Gransnet forums

Christmas

christmas spirit

(12 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 20-Dec-18 14:26:59

Dragonfly, it is important you keep your stress levels down, see your Mum Saturday and then go to your sons?

I will hold you in my thoughts and prayers x

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 14:26:39

There is no need for everyone to make themselves ‘jolly’ because it’s almost Christmas.A quiet reflective peaceful Christmas would suit many.

lemongrove Thu 20-Dec-18 14:25:00

flowers dragonfly see your DGC who do know who you are.Visit your Mother earlier or later, the home she is in will try and give her the right care on Christmas Day.

MawBroon Thu 20-Dec-18 14:20:17

{Hugs} * Dragonfly and my sincerest wishes for a more hopeful 2019xxx

yggdrasil Thu 20-Dec-18 14:11:08

sorry to hear that dragonfly. Go see your grandchildren over Christmas, and your Mum later, becasue she won't remember what day it is anyway

sodapop Thu 20-Dec-18 11:34:45

I'm sorry too dragonfly46 a lot for you to contend with. Can you not just visit your Mum prior to Christmas Day then spend the day with your grandchildren. Don't try to do everything, you need to care for yourself too. thanks

Maggiemaybe Thu 20-Dec-18 11:21:39

So sorry, dragonfly46. flowers

dragonfly46 Thu 20-Dec-18 11:10:40

I definitely have no Christmas spirit.
Got biopsy today on breast although already diagnosed with breast cancer and my 98 year old mum is very poorly in hospital.
She lives in a care home and has dementia so have to decide on Sunday whether to go to my son's and see my DGC for a few days or stay up here and visit mum who doesnt even know who I am.

Poppyred Thu 20-Dec-18 11:04:46

I feel exactly the same Newnanny. Go through the motions and put a smile on my face but inside I feel nothing anymore. Is it an age thing I wonder?

newnanny Thu 20-Dec-18 10:18:49

I never get the full enthusiasm I see others seem to have. I do all of the things I am supposed to do write out cards, buy gifts, choose and decorate tree, but really there is so much to do it often feels like a chore. I enjoy it when my dd brings dgc to me and we do an early Xmas as I get to play with dgc and that is fun and then watch them opening their stockings. I enjoy my dc with me on Xmas day but the hours of cooking and organising the decorations not so much. I think as you get older some of the magic goes when the reality of so much to do sets in. I know I used to love Xmas as a small child and also when my dc were small. I used to love going to choose the Xmas tree now I really wish dh would just do it alone but go because he still enjoys doing it together. I don't know how to get Xmas magic back. I really wish I could go to Australia one year to see the Boxing Day Ashes cricket match but when I mentioned it one year the children looked horrified as they expect to be home for Xmas with me cooking Xmas dinner. One year I shall shock them and do it.

Ilovecheese Thu 20-Dec-18 10:10:09

Would listening to some Christmas Carol's help perhaps.

camberwelle Thu 20-Dec-18 10:05:49

is anybody having the same gloomy time as me? cant get the christmas spirit, i have the lights,presents,food,family, music but no atmos, anybody got any ideas??