Gransnet forums

Christmas

My best present to myself

(95 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 21-Dec-18 10:16:48

OK perhaps I need to get out more, but the “present to myself” which has given me most pleasure was to have my range cooker restored to looking like new last weekend after 3 hours’ attention from Ovenu (other firms are available)
£135 for the 4 ovens, all the shelves and linings, fan, glass doors, new lights, seven burners - money well spent!
(I do have a sneaky delivery from the Sahara sale due today mind you)

Itsmyfirstrodeo Thu 27-Dec-18 06:52:25

It's been lovely reading through all these comments. I hope you all had a great Christmas and I have some brilliant ideas for presents to me in the future (ovenu is what I'm thinking, I despair over my inherited cooker)

Barmeyoldbat Mon 24-Dec-18 16:21:07

Only one bathroom here and thats upstairs, we have looked at having another installed downstairs but it doesn't seem possible. At least I keep fit running up and downstairs all day and if we are really pushed Waitrose is very nearby and within walking distance so in an emergency they can use that one.!

Grammaretto Mon 24-Dec-18 12:22:51

Long after the DC had grown up and left home, I stayed in a hotel (a rare treat) where the room promised an en suite. It was tiny in a cupboard but it gave me an idea. I asked my local plumber if he could put a shower room in my cupboard. He did and a loo and basin so I now have a shower every day.
The house that once had one loo and bath for 6 of us, now has 2 for 2. Very posh.

Anniebach Mon 24-Dec-18 11:33:23

mcem. Not brought in wild extravagance , was brought up to love animals so looking for a house in an isolated area they found an old farmhouse, needed the room with 4 dogs and 4 cats , not that the animals needed a bsthroom ?

GrannyGravy. I too have bathroom envy, bungalow so small I have to store things in the little bathroom, even Fred is parked with his front head sticking into the bathroom. I hope you get your bathroom with candles x

mcem Mon 24-Dec-18 11:22:43

GrannyG - well you'll be pleased to know that as far as I am concerned you have justified your 3 bathrooms! Can't speak for everyone, I'm afraid!

annie I don't think you can apologise on your daughter's behalf. However if I didn't know better I (or someone!) might think you'd brought her up in wild extravagance!!

We can only be bullied if we allow ourselves to be bullied! Hope Santa Claus picks up on maw's suggestion.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 24-Dec-18 11:19:28

Best thing ever Grannybags it means we can now eat chocolate brazil nuts and the ike.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Dec-18 11:15:29

Anniebach - I have bathroom envy, if and when we ever get our house to ourselves I intend to claim a bathroom for my use only!! It will be filled with candles and beautiful smellies.

Anniebach Mon 24-Dec-18 11:10:23

Should I apologise because my younger daughter has five bathrooms ?. Just for two

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Dec-18 11:02:07

I think we all deserve to treat ourselves to whatever makes us feel better/happier/more comfortable etc.

I apologise for having 3 bathrooms - explanation- Mr GG13 and I have an ensuite, D and GS live with us at the moment, she has her own and we have a downstairs cloakroom/shower due to the fact at one point we had 4 football/rugby/skateboarding boys, D had 2 horses and it saved the detritus being carried upstairs. We are now down to 1 horse and loan ponies for GC.

Hopefully that is ok Gabriella.

Wishing you all a joyous and peaceful Christmas ????

Anniebach Mon 24-Dec-18 10:54:26

I would like to buy me a present , can’t think what I would like.

tiredoldwoman Mon 24-Dec-18 10:17:02

My present to me ( I've never bought myself a present before )has just arrived - 2 pairs of Hotter boots ( the sale is on ! )
Feels naughty !

LuckyFour Mon 24-Dec-18 10:00:40

You're living the dream Maw Broom!

Grannybags Mon 24-Dec-18 09:57:49

Barmeyoldbat Another one here who had new teeth for Christmas!

Mine were done for purely cosmetic/pride reasons. The older I got the more crooked they became until I was so self conscious of them I didn't like to smile in front of anyone. Six new front teeth later and I grin all the time! Took a lot of visits to match the colour of my existing teeth and added natural touches so they look very natural.

I was dreading having the fake tan/brilliant white teeth look but so pleased I went ahead and had them done

MawBroon Mon 24-Dec-18 09:13:18

Barmeyoldbat
It says much more about the tactless and patronising nature of the person who upset you.
There is a name for the sort of person who can’t open their mouth without “putting their foot in it” - odontopedology tchgrintchgrin

Barmeyoldbat Mon 24-Dec-18 09:04:59

Should read bed and excuse, not had my coffee yet!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 24-Dec-18 08:57:03

I went to be last night feeling upset and rather tearful but this morning, well thats a different matter. Thank you for your support Mawbroon, mcim and one other it is greatly appreciated. As for GG, well I have nothing but contempt for her half hearted apology and excus for which neither accepted. She, seems to have been doing it most of her life and is to brainless to learn that its insulting and hurtful.

MawBroon Mon 24-Dec-18 08:21:59

What mcem said.
If it wasn’t directed at Barmeyoldbat GG you chose a funny time to mention it. Just as when JaneAinsworth I think on another thread said she loved her Bombshell dress,you dismissed them as “matronly”.
Do (or indeed don’t) you see how put downs like these are tactless, insulting and possibly hurtful?
Perhaps Santa will bring you tact in your stocking this year. tchhmm

mcem Mon 24-Dec-18 07:49:29

GG possibly it was the rather crass remark about the teeth, on top of the snippy question about 3 bathrooms, compounded by a criticism of grammar that prompted a suggestion that you might just rein in the narky comments (even just for a couple of days).
That would be a charming little gift appreciated by many a gran!

Lilyflower Mon 24-Dec-18 06:52:10

When our children were small we had very high expenses and the DH and I gave up buying Christmas presents for each other. Instead we went to the sales and bought things we really needed at a knock down price. Another part of the deal was that I got the Tesco’s vouchers to spend at Christmas. At first, you could get something nice at Goldsmith’s, the jewellers, but inflation ate up the benefits and now Goldsmith’s only let you buy really expensive jewellery with vouchers. This year I used them instead to buy a beautiful Mont Blanc fountain pen which is a total luxury. No way would I ordinarily spend hundreds of pounds on a pen but spending ‘pretend money’ is a very enjoyable selfish splurge. It has neither hurt nor deprived anyone and brought me much pleasure.

GabriellaG54 Sun 23-Dec-18 23:48:51

Wow!! Keep your hair on MawBroon
I wasn't referring to Barmyoldbat directly, the thought just came to me of those make-over programmes where people have a mouthful of teeth fitted in a day and from there my thoughts flitted to the number of presenters/celebs etc who have dental work done, especially whitening (which Barmyoldbat did not mention)
I referred to the whitening of teeth as a 'halogen headlight grin' as halogen headlights blind you. Megawatt smile.
Some tv and film people pay great attention to their faces and teeth but the rest has been left to old father time is given little thought.
If I offended anyone, it was certainly not my intention.

Ameliarose Sun 23-Dec-18 22:59:00

I always buy myself a Christmas present, thinking at leaast I'll get one thing I like .Now Mr P is no longer with us .I buy a present for me from him

Grammaretto Sun 23-Dec-18 22:55:05

etheltbags1 what a good idea!
Between Christmas and New year there's often more time to read and relax.

Ameliarose Sun 23-Dec-18 22:38:25

Why didn't she use her own oven
Pork makes quite a mess ?

etheltbags1 Sun 23-Dec-18 22:34:50

I rooted around the charity shop and got me a pile of books for 3 quid in case santa forgets.☺

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Dec-18 22:31:45

I once complimented a young woman on her gorgeous thick hair and she was so pleased. It was a hair system, as she suffered from alopecia and was virtually bald. It made my day to have made hers!