Gransnet forums

Christmas

Reverse advent Calendars

(10 Posts)
Jalima1108 Tue 28-Nov-17 19:42:19

Oh! By 15th December.
We have a shoebox appeal here and they have to be in by 1st December (Bristol and S Wales).

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Nov-17 19:41:24

When do they get delivered if you 'pop something in each day in the run-up to Christmas'?

maryeliza54 Tue 28-Nov-17 19:36:02

Our local food bank gave advice on what to donate - there must be local variations in need so that’s where I’d start. The only other issue is to be sure when is the latest they can accept the donations so again, ring or email them

Stansgran Tue 28-Nov-17 18:52:46

Oh thank you hildaj. I thought it might mean more things on the first day . I was puzzled.

hildajenniJ Tue 28-Nov-17 18:41:09

Here is an article that might help you Stansgran. It's got guidelines as to what to include in your box. It sounds like a good idea. www.changing-lives.org.uk/news/reverse-advent-calendar-2017/

PamelaJ1 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:34:45

Giving to a food bank never leaves me feeling good about myself. You know, that warm glow that you get when you feel you have done a good thing.
I feel guilty that I’m donating the basics (value lines) rather than the brands I buy for myself. BUT that means I can buy more so more people benefit. At Christmas I go all out and buy really nice food so they can have some treats.
We do the reverse advent calendar at our church. The point being that so many people forget that the need is still there in the new year.

suzied Tue 28-Nov-17 17:58:56

Food bank so would be more than happy with a cash donation if that is easier for you.

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Nov-17 17:50:33

They could have made a list of suggestions because the food bank will know what they need.

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Nov-17 17:49:40

Food banks tend to get lots of the same types of food such as tinned beans, tinned tomatoes etc.
DN says they are always short of tinned fruit etc.

At this time of year I would add some seasonal things to the normal basics of a shop, plus toiletries, chocs for children etc.

Stansgran Tue 28-Nov-17 17:43:23

There's been an email from church asking for people to group together to do a reverse advent calendars for the food bank. Two questions:- what is a reverse advent calendar and secondly as I was planning on £25 which is best- five things at £5 or 25 things under £1 like sardines or cans of tomatoes? I feel a bit stupid asking this of the sender so I prefer the anonymity of gransnet.blush