Gransnet forums

Christmas

Trying to decide whether to buy this Christmas Present for my 7 yr old

(33 Posts)
manchesterma1 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:55:07

Hi,

I have lovely grandson whom I see every two/three weeks (we live about an hour away from my DS) I wanted to get him a gift that connected us a bit more. My friend told me about a company that does a subscription box that is delivered monthly and is country-themed. So they essentially learn about a new country each month and there are activities to try such as a craft one and a recipe idea - I thought it could be something we do together. The problem is, they don't deliver the first box until January - do you think i should look for something else or download the 'gift certificate' they offer and just tell him all about so he gets excited-don't want him to be disappointed on Christmas day.

Elrel Wed 06-Dec-17 20:58:45

GD loved 4 tickets for the family to see The Tiger Who Came to Tea for her 3rd birthday! I gave her the book some weeks before.
GS aged 7 enjoys membership of RSBP and also Whizz Pop Bang, a science magazine he was given a year ago.

annifrance Wed 06-Dec-17 12:50:51

My 7yr old DGD has requested a BuildaBear so I will take her there after Christmas. All my DGCs love it and have all been twice.

They love choosing the skin, filling it with Kapok blowing machine, putting in a heart and a chip, choosing an outfit and then applying for it's passport. Great fun.

dumdum Wed 06-Dec-17 12:09:13

Just ordered Aquila for two of mine.8 &10yo. Science based mag. Younger one particularly into science, maths etc.

damewithaname Wed 06-Dec-17 09:58:00

My son is 8 and I love the idea you have to do this with your gs but I do believe he will be a disappointed because they still do want gifts to unwrap. Maybe do the certificate but if you can get a gift (small) for the tree.

thecatgrandma Wed 06-Dec-17 08:17:07

Too young for it I think. It would be discarded on Christmas Day and you’d feel awful. But I’d try very hard to afford it anyway and give it to him on another occasion. It would be lovely to do together.

Lisalou Sun 03-Dec-17 07:52:20

Thank you OP, I have been looking into this, and have spoken to the Little Globe staff online - they seem very with it and answered my message very quickly. Pending postage costs (I live in Spain), I think I will get this for my 10 year old for Christmas. They get so many things on the day, that they wont mind one present being a voucher - and then a present every month all year, wow. Also, something to look forward to AFTER Christmas day, which I see as a bonus!

janeayressister Sun 03-Dec-17 06:54:06

The first thing I would do is discuss the proposed present with my DIL Why not? There are plenty of posts about the difficulties between MILs and DILs on Gransnet and Mumsnet. Just make sure that your DIL thinks it's Ok.
Anything deemed 'large' has got to go somewhere in her house.

newnanny Sat 02-Dec-17 23:40:08

I have given a season ticket to a zoo before and that went down very well and I took gs too.

Overthehills Sat 02-Dec-17 21:43:11

Some fantastic ideas on here, thankyou all very much - I hadn’t heard of these things and think my DGD would love some of them, especially the computer game.

M0nica Sat 02-Dec-17 18:02:56

No problem giving that to a 7 year old, as long as you know enough about him to know it is something he will enjoy. Both my children would have enjoyed it at 7 so would both of my DGC.

I gave DGD tickets to the ballet, The Nutcracker, when she was 4 1/2 and she fully understood the process of waiting several weeks before she went to the theatre to see the show. I gave her something small as well. You could do likewise.

EmilyHarburn Sat 02-Dec-17 11:56:33

Lovely present. You could give him the lonely planet kids amazing world atlas - Bringing the world to life. New costs £14.99 ISBN 978 1 74360 389 5
then maybe he has also had his birthday present.

ExaltedWombat Sat 02-Dec-17 10:42:16

You do realise this is a present for YOU, not for him?

durhamjen Sat 02-Dec-17 10:11:38

That's good, Grandma70.
There's a lot to read in it, isn't there? Good bitesize pieces; then you can expand on anything online.
My daughter in law then takes them to use in her job as a TA.
They are well used.
We always do the big debate, then vote online.

Bbbface Sat 02-Dec-17 09:57:25

I say that as the mother of a 4 year old.

Lovely present just not for now

Bbbface Sat 02-Dec-17 09:56:58

OP

He’s too young for it. Trust me.
Cancel and then buy in at least 2 Years

Grandma70s Sat 02-Dec-17 08:25:23

Durhamjen, my grandson, now 8 and a half, has been reading The Week Junior since he was seven, so I wouldn’t bother about age. They pick out the bits that interest them. He has Aquila, too.

grannyqueenie Sat 02-Dec-17 07:33:11

I did subscriptions to National Geoegraphic Kids for two 9 years olds last year, that seemed to go down well. They had a cuddly toy jungle animal to open on the day. With a special it was quite reasonable and they both enjoyed getting a magazine every month.

durhamjen Fri 01-Dec-17 23:54:54

When my grandson was seven he was given a computer game where he followed a boy around the world and learnt facts about each country he came to. I think it was called World Explorer.
He is now 15 and geography is still his favourite subject.
So obviously I would recommend getting anything like that.
Last year I started a subscription to The Week Junior for him and his sister, and they both enjoy reading it.
It's probably a bit old for him, directed at 9-14 year olds.
But he gets upset if it doesn't arrive on a Friday, as it didn't today.

Squiffy Fri 01-Dec-17 23:40:46

Thanks Manchestermal. Out of my league pricewise I’m afraid.

Lucky I thought the same after googling!

manchesterma1 Fri 01-Dec-17 22:49:39

Hi Squiffy, they haven't opened their website yet, they said that's next week but I emailed them and asked for prices - this is what they said;

Monthly Direct Debit: £12.95 (cancel anytime)
6 Month Upfront Payment: £74.95
12 Month Upfront Payment: £145.00 PLUS a free kids cotton Our Little Globe apron

Hope that helps - i think i'm going to for the six month option.

Luckygirl Fri 01-Dec-17 15:57:37

Is this an ad?

Squiffy Fri 01-Dec-17 15:25:44

Manchestermal Could you, please, tell me how much the subscription is? When I look on the website, all I get is a request for my email address! There’s no menu to click on (I’m using my iphone) Thanks ?

silverlining48 Fri 01-Dec-17 14:17:50

Have ordered a subscription to a magazine for gd 8th birthday this week. It wont be delivered until after so have got her something she can unwrap which relates to the mag. I think she will love to get post addressed to her every month and nope she finds it of interest.
Will check out the one you mention, it sounds interesting.

manchesterma1 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:30:43

Thanks so much everyone -so the company have told me that the box also comes with a big map for the wall - so the map idea goes out the window. It sounds like such great value and he get a little letter with his name on the front from a 'friend' in each country, I know he will love getting something through the post.

In case anyone is interested I found them on Facebook, called @ourlittleglobe and I signed up with my email to get their free delivery coupon
Happy for him to wait til January to receive! Thanks everyone.

NotTooOld Fri 01-Dec-17 11:16:11

I think that sounds a great idea, manchester. I get so fed up with the horrible plastic toys that kids are usually given (I'm as guilty as the rest). This is a much better option. Like others have remarked, I think he will have so many other presents to open on 25/12 that he probably doesn't need another one but if it makes you feel better then a map is a very good idea. Perhaps a poster sized one he could stick up on his bedroom wall? Incidentally, you do realise he will soon be badgering you to actually take him to some of the places on the map? Hope you are prepared. grin