Gransnet forums

Christmas

Advent Calendars for grown ups - any thoughts?

(100 Posts)
crystaltipps Sat 01-Dec-18 08:00:04

I thought these were a bit naff but was bought one with 24 different tea bags last year and loved it. Haven’t got one this year unless one turns up today☹️ I know this has been discussed before but has anyone got an unusual good one? Or are they just another marketing ploy?

PamelaJ1 Sat 08-Dec-18 19:12:47

I think I must be a grinch.
I know I’m worth it but I cannot see that I need one of these.
A whole load of stuff I don’t want for an exorbitant price.
What’s to like?

Jalima1108 Sat 08-Dec-18 18:47:20

crystaltipps I saw this today and thought of this thread:

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Dec-18 14:55:09

I was pleased to get today’s as another version of it was in last year’s calendar and it worked really well on my fine hair. In fact, I was going to buy more till I saw the price. smile I’d advise anyone who’s unsure just to give it a try.

Willynilly Thu 06-Dec-18 10:48:56

I'll definitely use today's Katey but yesterday's will go to my daughter. I do love these little treats.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-Dec-18 10:37:29

Well my Daughter has claimed yesterday's gift ? Today's I think we may share whilst having a "crafty" glass of fizz and watching a classic Christmas Film ??

Kateykrunch Thu 06-Dec-18 10:34:18

I am loving the M & S Advent Calendar, like some others I am unsure about day 5, not really sure it is ‘me’, but I can re-gift it. As for todays, never used any before and not sure I have the patience to sit with wet hair, I hope someone feeds back a review of it, would be interested to know what it does. (Notice no spoiler, just in case you havn’t opened yours yet). I am loving these treats each day, ?

Maggiemaybe Thu 06-Dec-18 00:34:04

It was the perfume and I love it. I wore it this evening and got a couple of compliments on it. smile

DanniRae Wed 05-Dec-18 17:28:36

If today's was the perfume then my daughter says I can have it as she's not keen.
Suits me! tchsmile

annsixty Wed 05-Dec-18 11:49:32

I am going out for lunch today and will be wearing today's gift.
Also yesterday's if that was the mascara.
Very happy ?

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Dec-18 11:34:15

I love "Day 5" as well. Last year's by the same company was my favourite "gift", so I was hoping they'd be in there again. I'm being careful not to give away spoilers here for anyone who won't open theirs till later. smile

Willynilly Wed 05-Dec-18 11:15:50

You can have my day 5 GrannyGravy, it's a bit heavy for me. Otherwise thrilled with my M&S daily treats. First time I've ever had an adult advent calendar but it won't be my last. As for those who decry them...fair enough but I've gone without for so much of my life, it's nice to do something frivolous, just for me. smile

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Dec-18 09:49:14

Pleased with "day 5" M & S treat ?????

Maggiemaybe Wed 05-Dec-18 09:43:27

I’ve got the M & S calendar (lovely treats and great value), and a Milky Bar Wowsers one, which has the bonus of little riddles on each door that will be perfect for a game for the DGS over Christmas. smile

I love an Advent calendar. This year I’ve bought chocolate ones for my grownup offspring and Lego ones for the boys. The 5 year olds can put the models together in a couple of minutes, but DH and I were allowed to try yesterday’s and had six pieces left over. blush

chocolatepudding Wed 05-Dec-18 09:21:16

DD works for a London Borough as a Planning Officer. I bought her a "Snowy Village" advent calendar which consisted of a base and background cards of trees and hills. Everyday there was a small envelope to open which contained a building - a shop, pub, school, houses etc. DD mentioned this at work and took the calendar into the office. The planning officers took it in turns to open the daily envelope and place the building in the village. Comments were then noted as to the parking availability, the number of bedrooms in each property, the public open green spaces etc.........the following year they did it all again!

HildaW Tue 04-Dec-18 21:54:04

For Adults maybe....its the ones for Pets I struggle with. Yes its lovely to treat our animals....but do they understand the concept of Advent!

kezia Tue 04-Dec-18 21:36:54

Last year I got the OH the pork scratchings A.C.- which was a big hit. This year I made a bag from a snowman tea towel and filled it with 24 bags of pork scratchings as a lucky dip - even bigger hitsmile
The dgc (aged 3 and 6) have the Jacquie Lawson calendar bought by me, I have one too so we can talk about what the activity or picture is that day. I did it last year and they remembered. Not a chocolate in sight and so much fun

Greengage Mon 03-Dec-18 19:12:35

Telly I also have a musical calendar made in Germany. Different tunes from yours, but also some I don't recognise! -

Telly Mon 03-Dec-18 14:55:42

I have a musical calendar this year! However it is made in Germany and I have not recognised the first couple of
tunes - Snow Falls Silents at Night and a Ship is Coming Laden. However I'm ok today as it is Jingle Bells!

Kateykrunch Mon 03-Dec-18 11:27:04

Annsixty, its a lovely treat for day 3 isn’t it and I must admit I had been looking for some in the shops, but I can’t say the word décolletage lol.

annsixty Mon 03-Dec-18 10:25:03

My "chest area " is very happy with this mornings treat thankyou KateyK I still have one and a third boob , will it make a difference, do you think?
And we definitely deserve it .

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-Dec-18 09:53:50

Definitely deserved it KateyK ?

Oldbatty have just trained Mr.GG that black plastic is not recycled nor paper with glitter of any description, he is actually very good at washing yoghurt pots, tins etc.

Kateykrunch Mon 03-Dec-18 09:41:30

I wonder how many years Ann has knocked off with treat 3!

Kateykrunch Mon 03-Dec-18 09:40:10

I loved this mornings M&S treat. I bought it for myself with the order for blinking mastectomy bras!, I thought I deserved it!

oldbatty Mon 03-Dec-18 09:29:11

Great stuff GG. We try to and get it right about 80% of the time.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 03-Dec-18 09:13:30

Very happy with No.3 - thank you M & S.

Oldbatty we recycle everything that we can all year long. Which is how it should be.