Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas is here!

(23 Posts)
Bellasnana Fri 24-Nov-17 17:12:45

Thank you, BBbevan, that is so kind of you. I hope you have a lovely Christmas too. smile

BBbevan Fri 24-Nov-17 12:31:31

Bellasnanna I hope you both have a most wonderful time

vampirequeen Fri 24-Nov-17 11:41:14

We collected costume stuff and kept it in a big hamper. It meant that we rarely had to ask parents for costumes because it became a ridiculous competition which took the focus off the children and their hard work and replaced it with who had bought the best/most expensive costume.

Maggiemaybe Fri 24-Nov-17 09:46:58

Dressing up outfits are a whole new ball game now. You can buy such impressive ones so cheaply, thank goodness (surely most schools do just that for their Nativities?). I once sat up all night finishing a balsa wood plane for DS to hang around him for a Beaver procession of Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines. I was so pleased with my effort, but some of them on the day looked as if they could have taken off! The new series of Motherland takes me right back to those days of competitive mothering!

Bellasnana Fri 24-Nov-17 07:55:17

Since DH died I have felt very un-Christmassy, but this year I am going on a cruise with Galen so am actually looking forward to it smile

grannyactivist Fri 24-Nov-17 07:40:45

My daughter and son in law both have demanding jobs and their time with the children and each other is precious to them, so the prospect of them ferreting around to make costumes has little appeal I'm afraid.

BBbevan Fri 24-Nov-17 06:18:20

When I was teaching we kept a stock of Nativity costumes. No way parent's could afford to buy costumes. Anyway regular shops did not stock them.
Angels wore white pillow cases. Shepherd , tea towels etc. We had to be a bit more inventive with the Kings. But the odd bit of velvet, lace or silk was adapted. The children always looked splendid,and we enjoyed the challenge.

Cherrytree59 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:13:05

What happened to homemade nativity costumes?
DD said 'DGC is going to be a Shepherd in reception class school nativity play'
I say 'great, Tea towel, dressing gown and walking stick for crook'.
DD says Amazon.
Other Shepherd's mother said she is getting her
DS costume from Saintsbury! hmm

BBbevan Thu 23-Nov-17 20:06:03

Shhhh, so have I. Sitting room rearranged today to accommodate the tree. Even got al the bedlinen sorted for DS and family.?

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:04:03

I hope my adult children will be boring this year too.

Not Until Advent Lara - although we can think about it and plan.
I have been sewing Christmas bunting for days - why didn't I start last January?

Nelliemoser Thu 23-Nov-17 19:53:25

Can we have a thread for those who do not feel festive ?

cornergran Thu 23-Nov-17 19:08:25

Best whisper this but I’ve done ours too, grannya. Good feeling isn’t it? Can we please have a smug Christmas emoticon??? Or had I better don a hard hat grin.

grannyactivist Thu 23-Nov-17 18:47:30

Ahem - I have been more or less housebound for about four months. Therefore short forays into local shops, lots of time on my hands, plus a few online bargains have resulted in me having all of my Christmas gifts purchased and wrapped. The adult children are being very boring and have mostly asked for vouchers. tchsmile

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 18:41:38

tchsmile

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 18:40:51

Although I still haven’t bought any Christmas cards.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 18:40:14

Since this is the official all things Christmas thread, I will put on my smug paper crown and say that last night I ordered almost all the presents for the family online.All it needs now is one morning shopping for a few extra bits.smile

Smithy Thu 23-Nov-17 18:28:33

Go for it! What have you got to lose.

Juliette Thu 23-Nov-17 13:15:21

?? Yes Teetime ‘tis the law ??

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 12:32:23

Apologies, couldn’t get the # where I wanted it, iPad playing up.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 12:30:57

Strictly speaking Teetime yes, it would be infra dig as December has not yet arrived, but allowances can be made for croquet clubs ( they do things differently) grin

Askmeanetiquettequestion#

Ilovecheese Thu 23-Nov-17 11:57:37

If it's a Christmas lunch it would be a serious failing not to wear your Christmas jumper!

Teetime Thu 23-Nov-17 11:46:31

I have a question. My first Xmas celebration is a lunch with my newly formed Croquet Club on Monday 27th November. Would it be crass to wear my nee Xmas jumper - black with Christmas tree and jingle bells bearing the legend 'All the Jingle Ladies' , before 1st December?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Nov-17 11:40:29

Well, maybe not yet. Although the tinsel is beckoning... But we thought having a Christmas forum topic might be a good way of keeping all things Christmassy discussions together. And that way if you're not feeling festive just yet you can avoid those discussion too. Now we just need to get those Santa hats on the emoticons...