Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas decoration

(84 Posts)
jenpax Sun 10-Dec-17 15:37:54

This year for a convoluted reason I will be alone on Christmas Day.I am wondering if it’s worth putting Christmas decorations up. Do other people put Christmas decorations up when they aren’t having family over?

Christinefrance Thu 14-Dec-17 19:24:17

So sorry to hear of your loss mpb I think you are doing exactly the right thing for you and others you will be helping at Christmas, I hope you find peace and contentment in 2018 flowers
Low key and tasteful is not me either for the decorations, put it all up there with each memory it holds and enjoy.

M0nica Thu 14-Dec-17 15:10:36

My heart always goes out to those who lose family close to Christmas and all my sympathy goes to you mpb. No one can feel happy on a day of feasting and jollity when you have suffered a grievous loss so close to it.

They turned the my sister's life support off on Easter Sunday. As Christians, Easter Sunday is about Christ rising from the grave, new beginnings and new life. We certainly did not feel that, that Easter, nor the next when we went away as a family to place where all church services were in a foreign language, but after that we slowly recovered - as you will too*mpb*. I do not know when, there is no timetable. You do not stop grieving, but you get used to it, the loss is always there but so are the memories of all the good and happy times.

Maggiemaybe Wed 13-Dec-17 17:03:01

I'm so sorry for your loss, mpb1952A. flowers

mpb1952A Wed 13-Dec-17 13:51:08

Thank you for your kind s thoughts

Franbern Wed 13-Dec-17 10:01:06

I have never really liked the tinsel and glitter of christmas and, these days, actually resent the light pollution that comes from so many people thinking that they need to decorate the outside of their homes as well as inside.
When the children were small, and the in the years I had Christmas at my house, with g.children I did decorate, not a lot, but enough to keep them all happy. Always was delighted when I got it all down and put away on New Years Eve. A couple of years back, thinking I was moving to a smaller place I got rid of all the decorations I stored, and have never felt any need to replace them. I am always away at Christmas, and really cannot see the point. I am not a killjoy, enjoy any festive occasion, whatever religion it is supposed to be based on. Do get all my children and g.children Festive Presents. But decorations - no thanks, particularly the lit ones.

Mapleleaf Wed 13-Dec-17 08:48:01

mpb1952A I am so sorry to hear of your loss and echo BlueBelle's sentiments.
Jenpax, you must do as you feel best, but I do think some decorations look cheery, especially a few lights.

BlueBelle Wed 13-Dec-17 04:24:02

Mpb I just would like to say how sorry I am to hear your news and hope you can find some comfort in the work you are planning to do instead of celebrating this Christmas
I hope you find some peace in 2018 ?

mpb1952A Wed 13-Dec-17 02:02:33

I have just taken the Christmas tree down as my beloved husband died on Monday after a long battle with illness. I can not pretend to feel Happy and jolly, but I can not cope with all the people who are telling me how sad it is he has died. In the end he had nothing but pain I am relieved he is not suffering anymore. My day will be spent going to a local care home for people with mental illness and learning difficulties to help bring them some happiness. My family can do and think what ever they want this year I do not care! My advice to you is think of yourself and don't give a dam about what others think try and find something to do like me or spend the day doing what ever makes you happy. Remember Christmas as we know it is just a commercial con and you should not feel obliged to join in if you don't feel like it!

wot Tue 12-Dec-17 22:47:38

The beginning of my Christmas effort!

Floradora9 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:28:10

I would have nothing at all but for the fact the DGC will be coming. I refuse to even put up cards.

Hamish11 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:18:01

I’m away at my Xmas so not done any decks only got cards up

SparklyGrandma Tue 12-Dec-17 17:58:38

Well done Rosiebee, having left a very critical, domineering ex husband myself, oh the glorious peace of being alone.

But back to what the OP asked, I have this Christmas alone and have had others, which I have enjoyed.

I have a lovely white light JL modern tree which I will put up, plus cards, flowers of a Christmasy hue and a string of blue twinkly lights arranged along my window.

Like others I am careful not to say I am alone, I don't want to intrude on any friend's Christmas's, by them inviting me rather than leaving me alone.

I have books to read, a boxed set of a favourite drama series. Peace and quiet.

petra Tue 12-Dec-17 16:49:30

Vickya
Did you know that Crisis is so popular now ( for volunteering) that you have to put your name down almost a year in advance. I started my xmas volunteering with them in the 80s.

catta5 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:30:02

i wouldn't bother just get the food and drinks and curl up in front of the tv and relax eat when you like etc and share it with your pets if you have them for people to criticise(family and friends) why don't they invite you after all it is just another day
There are so many who never see a sole have no family or close friends and every day is the same

Beau Tue 12-Dec-17 11:14:12

The one Christmas I spent alone, I just had a tiny tree and the Christmas candle holders dotted around - that was enough for me and I really enjoyed the day doing what I wanted to for every minute.

lemongrove Tue 12-Dec-17 10:43:47

For all those who are new to GN, and are on their own, there is usually a thread on here on Christmas Day for you to join in, to say hello, and what you are doing.tchsmile

meandashy Tue 12-Dec-17 08:57:56

Normally I LOVE Xmas!
This year I have zero interest ?
I'm doing Xmas for my girls next weekend as I'm going home (500 miles) for 2 weeks so I really should make some effort for the wee one st least. But.... I just cannot find the enthusiasm. Maybe once I start....

Otw10413 Tue 12-Dec-17 07:09:10

If I were in my own , I would decorate on Christmas Eve so that my Christmas Day walk would wend me back to my beloved sparkly home. Oh, and I would go overboard!

AlisonKF Mon 11-Dec-17 22:22:04

I shall also be alone this Christmas for the first time as I have given up driving and cannot get any public transport to anywhere including the friend 20 miles away with whom I have celebrated for the last 20 years. Rural life is not helpful to social occasions without a car
I live on a village Street and put lights in the window and a wreath on the door for others to enjoy and will probably drag out the artificial tree on Christmas Day in preparation for relatives coming after Christmas. When I was fitter, I would gladly have spent this chance in helping others. However, I note that charitable dinners and other events in the nearest town do not actually happen on Christmas Day. I don't feel hard done by. Age brings contentment with one's own company and that of the ageing cat.

W11girl Mon 11-Dec-17 21:50:22

I am not a huge fan of Christmas and all its trappings these days, so I put the Christmas tree/decs up for my son, and take them down the day after boxing day when he goes home...I can live without them. I have also been known to do some painting and decorating on Christmas day. If I was on my own I wouldn't bother with any of it. Apart from the religious aspect, its just another day to me.

geeljay Mon 11-Dec-17 20:18:47

Well, I wasnt going to bother. But a few months ago, I joined a 'friendship 'group of about 20 who had also lost their partners, recently. One of them, a lady came round with some cards for my family. I invited her in for a cuppa, on such a cold day. She was appalled that I had no Christmas lights set up, and insisted on me going into the loft to retrieve my bits n pieces.And sorted them out, only leaving when she had installed them all. So yes, it now looks sort of Christmassy around my home. And I find them so cheerful. My late wife/pal would have 'gone to town' by now, so for me reminds me I am not actually alone,. Have a lucky Christmas, everyone.

Marianne1953 Mon 11-Dec-17 20:01:28

No I can’t see the point as Christmas is really about sharing with family. A few years ago my husband was in hospital over Christmas and we knew family wouldn’t be visiting as my Daughter had just had my first grandchild and lived in Scotland and my son was working. I couldn’t be bothered to decorate the house, other than put up cards.
After I had visited my husband on Christmas Day (2hour round trip), I got home and had egg on toast and then enjoyed Christmas tv with me at the Control, it was great, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

dorsetpennt Mon 11-Dec-17 18:36:37

I'm going away and I've been unwell, I still am, so I haven't bothered . I've even found Xmas shopping a chore this year, I usually enjoy it .

M0nica Mon 11-Dec-17 17:55:45

Whether alone or in company, I cannot imagine having Christmas and not putting all the decorations out.

I love having the family round but i sometimes fantasise about a Christmas alone. It would have all the bells and whistles and include chocolates, books to read and DVDs to watch and a long walk all bymyself. There are times when it is really quite tempting!!

harrysgran Mon 11-Dec-17 17:42:33

My answer is yes I live alone and it cheers me up when i come home from work to see the Christmas tree lights on I have them on a timer