Gransnet forums

Christmas

Fir wreath or one made of baubles?

(29 Posts)
minimo Thu 30-Nov-17 11:55:49

I usually go the natural traditional route but am thinking a bauble version might look quite good for a change. Have you put your wreath up yet? What are you going for?

Witzend Sat 02-Dec-17 10:04:22

I usually buy a pine one with a few bits added, take off anything a bit tacky and add my own, plus a big red ribbon.

Have never made one. Do always make a table decoration though (it goes on the hall table) with various bits from the garden, and a candle, stuck into oasis, in a copper bowl.
I'm not at all artistic generally speaking, but as long as I stick enough different greenery in it always looks very nice!

Every year I do it, put it on the hall table and wait for Dh to a) notice, and b) say something - he never does, but then he never really notices anything much anyway. Have always said I could go out topless with my nipples painted green and he wouldn't notice - that might be a slight exaggeration, though. ;-)

Lazigirl Sat 02-Dec-17 09:35:45

I love the sprout wreath. Add a few carrots and parsnips and you can keep them fresh on front door, taking off what you need for Christmas dinner? Saves fridge room.

ninathenana Fri 01-Dec-17 17:12:39

H staples ours to the wooden front door. No good if you've got UPVC though.
I read an idea the other day. If you tie two wreaths together with ribbon and loop the ribbon over the top of the door they will hold each other in place, one inside and one out.

Norah Fri 01-Dec-17 14:19:07

I make mine from fir, cones, holly, ivy from the garden, baubles, fairy lights, red ribbons.

Willow500 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:05:29

Ah I bought some of those Command hooks the other day for my OH to hang his dressing gown on the new bedroom door. I'll 'borrow' it and see if it works.

lemongrove Fri 01-Dec-17 11:44:54

Then you can dismantle it and cook them.tchsmile

Fennel Fri 01-Dec-17 11:43:16

Well done grin

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 01-Dec-17 11:23:03

Knew I'd seen one!

Fennel Fri 01-Dec-17 11:12:34

I get a weekly gardening magazine and there are some lovely ideas this week for wreaths, table decorations etc.
I don't know if this link will work:
www.mlivres.com/rustica-n2501-1-decembre-2017

glammanana Fri 01-Dec-17 10:00:36

I put a traditional holy wreath with bows and berries on the front door we have had it for many years, and inside have a baubles one in all gold which matches the large gold baubles I have hanging across my lounge window pole,very simple but nice.

Elrel Thu 30-Nov-17 20:52:18

Sprouts. There's an idea. Thank you Baggs!! Picture?

Elrel Thu 30-Nov-17 20:51:00

Since I first put my cheapo Wilko one up several years ago several neighbours in my humble terrace have put up door wreaths. They are mostly far superior to mine but none so far have been stolen. I've had my small front garden transformed this year from a tangle to a neat low maintenance courtyard. It deserves a new, possibly real, wreath but I'm rather attached to the Wilko one. As bits have fallen off I've added tinsel and other shiny bits and pieces but am worried my lovely hardworking gardener will be shocked that it doesn't enhance his careful creation of a respectable garden!

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 30-Nov-17 20:30:42

I love the bauble ones, but there's not a hope in hell of it surviving more than one Christmas - and even one would be risky! grin

lemongrove Thu 30-Nov-17 20:24:21

I want to buy a new one this year, but not keen on the baubles look, if you have a very new and modern house it would probably look good though.

Teetime Thu 30-Nov-17 19:25:54

Mine is being made a local farm form fresh picked greenery and a nice ribbon

midgey Thu 30-Nov-17 17:59:31

I bought a pvc stick on hook, think it’s made by Command. It’s still on the door from last year but will come off without damaging anything. Can’t really notice it until you are up close. Not sure if I will bothe with a wreath or not this year!

Lazigirl Thu 30-Nov-17 17:56:37

You know Baggs that's not a bad idea all sewn together in a string with some sprayed silver and gold, or on stalk with fetching bows to tie them tchwink

ginny Thu 30-Nov-17 17:48:29

Make my own. Usually a mix of fresh and artificial. Will be adding some baubles this year.

BBbevan Thu 30-Nov-17 16:50:38

I always make my own from things in the garden. Fir, Holly, ivy , laurel, a couple of dried artichoke heads sprayed gold, Etc. Etc.

Baggs Thu 30-Nov-17 14:23:12

grin

Mine's made of Brussel's Sprouts.

baubles Thu 30-Nov-17 14:17:08

Not sure I could hold the position for long!

Overthehills Thu 30-Nov-17 13:55:20

Willow500 - my DD says you can buy heavy duty suction hooks. I didn’t have an outdoor one last year because we have a uPVC (I think!) door in the new house but will look out for one of these hooks. I always made one and missed it last year.

Willow500 Thu 30-Nov-17 12:38:48

I've got one with lights on it this year and cant decide whether to try and hang it on the door or use it on the table with candles in it. How do you all hang them on the door - the over the top hook thing won't fit on our front door?

PamelaJ1 Thu 30-Nov-17 12:35:35

I saw some made out of ‘rags’ like the rugs on Sunday.
Tartan and red and green, they looked lovely.

minimo Thu 30-Nov-17 12:22:11

That sounds lovely, nina. I've toyed with the idea of making one but I suspect I'll probably get all the bits together but never actually get round to it!