Gransnet forums

Christmas

Anyone else excited?

(188 Posts)
Tooglamtogiveadamn Wed 19-Dec-18 14:33:42

It’s almost Christmas! I absolutely love Christmas. I love the food, the presents, the music, the lights, the time spent with family... I am, to quote a teenaged relative, “buzzing”, I think that means very excited. Six days and countingtchsmile

Nannyxthree Tue 24-Sep-19 13:32:48

September is too early, but towards the end of next month (when the days are very short and dark), the bright lights of decorations keep SAD symptoms at bay.

knickas63 Tue 24-Sep-19 13:09:19

I love everything about it. Already have some presents stashed away. Planning my cakes (I make 5 or 6). Decs will go up 1st December. Can't wait!

Newquay Tue 24-Sep-19 13:06:45

I love Christmas-well the celebration of Jesus’ birth that is-but the commercial nonsense is crazy. Martin Lewis did a wonderful Christmas prog last year-it was very moving. About folks not getting into debt and being pressured. As a family we decided to no longer buy gifts for adults but spent time and (simple delish) meals with each other-try it, fabulous!

fizzers Tue 24-Sep-19 12:45:17

Not really, no, my mother passed away on Christmas Eve 2018

Mapleleaf Tue 24-Sep-19 12:11:37

A cafe local to me has its windows all trimmed up! Ridiculous - far too early, and I love the season - but prefer to see these things in December, not September.

grannylyn65 Sun 22-Sep-19 15:13:23

Indeed

Witzend Sun 22-Sep-19 14:50:02

I don't understand why people who really don't like Christmas, or else don't want to hear anything about it too early, click on these threads at all.

The topic is called Christmas - surely clear enough to avoid if it's only going to irritate or upset you?

Grannybags Sat 21-Sep-19 21:04:15

Yes it is. Started on 19th December last year......Bah Humbug!!

Harris27 Sat 21-Sep-19 20:32:09

This must be an old thread?

Calendargirl Sat 21-Sep-19 20:27:06

Floradora9

Agree.

I don’t hate Christmas, but I do hate all the fuss and palaver for months beforehand. I so agree about sad memories of folk no longer here.

phoenix Sat 21-Sep-19 18:48:01

I will admit to not having read every post, but I seem to remember the OP boasting posting last year about the wonderful gifts she recieved?

Marmight Sat 21-Sep-19 18:42:52

For those getting over excited about C*******s The Range, Home Bargains and Dobbies all have their C stock in and this 6 weeks before Halloween! Stop the World, I want to get off ?

Daddima Sat 21-Sep-19 17:09:21

We usually escape to the sun at C’mas, but the Bodach has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, so, all being well ( kind of), I’m looking at Paris on Eurostar, anything to escape the overkill here!

Regards,
Mrs Scrooge.

Gonegirl Sat 21-Sep-19 16:36:57

Excited? confused With all that sodding Xmas pudding/Xmas cake/chutney making to be got through? Not really.

Agree with annodomini. Ridiculous to dredge this thread up at this time of the year. hmm

BlueBelle Sat 21-Sep-19 13:57:46

Trouble is it loses ALL its magic all its mental glitter and sparkle when people start whittering on about it in August and September and October etc etc all the magic is eaten up by the time it is nearly here
Please let’s stop and talk about this lovely late summery weather or even Autumn

annodomini Sat 21-Sep-19 13:25:16

I seem to have lost the ? key on my keyboard. grin

annodomini Sat 21-Sep-19 13:24:38

Why dig up an old thread which started just a week before Christmas last year. The title of the thread is completely inappropriate for September. Why not put it to bed and someone can start a new one when they can really begin to get excited. Not that I will.

Floradora9 Sat 21-Sep-19 12:50:45

Nooooo I hate Christmas and I wish people would not go on about it , that makes it worse . Christmas brings back so many memories and feelings of guilt about people you might have included in the past and also the people you shared it with who are no longer here . It really makes me so depressed .

Alexa Fri 20-Sep-19 14:35:00

Good that you like it, Glam. I can understand how you do si as I still feel the remembered magic of childhood at Xmas.

Witzend Fri 20-Sep-19 11:49:39

Must confess that I'm looking forward to seeing Christmassy things in the shops, even if I don't buy much at all. I do love Christmas and the run up to it - and the whole season up to 12th night - I hate taking the decorations down - January is so dreary anyway.

BTW I do wonder why people who don't like any mention of the C-word in September, or even October, click on this thread at all! Maybe they just enjoy a good old gripe....

Willow500 Tue 17-Sep-19 11:28:09

Well yes we are looking forward to C*******s as our son and family are coming over from NZ - not seen them for 2 years so I think we're entitled to be getting a bit excited grin

ginny Tue 17-Sep-19 06:54:59

Chewbacca, yes I realised that after I pressed post.
Just shows what thinking too far ahead does to you. ??

Amagran Tue 17-Sep-19 00:01:04

I enjoy Cxxxxxxxx ……... in December. Not before. And definitely not in September.

Two or three days after last Christmas, I went into our local M&S food store and they were filling the shelves with Easter eggs. Yes - really!! I tracked down the manager and asked him if it was some sort of joke. He grinned and shook his head sheepishly.

Wobbles Mon 16-Sep-19 23:34:31

Bah humbug

Chewbacca Mon 16-Sep-19 23:24:20

No ginny. It's not October. It's mid September!