Gransnet forums

Christmas

Money

(16 Posts)
Chrispy Thu 20-Dec-18 19:32:22

My husband had tax rebate. He wants to give our daughter £500, 11 year old grandson £100 and 18 month grandson £25 as he says he’s too young to have as much as the elder one. What do you think I feel they should have the same. He says younger one is too young to have more

dbDB77 Thu 20-Dec-18 19:35:52

I agree with you Chrispy - treat them equally.

PamelaJ1 Thu 20-Dec-18 19:36:31

Equality all the way if possible.

Chrispy Thu 20-Dec-18 19:49:59

That’s what I think but he’s adamant. He’s very stubborn and it turned into an argument when I said something. Think there will be trouble on the day. May have to take a bit extra and give it to my daughter on the side but not sure what to say to her, I dont want to spoil Christmas x

Witzend Thu 20-Dec-18 20:11:25

I'd give them the same. Younger one's share could go in a savings account. Personally I'd encourage the elder to save at least half, too

Chrispy Thu 20-Dec-18 20:26:40

I’ll have to say I’ve put the rest in his account, I have one for each of them. He’s adamant he’s not changing as he says younger one won’t appreciate it!! I’ve tried reasoning but no luck.

merlotgran Thu 20-Dec-18 20:36:01

It's his money so let him do what he likes with it. You're not talking about a fortune, just a nice present.

merlotgran Thu 20-Dec-18 20:38:47

The only one who can possibly spoil Christmas is you - by making a mountain out of a molehill. If your daughter thinks her youngest is being short changed she can give him some of her £500.

Bet she doesn't!

nanasam Thu 20-Dec-18 22:01:27

Wish I had £625 to give to my family

Melanieeastanglia Thu 20-Dec-18 22:05:15

Things might be easier if an equal amount was given to each grandchild. If they save half of it, their ages make no difference. If their mother helps choose what to buy with the other half, something sensible can be bought for both children. I realise that the 18 month year old grandson isn't yet in a position to easily make choices in shops.

janeainsworth Thu 20-Dec-18 22:08:35

I think the best thing would be to give the whole lot to your DD.
£100 is far too much for an 11 year old to spend as they wish.
We only give small presents at Christmas, plus a sum of money to DCs. I suggest how they apportion it with equal amounts for each DGC, but I never ask what they’ve done with it and it’s up to them whether they spend it on something now or save for their future.
I agree with merlot though, don’t let it spoil your Christmas.

MissAdventure Thu 20-Dec-18 22:24:09

Well, I can see his point..

Gonegirl Thu 20-Dec-18 22:32:23

I can't see how it could spoil Christmas Day. An eighteen month old is hardly going to pipe up, "he's got more than me. Not fair!" It's not fair, but let it go.

mumofmadboys Thu 20-Dec-18 22:53:36

Your younger GC will never know about different amounts. Let it go and enjoy Christmas.

Chrispy Thu 20-Dec-18 23:19:51

We don’t normally, it’s just he got a tax rebate xx

Chrispy Thu 20-Dec-18 23:22:19

I’ll let it go and see how things go over Christmas.

Thank you for all your comments, and I hope you all have a lovely Christmas xx