Gransnet forums

Chat

Pre Warning re Tonight’s Eastenders

(94 Posts)
NanaTuesday Wed 17-Apr-24 15:25:32

Spoiler Alert , A hard hitting 1 hour episode tonight, which has had me in tears - extremely emotional & well written which ties into on going story line

Delia22 Wed 17-Apr-24 17:56:35

I don't watch Eastenders but isn,t it generally filled with depressing,violent episodes? I would rather watch uplifting t.v.Each to their own I suppose!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 18:02:06

I don’t watch it either. Never have, never will. I don’t know how people can be reduced to tears by pure fiction.

Desdemona Wed 17-Apr-24 18:08:10

How have you watched the episode already, if its on tonight?

Bumface Wed 17-Apr-24 18:12:59

I am frequently reduced to tears by pure fiction. Don't be so stuffy. Eastenders is a fantasy but nevertheless it is very well written and acted and has had some memorable moments eg Dot Cotton's soliloquy. OK it is not for you.

NanaTuesday Wed 17-Apr-24 18:21:25

Desdemona
Each days episode is on player at the start of the day 👌
If I have time I’ll watch it in the mornings.

NanaTuesday Wed 17-Apr-24 18:24:57

Bumface,
Totally agree with you . The script writers also cover current topics & do it well .
I’m not sure why people would think you can’t shed a tear if you are watching or reading fiction 🤔

Whitewavemark2 Wed 17-Apr-24 18:27:46

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t watch it either. Never have, never will. I don’t know how people can be reduced to tears by pure fiction.

I don’t watch EE, but I do watch and read fiction. And for someone never to be moved by some of the most powerful and emotional writing that is available throughout the hundreds of years of wonderful writing, I find incredibly difficult to believe.

Joseann Wed 17-Apr-24 18:29:16

Desdemona

How have you watched the episode already, if its on tonight?

Eh? I wondered that.

henetha Wed 17-Apr-24 18:29:58

Thanks for warning me , Nana Tuesday.
I hadn't noticed.
Well said, Bumface. EastEnders is very good drama and I love it.
Each to his own of course.

Joseann Wed 17-Apr-24 18:30:15

NanaTuesday

Desdemona

I never knew that!

Desdemona Wed 17-Apr-24 18:33:05

Joseann

NanaTuesday

Desdemona

I never knew that!

Nor me!

Joseann Wed 17-Apr-24 18:35:54

Anything to do with the Lola storyline has me close to tears. That little girl is one of the best child actors I've seen in a long time.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 19:05:59

Some people cry easily, others don’t. I don’t know when I last cried, and it certainly wasn’t provoked by fiction.

Bridie22 Wed 17-Apr-24 19:47:18

GSM, tonight Eastenders is based on real life situations that occur very frequently to women, so not fiction.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 17-Apr-24 20:08:26

Whatever - I am not the weepy sort. I have had enough to cry about in real life.

Bridie22 Wed 17-Apr-24 20:43:23

Haven't the majority of us GSM, but we can still feel empathy with other women in these situations, and if a soap helps one woman be aware, brilliant.

rafichagran Wed 17-Apr-24 20:45:32

Just watched it, brilliantly acted with a good storyline. It showed the reasons why men like this get away with it.
Six older women,all with the same story, different dates, some did report but not enough evidence. Others did not for fear they would not be believed.
This was drama at its best.

NanaTuesday Wed 17-Apr-24 20:57:27

rafichagran
Exactly , which is why I had the tears , such compelling viewing , even knowing that he was a predator did not prepare the viewer for his actions . What a backstory as well it spoke volumes . Hats off to East Enders scriptwriters , fantastic acting also .

Jewelle Wed 17-Apr-24 21:14:40

My goodness that was a hard thing to watch. I thought it was going to be about Jay. It wasn’t.

kittylester Wed 17-Apr-24 21:41:55

Isn't Yolande a good actress?

I thought it was brilliantly done.

BlueBelle Wed 17-Apr-24 21:49:02

I don’t watch EE I did years ago but haven’t done for a very long time but all films and plays and fiction books are made up aren’t they? some based on real life situations but it’s very easy to get teary with fiction as well as real life, but some people who have been hurt in life harden themself to everything else
The real life hurt can be tucked deep down that they may come over hard or tough but it’s a coping mechanism they don’t even realise they have
I m not talking about anyone in particular just a general reflection on life

NanaTuesday Wed 17-Apr-24 22:46:58

kittylester
Angela Wynter portraying Yolande was absent superb ,definitely an award winning part 🙏

Joseann Wed 17-Apr-24 22:52:29

I wasn't expecting that.
A very powerful performance from the actress. I also felt Elaine, (Linda's mum), came across very well given the circumstances.

henetha Wed 17-Apr-24 23:24:43

It was particularly good tonight I thought. Good acting and a well scripted sensitive, and relevant, subject.