Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you read any good books lately?

(104 Posts)
Bumface Wed 17-Apr-24 08:37:45

Do you have favourite authors? Do you have favourite genres?
What is your definition of a good book? What are you reading at the moment? Do you read the book first before watching the film? I am always on the lookout for books to enjoy. Please share your thoughts.

YorkLady Wed 17-Apr-24 08:53:43

Try Anne Tyler. Love all her books.

keepingquiet Wed 17-Apr-24 08:59:59

A good book for me has to be something I remember long after reading and in some way changes the way I see the world.
The last one I read that made an impression on me was Crave The Rose by Nick Holland. It was more than just a biography of Anne Bronte, often overlooked by her more famous sisters. It was so well written and included a selection of her poems I had never read before.
It opened my eyes to a woman who suffered much but had an inspiring sense of her own self-worth and Christian faith.
I recommend to anyone who is interested in the more famous literary sisters but wants a new perspective on these extraordinary women.

Greenfinch Wed 17-Apr-24 09:01:12

Being without a current novel and finding nothing really appealing in Tesco’s second hand bookstall, I picked up Whistle in the Dark. When I got home I found it was by Emma Healy who wrote Elizabeth is Missing which I really enjoyed. This one looks good too. She has another one called Sweat coming out next January.

Baggs Wed 17-Apr-24 09:01:39

Currently reading E.P.Thompson's The Making of the English Working Class, which is fascinating. Also The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. I can knit (socks at the moment) at the same time as reading that one. I prop it up on a table in front of me.

Georgesgran Wed 17-Apr-24 09:19:25

I don’t seem to have the time to read at all these days. I think my last books were September whilst on holiday, when I’d read one a day while sunbathing - obviously nothing too complex - just detective/crime type stuff.

Sparklefizz Wed 17-Apr-24 11:31:04

Bumface Why not look at the 50 Book Challenge Thread under Books as we all mention books we've enjoyed and quite a few of us give a brief synopsis. If we haven't enjoyed a book, we say why not. You might get some good ideas.

Parsley3 Wed 17-Apr-24 12:23:21

I am reading Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver just now. It's basically a retelling of David Copperfield and I am really enjoying it.

Bumface Wed 17-Apr-24 12:53:41

Thanks Sparky. And thank you to everyone else who has shared suggestions for further reading so far, I have already been able to make a list of interesting books to read next. I have just finished reading 'This much is true' by Miriam Margolyes, which I enjoyed but I hesitate to recommend unreservedly as it a little overlong and contains a great deal of bottom and sexual references which, in my opinion do not add much. However, there is a great deal of fascinating insight into the world of professional acting and Miriam does not pull her punches and is refreshingly frank about who she likes and dislikes. What finally sold it to me, were the photos and the index both of which I think are essential, but not always present, in a biography or autobiography.

LadyGracie Wed 17-Apr-24 14:18:09

DH gave me Tick Tock by Simon Mayo to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Labradora Wed 17-Apr-24 16:27:17

Annie Proulx (Shipping News) I found a great read and she is a lovely writer.
On a lighter note the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series of books have lovely characters and are lovely stories. (Alexander McCall Smith).
I love spy and detective stories so the whole of the John Le Carré works . All the Jack Reacher stories are enjoyable.

grandMattie Wed 17-Apr-24 16:32:41

I have just finished a library book “the librarian of auschwitz”. Not fun, but a very interesting read. It is based on the read life of a Czech girl Editha Adler who was imprisoned at about 10 and finally released at 16 at the end of WWII.
The other “Munich” by Robert Harris; excellent, terrific suspense about the 4 days leading up to the Munich agreement in September 1939.

MissInterpreted Wed 17-Apr-24 16:43:11

I also found The Librarian of Auschwitz a really interesting read, grandMattie.

muckandnettles Wed 17-Apr-24 16:59:59

I like a good browse in a bookshop to spark my interest in a new book, preferably a charity bookshop. Recently I've enjoyed Joanna Quinn's The Whalebone Theatre, Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead, Ann Patchett's Tom Lake. I usually like a fairly 'calm' read without too much happening too quickly as I can't stand books where it's all action and no character. I also like the occasional twisty psychological thriller, but often find they go a bit stale after an initial interesting set up at the start. (Eg. group of girls go missing in strange circumstances, no trace of them but an empty car at the side of the road...then it turns out it was all an accident / mix-up, not a huge mystery at all.) I love anything by Anne Tyler.

Primrose53 Wed 17-Apr-24 17:06:42

I have just finished Girl On Fire by Tony Parsons and although it’s not what I would normally read I did enjoy it. His earlier books Man and Boy, Man and Wife etc were all good reads.

Now reading Motherwell by Deborah Orr but have mixed feelings about it.

travelsafar Wed 17-Apr-24 17:07:34

I'm reading a series of very enjoyable gentle books by Pamela Bell. They start in 1914 and the 1st world War.
Christmas at Emmerdale farm then followed by Spring at Emmerdale farm in 1918 at the end of the war.
As I don't watch the TV programme of the same name I don't know if they are connected. There are a total of 5 books in the series. I am passing them on to a friend who is also enjoying them.😊

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 17:09:18

For a bit of light relief from history books I like short stories. I’m currently enjoying a collection written by Sylvia Townsend Warner called ‘Winter in the Air’, a gift from my daughter in law who enjoys her writing,

Mel1967 Wed 17-Apr-24 17:19:13

Thank you for starting this thread.
The best book I have read recently was:

The Whalebone Theatre by Joanna Quinn

Since finishing it I’ve struggled to find anything quite as good

Witzend Wed 17-Apr-24 17:31:31

‘Keep The Aspidistra Flying’, by George Orwell - found it on the Kindle - for 49p. Incidentally there was a film version on Tv the other day.

I rarely buy new books, because I read so fast, it comes too expensive.
So it’s usually cheapies (inc. classics) on the Kindle, or from charity shops.
I recently found some Josephine Tey bargains on the Kindle, too.

Greenfinch Wed 17-Apr-24 17:35:48

grandmattie who wrote the Librarian of Auschwitz ? Is it a novel or true story? I am into the Heather Morris Auschwitz books. I read Three Sisters on holiday and am about to start on The Tattooist of Auschwitz in preparation for watching it on Sky in May and I have also borrowed Cilka’s Story which is by Heather Morris too.

Auntieflo Wed 17-Apr-24 17:39:35

Greenfinch. Now you have me intrigued. Where is Tesco's second hand book stall?

Greenfinch Wed 17-Apr-24 17:46:13

Hi Auntieflo,it is just behind the tills. You can either swap a book for one of your own or put a small donation in the tin for charity. I think they have recently raised about £180 for CLASP. I have had some good books from there.

Glorianny Wed 17-Apr-24 17:48:02

I've just read The Nightwatchman by Louise Erdich. It's based on a true story and set in the Indian reservations in the US, She's a member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians and it's their story. Set in 1950s. Great writing, very moving but sometimes it makes you laugh. I want to read more of her stuff.

Greenfinch Wed 17-Apr-24 17:48:55

It was actually £280 they raised. I am impressed!

Glorianny Wed 17-Apr-24 17:50:29

Witzend

‘Keep The Aspidistra Flying’, by George Orwell - found it on the Kindle - for 49p. Incidentally there was a film version on Tv the other day.

I rarely buy new books, because I read so fast, it comes too expensive.
So it’s usually cheapies (inc. classics) on the Kindle, or from charity shops.
I recently found some Josephine Tey bargains on the Kindle, too.

The film version is so unlike the book. It's a sort of sentimental love story!