Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas....changes ?

(19 Posts)
Northernlass Mon 31-Dec-18 12:11:03

Anyone else think they may like to do exactly what they want to do next year - even if it means ducking out of having family to stay; being 'home alone' with OH?

Teetime Mon 31-Dec-18 13:57:22

We shall be home alone but recovering from a pretty hefty golf schedule next year when I am Lady Captain. Repelling all boarders for that one.

FlexibleFriend Mon 31-Dec-18 16:32:54

I've always done exactly as I please at Christmas.

M0nica Mon 31-Dec-18 16:35:09

No.

EllanVannin Mon 31-Dec-18 17:15:05

I'm thinking of giving it a miss altogether, what with 'flu all last Christmas and after Boxing day this year feeling grotty with a sore throat and head cold it would seem the only time of the year I get ill so won't be relishing 2019 very much.

Latterly I've done as I've pleased too, just as well I suppose.

janeainsworth Mon 31-Dec-18 20:11:59

No. We had both DDs, SiLs and GCs here and it was perfect.

Daddima Mon 31-Dec-18 20:36:35

I think I might have asked last year who was doing EXACTLY as they wanted at Christmas. The Bodach and I have headed for the sun in the Canaries for the last few years. It’s much more low-key ( 3 kings day on 6th January is their big day, though many places have special Christmas Eve things going on), and we love being away from it all. We didn’t even put up a tree! Cash to grandchildren, no gifts to or from adults, one gift to buy for a friend, and no cards sent. I loved the ‘ full on’ Christmas when the children were small, but I’ve no notion for it any more ( though I do enjoy the school Christmas show I’m invited to every year.)Our family also ‘do their own thing’. This year they all went to a log cabin.
So, all being well, no change for us next year.

Regards,
Mrs Scrooge.

Beau Mon 31-Dec-18 21:10:20

Daddies, that sounds perfect to me - well done ?

Beau Mon 31-Dec-18 21:10:51

*Daddima

elmaasheley147 Wed 16-Jan-19 10:28:56

I have done what I want in Christmas. .

boodymum67 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:59:04

I love to see family...but they go away or wherever.....we are empty esters and I don't like it.

TwiceAsNice Sat 09-Nov-19 15:32:04

Spend every Christmas with two daughters SIL and grandchildren (2) and LOVE it! Wouldn’t have it any other way I know ( and feel) I am lucky and hope it continues for years ( or at least until the grandchildren want to do their own thing)

EllanVannin Sat 09-Nov-19 15:47:45

I've got too many worries going on to bother. My family here and also the added worry of my family in NSW who are too close for comfort near the bush fires and it's only just started as their summer doesn't begin until the 1st of December so these fires have started right out of the blue.

When my family were here in June my D was worried then by the parched land and no rainfall for months and now I dread the phone going-----if the lines don't go down. I keep looking online to see if the fires have spread.
What with one thing and another life ain't too good at the minute so Christmas can come and go for all I care.

Daddima Sat 09-Nov-19 15:57:02

Sadly, the Bodach’s Alzheimer’s will be keeping us at home this year. I’d thought about Eurostar to Paris, but he can get really confused, and sometimes aggressive, so it’s not worth the risk. We’ll just play it by ear, and just do what we feel like.

annsixty Sat 09-Nov-19 16:46:01

First year without my H.
He had just gone into a care home last Christmas but I spent most of it with him and my D was staying with me as the GC were spending Christmas with their F.
I just want it to go away this year, I could go to my D but it is two train journeys and across London in between, it is too much for me and I feel I could spoil their Christmas as I will be very sad.
Just looking forward to January the 2nd.

Teetime Sat 09-Nov-19 16:59:05

We are indeed Home Alone as I said we would be and heaving a sigh of relief as a busy year of golf comes to an end. I'm planning a big spread and nice pressies.

MamaCaz Sat 09-Nov-19 17:04:52

If DH and I had the choice, I think we would go off and do our own thing over Christmas. Our sons and families would accept it. However my elderly mother is a different matter. My Dad died two years ago, and there is no way my conscience would permit me to deliberately do something that would lead to her spending Christmas and the new year alone (she would be extremely upset), however much I long to 'escape' for at least some of that period.

Witzend Sat 09-Nov-19 18:46:13

Ellanvannin, what a worry for you, those dreadful fires.
Do hope your family are all safe.x

notanan2 Sat 09-Nov-19 18:48:28

I always do!

And would hate to think anyone who accepted my invitations has been doing so grudgingly!