Gransnet forums

Christmas

Present?????

(21 Posts)
Kittye Tue 05-Dec-17 18:31:44

As there's nothing we especially need we "buy" places for Christmas dinners for the homeless. If you google Crisis at Christmas you can get the details. We buy a stocking filler for each other to open Christmas morning.

MaluCatchu1 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:07:58

Thank you all! I couldn't imagine waking up on Christmas morning to no exchange of gifts, that would, to me at least, feel very sad all the time that we have one another. I have now got him: a bottle with stuff in that you add white rum to and make pina colada (we drank loads on our last holiday), a "remote boat" as we have so many remote controls one or the other of us are always accidently sitting on them and accidently turning over the tv, turning on a light, turning on the fire - we have remote everything so will be good to keep them safely together! I have also had a bowl personalised with "cereal killer" with blood running down the sides and his name on. Sad but true! Oh and some smellies although he has gallons but it IS Christmas! Chocolate coins and some socks, of course! Nothing thrilling but something to unwrap. I'll do a card and suggest a trip to the theatre or a weekend away that we would chose together. Happy Christmas!

glammanana Tue 05-Dec-17 11:19:06

What about a subscription to one of his hobby magazines or maybe a course of art/cookery lessons ideal for the man who has everything.

J52 Tue 05-Dec-17 11:11:49

Oops tchgrin

J52 Tue 05-Dec-17 11:11:24

Your Christmas gifts sound like ours Teetime. I do hope the smelly and sparkly aren’t a Kipper and a tube of glitter! [tcgrin]

Teetime Tue 05-Dec-17 10:53:25

We have presents on Xmas Day and I hope we always will enjoy a glass of champagne whilst opening up a few treats that we wouldn't buy for ourselves. Even if DH has enough clothes I usually get him a new jumper so I can throw out one of the grottier ones, a special bottle of wine or new whisky, some lovely aftershave so he smells nice for me and some special chocolates/sweets. All predictable but all part of the fun for us. DH asked me what I would like this year and I said something smelly and something sparkly please.

Lindylo Tue 05-Dec-17 10:52:59

How about arranging to do something together - a meal out or a visit to the cinema or theatre?

hildajenniJ Tue 05-Dec-17 10:40:10

What about a hairdressing voucher? I don't know if Barbers do them, but getting your haircut round here is getting more expensive every time my DH goes. He complains bitterly about it! Or, you could put together a little food hamper of delicious extravagant things to eat that you wouldn't normally have during the rest of the year.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:17:54

Just love opening presents Christmas morning. I put a variety of things in a Christmas sack for dh - book, jumpers nice top, pyjamas - sometimes a wallet etc. He does the same for me although this year he wanted to get me a Bluetooth mini speaker which I chose.

lemongrove Mon 04-Dec-17 21:24:17

DH is difficult to buy for ( like many men) so we usually settle for a few small surprise gifts.

Stansgran Mon 04-Dec-17 19:50:10

We both have stockings courtesy of St Nic and they always include for DH socks,shaving soap refills razors,dark chocolate, sweater,and book. I'm giving him a years supply of cheese toasties which will come once a month. I was given a bottle of craft gin with bits as a present every other month last Christmas and DH was more excited than I was when it was delivered so as his tummy rules him I thought this might appeal.

Coolgran65 Mon 04-Dec-17 19:05:50

DH used to be in the forces and I found a site run by Veterans that produces cushion covers etc. so I got an appropriate cover. The quality didn't quite match the cost but it will be OK on display on top of the cabinet.

DH carries a small comb in his hip pocket which always ends up snapping in two. I came across a man-comb, it folds into a silver metal cover, so I've ordered that, the reviews for it are very positive.

He plays bowls and I've ordered a personalised terry towel in his club colours with his name embroidered on it. That was very reasonable, more of a stocking filler.

Greyduster Mon 04-Dec-17 18:30:27

DH and I will not give each other a present this year. There is nothing that either of us want. That we are here for each other and our children and grandchild is present enough.

Smithy Mon 04-Dec-17 18:13:52

I don't have a hubby but it always seems strange to me that long married couples buy each other things for Christmas, especially one couple I know who tell each other what they want then wrap them up for Christmas - or am I missing something? Maybe just get what you want then get each other a little surprise to open on Christmas day.

M0nica Mon 04-Dec-17 18:11:04

An 'experience' or theatre or concert tickets, even a promise can be beautifully gift wrapped to go under the tree.

NotAGran55 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:38:46

We stopped buying for each other years ago too . We are going away for a few days after Christmas - much better than buying stuff we don't want or need .
In fact we don't buy for any adults in our extended families - only ' students in full time education or special needs ' qualifies for a gift .

In my view its not what's under the tree that counts , its who is around it .

tanith Mon 04-Dec-17 13:32:43

We do the same, no presents but treat ourselves to a meal or trip away.

suzied Mon 04-Dec-17 13:18:27

A nice meal in a restaurant / weekend away something you can both enjoy - my DH and I have stopped buying each other presents we now treat ourselves!

Ilovecheese Mon 04-Dec-17 13:17:37

Are there any meals that he likes and you don't, so that you never cook them?
You could make him a voucher to say you will cook him that meal.
(I am assuming that you do the cooking, apologies if not!)

Daddima Mon 04-Dec-17 13:16:09

What about an “ experience” of some kind, like helicopter tour, flying lesson, sports car driving etc?
The Bodach and I stopped giving each other a while ago.

MaluCatchu1 Mon 04-Dec-17 13:09:06

HELP! I have no idea what to get the my DH for Christmas. He has everything he wants and what he doesn't have he gets for himself - much the same as me, which is a nightmare for others at gift giving time. He has absolutely everything for his hobbies, a new phone, electronic gadgets galore, doesn't really drink, doesn't need clothes - I'm completely stumped. Suggestions please (tchconfused)