Gransnet forums

Christmas

Any ideas on getting cards without Christmas in?

(66 Posts)
Mabel2 Mon 12-Nov-18 11:56:42

We, like many others who are non Christian, struggle to find cards to send that do not have happy Christmas on or in them. I celebrate Yule, but would like to send cards to friends and family. I feel a bit hypocritical sending religious cards. I used to make my own, but am struggling this year and the pagan sites charge so much per card. I just want a box of plain seasons greetings cards, if they support a charity all the better. Can anyone help point me in the right direction.

Iam64 Fri 30-Nov-18 07:34:42

Yes, I know that Billybob, the majority of cards on sale don't though. I realise we live in an increasingly secular society and that's ok with me.

Billybob4491 Fri 30-Nov-18 06:40:09

Iam64, Christian bookshops obviously stock religious cards, as do Tesco, have also seen them in Wilkos.

Iam64 Thu 29-Nov-18 20:29:16

I find locating Christmas cards with a religious theme or images is the real challenge.

callgirl1 Thu 29-Nov-18 17:40:24

I`ve only just found this thread. MawB, please tell me where I can buy that card, I know so many people who would love it, lol!

M0nica Fri 16-Nov-18 08:25:51

Blencathra, if the OP is still following this thread, she will soon be on complaining that you are rude for saying that, that's the response I got.

At the start despite lots of us saying that the kinds of cards she wanted were freely available, even providing links to websites, the lot, she just kept on saying she couldn't find cards without references to Christmas.

I then asked her to be specific about the exact kind of card she was looking for, if the sites and shops we suggested, were no use. Since then we haven't heard from her.

I am beginning to wonder whether Mabel12, when she started this thread was another of those OPs who when they start a thread 'only does it to annoy because they knows it teases'.

Blencathra Fri 16-Nov-18 06:32:38

I can't see the problem. Lots of cards just have Season's Greetings and then I have to write 'for a happy Christmas' underneath.

M0nica Thu 15-Nov-18 08:50:31

I know, like many, it some times takes me several days to become suspicious.

Billybob4491 Thu 15-Nov-18 06:36:45

and people always rise to the bait Monica!

MawBroon Wed 14-Nov-18 20:54:43

There’s a word for that only we are not allowed to use it on GN

M0nica Wed 14-Nov-18 20:28:02

I think the post from onestepbeyond was a have on, hit and run online graffiti. He/she 'only does it to annoy because they know it teases'.

mcem Wed 14-Nov-18 19:45:32

Sorry delibes. Crossed posts.

mcem Wed 14-Nov-18 19:44:24

onestepbeyond So people whose families have lived in this country since time immemorial but who choose not to be Christians should move? To where?
Do you seriously believe that you are showing any shred of Christian tolerance? How do members of your congregation feel about your views?
What a disgusting hypocritical post!
When I was teaching I very often had cards and presents from my Muslim pupils. They enjoyed Christmas (after all Jesus - Issa- is a prophet in Islam).
Equally I received little gifts, usually samosas and sweetmeats as Eid presents.
Drag yourself into the 21st century!

Delibes Wed 14-Nov-18 18:44:46

I'm afraid onestepbeyond betrays his or her lack of knowledge about Islam.

The Quran mentions Jesus many times, explains that Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary and is “high honored in this and the next world”. He is called Jesus son of Mary and referred to as “Spirit from God”, and a prophet messenger of God.

The only difference is that while Muslims accept that Jesus was a servant, teacher, and lover of God’s word they do not believe that he was divine or the son of God in the same way that they not believe that Muhammad was divine or the son of God. Both were men in the line of prophets which began with Adam.

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 17:49:28

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ (Matthew 25:25-36)

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 17:47:05

er I think you means persons/people/ and those identifying as suchwink

Billybob4491 Wed 14-Nov-18 17:19:49

Or even goodwill to all men!

Greta Wed 14-Nov-18 17:17:03

Onestepbeyond: We are living in a Christian Country - Don't like it? Move!

Are you preparing a new chapter in the Book of Exodus?
Seriously, as a Christian, what are your thoughts on "Love thy neighbour"?

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 16:57:02

possibly the key word is " destroy"

Greta Wed 14-Nov-18 16:37:45

I always buy plain cards with no text. If you look at www.theblankcardcompany.co.uk you will find lots of attractive cards.

GillT57 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:21:51

What about a nice artistic postcard from an art gallery? No writing inside it and you can write as much as you like. Or, as you don't believe in the Christian Christmas, why bother sending anything? Or, even better, send a donation to a charity instead, I fail to see why you have to advertise your non-belief to people who may be non-believers anyway

Anniebach Wed 14-Nov-18 09:05:26

‘ i would destroy a Muslim festive card’

‘I don’t want to send a Christmas card at Christmas with happy Christmas on it ‘

?

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 08:58:38

*I am a Christian

If I ever receive a muslim festive card I would destroy it*

How do these 2 statements work together please?

mumofmadboys Wed 14-Nov-18 08:00:23

Onestepbeyond why would you destroy a muslim festival card if someone was kind enough to send you one??

justwokeup Wed 14-Nov-18 00:38:12

I also buy cards with 'Seasons Greetings' for the friends who have alternative viewpoints. I think it's a brilliant all round phrase in that case. Local cards, depending on where you live, are a good idea as they often have lovely views and are blank inside.

lemongrove Tue 13-Nov-18 22:50:09

My best friend is a Hindu, she loves getting a Christmas card, I used to have a Jewish friend who thanked me for not sending her a card.I try and make cards fit the person and their beliefs/non beliefs.
Non Christians in the UK enjoy Christmas just as much.