Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Cards

(59 Posts)
NanKate Tue 28-Nov-17 07:40:20

I wish I didn't find it such a chore writing Christmas cards.

I now email a Christmas letter and personal note to friends living abroad.

I wish we were all restricted to sending 10 each.

Where do you stand on Christmas cards ?

Daddima Sun 10-Dec-17 11:12:21

Many years ago, a death in our family meant no cards were sent. It was amazing how the number we received dropped the next year!
Since then, I haven’t sent any cards, and maybe receive a dozen or so, mostly from neighbours.
I make 3 or 4 Christmas telephone calls to faraway friends.

Jan51 Sun 10-Dec-17 10:59:51

Just had a fb message from son-in-law's parents to say how much they liked their personalised Christmas card (done through one of the on line companies). I try to choose a card that reflects their interests. She collects teddy bears so chose a card with 2 bears and added the couples names. She going to frame it after Christmas to add to her collection.

Nanny27 Thu 07-Dec-17 07:21:52

I take your point nookie but I think the issue of homelessness etc is with us all year whereas sending a small token in the form of a card to loved ones at Christmas shows that they are in your thoughts and that you care about them.

nookie Thu 30-Nov-17 01:05:51

Because we live abroad the cost to send Christmas cards to the UK and Ireland last year was just over £40. This does not factor in the cost of the cards. I really do wonder why we spend so much, when there are people struggling and homelessness is still an issue. Do we put more value on a piece of card from a distant relative/friend than helping those less fortunate than us?

MesMopTop Wed 29-Nov-17 02:10:07

Thankyou Blue60. I don't have a lot of spare time but card making would be ideal. I adore hand made items and I think this is something I could quite enjoy. Birthday cards too.

Greengage Tue 28-Nov-17 23:45:14

I buy mainly charity cards to send though I do sometimes make a few for family members, and send 80-100. I try to make each one personal by adding a sentence or two giving news etc. I don't resent the cost as I would happily buy the recipients a coffee if I saw them. It is a bit of a lengthy job but doing it matters to me. I like receiving cards and always display them all to get maximum pleasure from the efforts made by others.

busybee6969 Tue 28-Nov-17 22:17:15

keep a list each year,if i dont get one off someone cross off my list,keep few address one i need to post on a piece of paper with list saves having to find address,cuts down on time and stress.received my first xmas card in post today 28th november from old friend from years ago she is first every year.i hate this job but this way it is less stressful

jeanie99 Tue 28-Nov-17 21:15:33

I like to send Christmas cards to people I see rarely like old colleagues with a letter to catch up and get news. Sometimes phone and e-mail not necessarily at Christmas but sometimes during the year.
I buy charity cards they are just part of Christmas for me it's no big deal but if you don't want to send cards or can't afford it then don't.
The people I know who don't send cards just e-mail it's just part of keeping in touch with old friends.

Cathy21 Tue 28-Nov-17 21:03:45

I make most of my cards so very very busy'!!!!!!

1974cookie Tue 28-Nov-17 20:49:18

I still send a few cards, but I do love the free greeting cards that I send and indeed receive online, especially this time year.
Many of the Xmas ones are truly fabulous and so much fun with animated scenes and lovely music, unlike the tinny jingly jangly sounds that you get from a shop bought card. I can write the exact same sentiments as I would on a normal card. My friends and family love them. It means that I can donate the money to charity that would have been spent on postage which is a complete rip off.

TheGlovers1 Tue 28-Nov-17 20:15:33

I gave up writing the wretched pointless things a couple of years ago .I donate money to a charity instead.

Shizam Tue 28-Nov-17 19:50:11

Christmas cards are one of the only bits of Christmas that I like! It’s kept me in touch with friends that I didn’t see for ages, when we were all too busy with kids and work, but now we have more time, we do see each other. Without the ritual each year, reckon we would have lost touch. But, yes, they are a pain to do. Especially as I now rarely hand write for long. Kills my hand!

Aepgirl Tue 28-Nov-17 18:35:07

What a lot of bah humbug! Just think of the people you know who have few friends, live in old folks' homes, have no family. Just a card with a cheery greeting can give so much pleasure.

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Nov-17 16:42:12

I love receiving cards too, but writing them not so much! I still write around 60, but we deliver most of them by hand (or rather, DH does - division of labour). It is satisfying though, when they're all done, and it's worth the effort to get everyone else's news and Christmas wishes. They're part of the Christmas decor, as well - there are some beautiful cards around. And of course if you buy directly from charities, they get the benefit as well. Emails and ecards don't come close, imho - you can't put them on the mantelpiece for starters!

Maggiemaybe Tue 28-Nov-17 16:42:12

I love receiving cards too, but writing them not so much! I still write around 60, but we deliver most of them by hand (or rather, DH does - division of labour). It is satisfying though, when they're all done, and it's worth the effort to get everyone else's news and Christmas wishes. They're part of the Christmas decor, as well - there are some beautiful cards around. And of course if you buy directly from charities, they get the benefit as well. Emails and ecards don't come close, imho - you can't put them on the mantelpiece for starters!

gagsy Tue 28-Nov-17 16:18:42

I love receiving cards and write about 100. I hear from school friends, friends I met whilst training, old neighbours, old work mates etc. I wouldn’t miss it for anything

gagsy Tue 28-Nov-17 16:18:41

I love receiving cards and write about 100. I hear from school friends, friends I met whilst training, old neighbours, old work mates etc. I wouldn’t miss it for anything

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Nov-17 15:48:32

I only send four or five cards to elderly friends or relations who I know are not computer users. Everyone else gets an e-mail, sent to each person individually, as I don't feel comfortable sending group e-mails unless everyone in the group already know each other and have exchanged e-mail addresses.

I simply cannot afford to send cards, as the cheapest postal rate is 90 cents if I go across the border into Germany and buy my stamps there. Cards cost over £1 each here, unless one can find a cheap offer, so thee is no way I can possibly send out loads of Christmas cards.

E-mails are free and I give some money to a homeless shelter or to meals for the disadvantaged instead.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Nov-17 15:48:31

I only send four or five cards to elderly friends or relations who I know are not computer users. Everyone else gets an e-mail, sent to each person individually, as I don't feel comfortable sending group e-mails unless everyone in the group already know each other and have exchanged e-mail addresses.

I simply cannot afford to send cards, as the cheapest postal rate is 90 cents if I go across the border into Germany and buy my stamps there. Cards cost over £1 each here, unless one can find a cheap offer, so thee is no way I can possibly send out loads of Christmas cards.

E-mails are free and I give some money to a homeless shelter or to meals for the disadvantaged instead.

SallyDapp Tue 28-Nov-17 15:26:40

I don't write cards anymore. Just the odd one or two to long distance relatives who don't have email addresses. I email messages and send money to charity instead. We also, as a family, do secret Santa with a price limit of roughly £50 so there is just the one good quality, wanted present. Hey ho, less shopping, less wrapping, less card writing, less worrying and less stress. (Although I still buy for the dgc) Christmas should be something to look forward to not something to fret about.

SallyDapp Tue 28-Nov-17 15:26:40

I don't write cards anymore. Just the odd one or two to long distance relatives who don't have email addresses. I email messages and send money to charity instead. We also, as a family, do secret Santa with a price limit of roughly £50 so there is just the one good quality, wanted present. Hey ho, less shopping, less wrapping, less card writing, less worrying and less stress. (Although I still buy for the dgc) Christmas should be something to look forward to not something to fret about.

mumofmadboys Tue 28-Nov-17 14:17:51

I made a list of 8 folk who are more my DH's friends than mine. I got DH to write these. Imagine my despair when he used the wrong envelooes for several cards!! Perhaps he was hoping I wouldn't ask him again!!

mags1234 Tue 28-Nov-17 14:13:54

I put on fb I’m not sending cards and will give postage to local hospice.

Jan51 Tue 28-Nov-17 13:27:52

I have about 26 to write for posting and we have all the addresses stored in the computer as a template to print labels. DH printed the labels on Sunday and I spent 1 hour writing the cards and putting on the labels. I did all the close family cards on Funky Pigeon while they had an offer on. 10 personalised cards, sent straight to recipients,for £21 including postage. It would have been much more expensive to get them in a shop and no personalisation. They are all due to be sent out on 8th December.

Hm999 Tue 28-Nov-17 13:26:20

Receiving a Christmas card is a big deal for the lonely, be they old or young.