Gransnet forums

Christmas

I like Christmas but it doesn't like me

(6 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 27-Dec-17 11:36:26

I love Christmas but try to get most of the shopping etc. done by the end of November because I hate the December 'shop, shop, shop' pressure and the crowds.

lemongrove Wed 27-Dec-17 10:00:46

I do agree about the food, nice to get back to a bit of cheese on toast and the old routines.
Having said that, I do like Christmas.

Teetime Wed 27-Dec-17 09:54:49

I understand sandelf although I was called grumpy for saying I would like to take the decorations down. I was thinking of taking a cottage somewhere next year but I would like the whole family to come as we cant seem to get together at Christmas. Only a few days to go now - I'm having a therapeutic clean up - feels wonderful.

mollie Tue 26-Dec-17 21:28:10

I’ve found living in the sticks is the perfect antidote to the madness of a city Christmas. This is my second country Christmas after 50-odd in the city and the difference is truly surprising. I’ve gone from hating the whole affair to actually rather liking it this time round.

humptydumpty Tue 26-Dec-17 20:24:21

.. and though I love the idea of Christmas food, I must admit it's nice to go back to eating 'the usual'...

sandelf Tue 26-Dec-17 19:55:10

The pressure for wonderfulness gets to me - I break a tooth, get a cold or food poisoning - If it were just the week, but it starts in September and the hype builds and builds. Next year I am going to a cottage or some form of escape. Anyway, to all of us who get the 'pressure' - only a few more days and its all over!!! - Back to sane foods, a tidy house and a normal life - hooray.