Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas markets in the North of England

(20 Posts)
boodymum67 Sat 09-Nov-19 13:40:07

The Piece Hall Halifax...set in a glorious courtyard...built in 1776...beautiful. Look up What`s On at The Piece hall.

whywhywhy Mon 21-Oct-19 12:57:27

I used to live in County Durham and Durham city is well worth a visit just for the scenery alone. They do have a christmas market which we shall be travelling north to visit (from the Midlands)
durhamchristmasfestival.com/?LMCL=sBoUZC

Enjoy!

EllaKeat Mon 21-Oct-19 12:49:06

I live in Durham and have been to the Durham Christmas Market a couple of times.
It is beautifully picturesque, but the main part is contained in a huge marquee which gets very, very crowded.
The last year I went i actually saw very little because it was impossible to get to the stalls.
The very best bit is the food market in the cloisters at the Cathedral, wonderful.
However, with a heavy heart, I could not recommend Durham.

MiniMoon Mon 21-Oct-19 12:21:00

In the Lake District the Windermere Christmas Market is on the weekend of 14/15th December.
If it's cold but sunny it will be lovely.

newnanny Mon 21-Oct-19 10:37:47

I have been to Betty's Tea Shop and can highly recommend.

TiggyW Mon 21-Oct-19 10:29:12

Sorry I haven’t replied earlier. confused Thanks for all your useful suggestions! Just checking dates now and looking forward to a festive break. smile

Maggiemaybe Thu 17-Oct-19 19:53:33

If you’re looking at North Yorkshire, Grassington has a Dickensian Christmas event including a market that runs over two weekends.

SirChenjin Thu 17-Oct-19 19:48:17

How about coming really north and going to the Edinburgh Christmas market? It’s a beautiful setting in Princes St Gardens with the castle and other buildings all lit up - absolutely stunning

Maggiemaybe Thu 17-Oct-19 19:44:41

I’d second the Chatsworth suggestion. Apart from the fact that the Christmas decorations in the house are always stunning, with a different theme every year, the market has lots of stalls selling high quality and unusual goods at decent prices. I had the best pie I’d ever tasted there last year. smile It’s not on for long though, so check the dates.

Annapops Thu 17-Oct-19 19:13:21

The Durham market is on Palace Green and is quite a good one in a very picturesque setting. The only objection I have is that you are charged to enter which is such a shame. I'm not sure of the exact cost but could be as much as £3.00 per person, if not more. It means a lot of local people do not support it as it seems so unfair.
There are also some stalls on the Milburngate Bridge and the regular market in the city itself, but the advertised Christmas Market outside the Cathedral is not worth it for anyone just wishing to soak up an atmosphere and browse.
My daughter feels the markets in Newcastle and Edinburgh are particularly good.
I live in Durham.

Septimia Thu 17-Oct-19 15:58:50

To be honest, I haven't been! I've been to the one at Newcastle (only because I had to pass it going to the station), which is OK, but tends to be dominated by takeaway food stalls.

Friends have been to Durham and go back each year. Of course, there's the cathedral and all the historic bits to see as well.

TiggyW Thu 17-Oct-19 13:30:54

Thanks Septimia. smile Is there a good Christmas market at Durham?

Septimia Thu 17-Oct-19 13:26:40

How about getting somewhere near the REAL north and going to Durham? It's historic and picturesque.

Newcastle has one as well, but is maybe not quite so attractive, although the area around Gray's Monument has some good architecture.

Or you could even go to Berwick on Tweed. I think it has a Christmas market.

All three are conveniently on the East Coast Main Line.

TiggyW Thu 17-Oct-19 12:47:32

Thanks all - I might try Chatsworth or Harrogate. We’ve been to Harrogate before but not at Christmas - it has some good shops.
We visited Castle Howard at Christmas a couple of years ago. The house was beautifully decorated. There were a few stalls and a café in a marquee outside.
Does anyone know of any other good markets in North Yorkshire, or the North East perhaps? We would like to spend a couple of days and have a good look around as well as visiting the market.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:31:41

Ooh, I fancy going to Harrogate. Looks a nice town and Betty's Tea Shop!

H1954 Thu 17-Oct-19 12:08:37

I heard today that there is one at Harrogate but I'm not sure when.

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:07:46

too

Gonegirl Thu 17-Oct-19 12:07:20

The Manchester one was lovely. Don't know about historical though. DD and I stayed in that really posh hotel the footballers stay in. Shared a lift with Wayne Rooney. To scared to open our mouths and say hello though. hmm

EllanVannin Thu 17-Oct-19 12:06:16

There's the Chatsworth one ?

TiggyW Thu 17-Oct-19 12:02:30

I’ve just been reading a thread from last year about the pros and cons of Christmas markets. Can anyone recommend any markets in the North of England which have historical settings please? (Not Lincoln or York - we’ve been there smile.) Thanks. ?