Gransnet forums

Christmas

Do you buy yourself a Christmas present?

(97 Posts)
Teetime Mon 30-Oct-17 09:17:28

Simply that - do you buy yourself a Christmas treat - if so what?

annsixty Tue 28-Nov-17 17:38:21

My phone will remain on my wish list. Today I have bought a new and needed fridge/freezer which will be delivered on Thursday. That will be my present to me.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Nov-17 12:06:16

Violet creams are in Aldi at £1.49 a box and they're gorgeous. They also have strawberry creams and orange creams too. But there stock of violet creams is diminishing!

Auntieflo Tue 28-Nov-17 12:03:56

Oooh, violet creams. Where did you find them Chewbacca?
Yes, I bought my Christmas present this morning, on line.

Willow500 Tue 28-Nov-17 07:36:42

Or should that be Elf control Chewbacca grin

Chewbacca Mon 27-Nov-17 23:16:37

Yup! And I know, even when I'm buying them that I won't be able to resist! No self control, lemon tchsad

lemongrove Mon 27-Nov-17 23:14:42

tchblush
Easily done, isn’t it?

Chewbacca Mon 27-Nov-17 23:12:48

and the dark chocolate violet creams

Chewbacca Mon 27-Nov-17 23:11:48

I'm afraid it does lemon. whereas I did NOT eat that box of chocolate florentines that I bought as part of a food hamper blush

lemongrove Mon 27-Nov-17 23:09:08

Although I don't buy myself a present, last week I did eat some chocolate thins ( salted caramel) that were to be put in with a friends Christmas present, does that count?

tidyskatemum Mon 27-Nov-17 19:53:12

Yes. Mum is in a nursing home with dementia and although she loves getting presents for herself it never occurs to her that any of her family should get anything. Ironic, since 10 years ago we always used to tease her that she went out looking for someone to buy a present for! I have power of attorney and give her grandchildren cash, which she always used to do, and buy myself a token gift. Birthdays are the same. It's sad when your parent doesn't remember.

merlotgran Mon 27-Nov-17 19:45:27

A book (at least I think it was a book) arrived from Amazon today but DH whisked it away before I could get at it.

This is the first time he's bought me anything without DD's help so I hope he lets them know which one he's bought because I know he's been peeking at my Amazon wishlist.

annsixty Mon 27-Nov-17 19:00:51

I have nearly, but not quite, decided on a new phone. Mine is a mini and my fingers are getting too fat.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Nov-17 18:29:57

I'm going to buy myself some new specs for Christmas; specifically the type that you can bend and twist and they don't break. I'm forever sitting on my specs and now I look like Eric Morecambe. Think they're more expensive than the usual ones but, hey, it's Christmas!

Willow500 Mon 27-Nov-17 17:42:21

I spotted something on tv the other day and asked OH to buy me it - it's just arrived but I've not opened it and won't until Christmas day. He has to wrap it up. Daft I know grin

MawBroon Mon 27-Nov-17 10:29:43

Oh dear guilty secret. The number of times I have bought things for friends especially the DDs’ MILs and sneaked in one “just for me” tchblush

Grannyben Sun 26-Nov-17 22:40:37

I'm on a very tight budget and after buying for my lovely family there really isn't anything left over. However, if there was, I think it would be lovely to buy myself a Christmas present. I would chose an expensive perfume I love. I've never actually had a bottle but I always have as free spray when I cut through thee chemist.
Today my daughter has been to as Christmas market. She has bought me fudge. I feel so happy that she thought of me and I will give her a big hug when I see her tomorrow

Telly Sun 26-Nov-17 17:17:42

To be honest I have bought myself the occasional present, especially when I have been a tad disappointed. Which seems to happen some years!

BlueBelle Thu 23-Nov-17 15:09:39

I ve never in all my life thought of buying myself a Christmas or birthday present that sounds totally mad to me I can totally understand anyone whose lost their mate buying something ‘from their partner’ I also buy myself bits and pieces as and when needed during the year
May I ask do you do your present up in pretty paper and put a notice on it to yourself and wish yourself a happy Christmas You’re all totally mad ?? said in the nicest possible way
I play ‘words with friends’ gummy drops and Word but why pay for games there are so many free ones I ve never paid for a game

Teetime Thu 23-Nov-17 13:27:50

I've just restarted Angry Birds and have been doing Words with Friends for years.
On the present theme perfume and gin levels are dangerously low so I feel a purchase coming on.

JackHarrington Thu 23-Nov-17 12:33:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

LadyGracie Mon 06-Nov-17 11:21:33

I’m having a new handbag, I’ve been using, almost constantly, an old one of my mothers who died 13 years ago. She loved it as do I. One of the straps is almost through as is one corner.

Magrithea Mon 06-Nov-17 10:19:12

I bought something at the weekend and told DH that he'd bought it for me for Christmas (used the joint account credit card to pay! grin)

Miep1 Wed 01-Nov-17 10:49:43

I might if I need/want something around that time of year, as I usually just get things as they are required, without needing to discuss it with anybody except myself! I live with my best friend, so we often buy each other little things over the year - this year though we are saving money to go on holiday so few presents. That's the idea, anyway...

Elrel Wed 01-Nov-17 10:13:20

I’m reminded of a social worker noticing an old lady’s sole Christmas card was oneshed sent to herself. I don’t know whether that was true.So sad.
There was also a poignant short story about an old lady who posted one parcel every Christmas and received just one. The same one.

Elrel Wed 01-Nov-17 10:07:05

All around the year I buy the things I really need. Occasionally I buy something I simply want.
I also give presents regardless of the date when I see something (maybe in a charity shop) I think a friend or family member would appreciate. Their surprised thanks can be a big treat for me, far better than anything I could buy myself.