Gransnet forums

Christmas

I mislaid the Eiffel Tower

(20 Posts)
Auntieflo Sat 09-Dec-17 23:54:56

Our little tree is also fibre optic, but we do hang ornaments onto it. At the top is our angel, mostly feathers, which are now really quite grey and sparse, but we can't have Christmas without her. Also a bell from India and three glass knick knacks from China amongst others.

fiorentina51 Sat 09-Dec-17 23:15:21

I have two cotton wool snowmen made by DS and DD. They have to go on the tree every year.

callgirl1 Sat 09-Dec-17 23:12:21

Our tree is fibre optic, therefore no baubles or other trimmings, but years ago Gillybob, we`d have loved your Christmas caravan!

GrandmaMoira Sat 09-Dec-17 19:32:53

I have two Santas given to us in the 80s by my MIL when my boys were small. Everything else is quite modern.

Marydoll Sat 09-Dec-17 19:19:51

We have a little crib we bought in Italy many years ago. It became a family joke, as when I opened it, there were two Marys and no Joseph. However, it goes out every year.
Yesterday we spent the whole day looking for it, DH was up and down into the loft a dozen times, but still no crib.
I was telling my DD this morning. She said, "Is it the one with the two Marys? You gave it to me last year, it's in my flat!"

Anniepops Sat 09-Dec-17 17:40:06

I have one bauble which belonged to my mam. It must easily be older than me at 62. I can still see it on the Christmas tree of my childhood glittering among the large bulbous looking lights. I loved staring into that tree, playing with the ornaments, watching them spin and twist in the draught from the coal fire. This one that I have left is the only remaining glass one on my tree. It's lost most of its colour and sparkle, but it's memory of my childhood, my parents plus two sisters long gone, makes it the most treasured one for me.

Greyduster Sat 09-Dec-17 17:18:20

We have a small metal angel, bought from Harrods on a visit to London in the seventies. Her name is Hark! (Hark the Harrods angel!). We also put up some Christmas peculiarities made by GS from DAS clay. I wouldn’t be without those.

Alygran Sat 09-Dec-17 17:03:49

A shell decorated by DD1 when she was 5 (now 36), a felt Father Christmas made by DD2 the same year. All 3 of us have matching baubles from holidays including a yellow New York taxi with a Christmas tree on its roof

Mapleleaf Sat 09-Dec-17 16:44:30

I've got a sparkly kiwi, too, maryeliza54 and a penguin, both from NZ. Made out of paua shell, I think. Brings back lovely memories of visiting my Uncle.

Menopaws Sat 09-Dec-17 16:39:15

Yep I have a crepe/loo roll cracker made by my daughter, a huge pastry dec that weighs branch down and numerous memory filled baubles etc, none of the colour or light themes here, loads of family memories. Haven't had a tree for several years as it freaks disabled grandson out but with another year old now I want to do one for her so looking forward to decorating it tonight.

Anniebach Sat 09-Dec-17 16:24:53

A bright pink Chinese lantern

maryeliza54 Sat 09-Dec-17 15:57:23

I have a very small green sparkly kiwi from dear NZ friends - he’s always near the top of the tree so I can easily spot him.

annsixty Sat 09-Dec-17 13:00:17

Still put on every year is the toilet roll inner Father Christmas made by my S in his first year at school. He is 47 but I couldnt not use it, the red crepe paper is almost disintegrating and the cotton wool is dirty grey but very treasured.

gillybob Sat 09-Dec-17 12:58:12

I have a Christmas Robot, a Christmas Sock Monkey and a Christmas caravan

eGJ Sat 09-Dec-17 12:20:41

We have a Christmas branch (it came down in the Big Storm and is painted white) Each year we would each choose an ornament we thought described ourselves that time;they now remind me of the stages of growing up. Some are not so tasteful, some exquisite. Happy memories! tchsmile

midgey Sat 09-Dec-17 11:53:12

I do have old ones I love but I saw some ‘gin baubles’ on the the tv......think I might need those too!

kittylester Sat 09-Dec-17 10:50:31

I've got a bauble from Las Vegas with cards, chips and dice inside. It was bought by DD2 - I put it at the back!

goldengirl Sat 09-Dec-17 10:49:21

A wooden koala, kangaroo and a wombat! Happy memories of my visit to OZ and my paternal roots. If only Australia wasn't so far away.......

Oldwoman70 Sat 09-Dec-17 10:47:43

Nothing quirky but I still use the decorations my DH and I bought for our first Christmas together. We didn't have much money and they were cheap and cheerful. They have lost most of their tinsel and are definitely looking their age. Our last Christmas together DH suggested buying some new ones but I wouldn't part with them for the world. I did buy a new pre-lit tree last year but I still have the old Christmas lights in the loft!

Teetime Sat 09-Dec-17 10:14:00

DH and I decorated the Christmas Tree last night and although it looked pretty something was missing. During the night I awoke in a cold sweat where was the Eiffel Tower and for that matter the Christmas Owl and the Christmas Butterfly? These three tree ornaments were bought by my daughter some years ago and they just have to be on the tree especially the Eiffel tower so we can all do the family joke - You can see the Eiffel Tower from here. Luckily they turned up this morning under some old newspaper I had wrapped the nativity figures in.
Any quirky ornaments on your tree? tchsmile