Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas stockings

(42 Posts)
Newquay Sat 16-Dec-17 15:49:33

Just thinking. . . . .of doing an old fashioned Christmas stocking for DGC-aged 21, 19, 9 and 7-we'll be seeing at Christmas. Apart from a satsuma, some nuts, some sweeties(we have one of those old fashioned sweetie shops in town), a sugar mouse, crayons and colouring book what else can I put in them?

Newquay Tue 19-Dec-17 09:06:06

I like that Monica. . . only works if you live near enough to each other of course.
Well, flu finally all but gone so. . . . Off to find stockings this morning from B&M/Poundland. Tomorrow going into town so will buy sugar mice, coins etc and other suggestions. Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

M0nica Mon 18-Dec-17 18:03:58

It is not a question of being a skinflint or lady bountiful, It just depends on family traditions. When I grew up and when our children were small, stockings were for children, but my children vetoed them being discontinued and started doing one each for us.

In our household stocking fillers are always trivia and come from places like £land and Charity shops. We keep up the pretence they are from Santa but the contents are provided by every member of the family staying for Christmas.

Currently, in our bedroom, there are a row of carrier bags with labels, which no one looks into but will mysteriously be filled by Christmas Eve. No one is ever seen putting anything in them and equally mysteriously on Christmas morning will be found in Christmas stockings hanging from the mantelpiece in the hall.

pollyperkins Mon 18-Dec-17 14:05:49

I've neverdone it for adults ( surely it's a children's thing) or GC (parents responsibility )
Am I a skinflint?

DeeWBW Mon 18-Dec-17 10:36:28

Don't forget to drop in a few Quality Street!

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-Dec-17 09:11:56

I'm feeling a bit Ebenezerish now. It's never occurred to me to make up stockings for the DGS - I leave that to their parents Father Christmas, hadn't realised it was a "thing".

I do however do one for every extra adult that's at ours on Christmas morning. They get the red apple, orange, nuts, coins, sugar mouse, of course, then this year they've got books, handcream or bodycream, little puzzles, a Yankee candle, marzipan Santas and a chocolate orange. All six are made up already. I fancy adding a homemade flavoured gin or vodka to each, but only if I can find some little bottles with reliable stoppers!

W11girl Mon 18-Dec-17 08:46:01

Going off point for a few minutes...reminds me of my son who always referred to stocking fillers as his "penny" presents, which he loved when he was young.... His "penny presents" as he still calls them, now cost £80!!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 18-Dec-17 06:20:10

I made stockings for all the gc, oh and son and if I home for Christmas I fill them. Gc get the usual sweets and fruit, others items have been small novelity egg cup, glitter for nails, Christmas earrings, things called lush bombs or something that you put in the bath or shower with, the males always get a mag pushed down the side like Private eye. Always found it easier for girls. I am sure they will love the novelity of getting a stockings.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Dec-17 21:54:02

Bubble bath, bodywash, bar of chocolate, face cream. Gloves, hats, flannels..

newnanny Sun 17-Dec-17 21:30:02

The 7 and 9 year olds might like a slinky. If older dgc have cats Starwars air freshener to hang in car. Body wash, new wash bag, a Starwars mug. (my adult ds is Statwars mad).

glynis1234 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:08:24

I always put a carton of juice in my children's stockings!

jamtart27 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:02:12

Small bag of wild bird food , a reason to get out on Xmas day for a walk

Hm999 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:16:51

Google picket money toys
www.hawkin.com/toys/pocket-money-toys

If you can cut card out neatly, google tangrams or pentominoes. Both easy to make, and download and print out shapes to make from all the pieces. It will keep them quiet all Christmas Day afternoon

Lindajane Sun 17-Dec-17 19:13:37

Grandmattie it is definitely ‘poo’ pourri. It’s something you spray before you do a poo so you can’t smell it (really works)! You can find it on amazon.

Cherrytree59 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:54:43

Newquay
I bought a Terry's chocolate orange in a knitted Christmas pudding cover for my DD.
The lady was busy making little covers for the oranges at her stall at a local farm.
She had made quite a selection.
I remember one was a lovely Robin.
If you are a knitter there maybe patterns on the net.

GadaboutGran Sun 17-Dec-17 18:30:51

How big are the stockings?
Ours get filled up very quickly with fruit, nuts, party popper etc., pencils and a few more bits.

Newquay Sun 17-Dec-17 16:58:51

IT gets better and better!

Katekeeprunning Sun 17-Dec-17 15:32:59

Terry's Chocolate Orange

Aepgirl Sun 17-Dec-17 15:20:21

I think this is a lovely idea. If you have a branch of Tiger nearby they have lots of fun items for stockings.

Sheilasue Sun 17-Dec-17 13:43:20

I bought slipper socks from primark for my d and gd.
They do nice bits and pieces for stockings.

linjon Sun 17-Dec-17 13:26:30

I’ve done quite well filling my DGC’s “Boxing Day” Stockings in Home Bargains!! They are only 8 & 6 so enjoy quantity over quality ? notebooks, pencils, puzzles, old fashioned games such as Tiddlywinks and Dominoes, choc coins etc. Great fun searching for bargains ??????

stevej4491 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:07:08

tubs of bubbles ,for the older ones some hangover cure, balloons, chapstick ,bluetack .The list is endless.Good luck

grandMattie Sun 17-Dec-17 12:20:55

Sure it is a "poo" pourri, Linda?

Lindajane Sun 17-Dec-17 12:09:25

A friend of mine has bought poo pourri for children’s stocking!

Diggingdoris Sun 17-Dec-17 11:52:40

Novelty flannel and toothbrush always went in ours, pencil/pen and rubber/ pencil sharpener were always welcome too.

silverlining48 Sun 17-Dec-17 11:11:37

Tiger us a great shop, danish i think, with different and interesting things, very reasonably priced. Wish there was one near me.