fish pie. 🎣 🥧

We'll have painted boiled eggs for Sunday. 🥚 🥚

I hope all those travelling arrive safely and those with worries and troubles receive peace.

Georgesgran Fri 29-Mar-24 07:27:31

Good morning from Durham. It’s amazing - a bright blue sky and wall to wall brilliant sunshine!
Family coming later, so I’ll be able to hide a few chocolate eggs in the garden for DGS1 to find. They’ll have coq au vin - a blast from the past, but very tasty.
Mick investigate if any of your local shops have cashpoints inside. Can you still get cash back using a debit card? It’s years since I did that.
I hope the weather improves for those who are undertaking outdoor activities today.
Best wishes to all. X

monk08 Fri 29-Mar-24 07:28:19

Good morning all from a dull Black country non stop rain yesterday and it looks like more to come.
We were meeting the boys today but Dgs1 not been very well waiting on a call from DS perhaps lunch at theirs.
👋 welcome Nonnadiana.
Enjoy your day everyone whatever your plans and may you all find some ☀️.

Pittcity Fri 29-Mar-24 07:29:39

Good morning from a grey but mild Colchester. A rain then sun day is forecast. Glad the wind has dropped.
DH and DGS1 are off fishing so DS and I will have a quiet couple of days. I'll take a quick walk to Aldi and then relax.
Love to all 🦩 x

Grandmabatty Fri 29-Mar-24 07:31:00

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 5° and damp. NonnaDiana I agree with Marydoll. The Glasgow Grans are a friendly and welcoming group. It would be nice to see you. Oopsadaisy what a bizarre incident!
Yesterday was another quiet day. I did make a loaf and kneaded it by hand because dd still has my KitchenAid. It rose beautifully. I also painted a wooden Happy Easter decoration which was a real faff but it's now done and sitting on my kitchen windowsill.
Today I'm meeting DD and the boys at the garden centre for breakfast. She's bringing said KitchenAid and something for my dinner. I find the reversal of roles amusing. I was always the feeder in the family and it looks like dd has inherited my mantle.
The rest of the day I'll get on with washing and housework so that it's done and out of the way for the family lunch on Sunday. Have a peaceful Good Friday all.