Gransnet forums

Christmas

M & S Christmas advert

(16 Posts)
specki4eyes Sat 16-Nov-19 11:55:10

Must get this off my chest! Is there anything more sickening in the current run of Christmas adverts than the M & S one? Thousands having to use food banks, even more homeless people on the streets or living in temporary accommodation, hundreds flooded out of their homes and they have to see these shallow fools emoting over very expensive ready made Christmas "treats". Adverts aimed at numpties who can't be bothered to cook a celebration meal for themselves but who are rich enough to fill their trollies with these ridiculous products.
It's nauseating. Shame on you M&S I'd rather starve than buy your gold plated gewgaws.

Marilla Sat 16-Nov-19 12:12:33

A little harsh specki4eyes. All the supermarkets will be advertising their top of the range foods as well as the more modest offerings. The adverts are made months in advance of Christmas. I just wonder why M&S are your only target.

I agree with you regarding the homeless, flood victims and families using food banks is a national disgrace. But if we were able to scrutinise the reasons for those in a hellish situation, we should look to government policies and agencies who have failed in their duties to those in dire circumstances.

Sara65 Sat 16-Nov-19 13:08:36

Unreasonable.

Of course I agree that many people can’t afford luxuries at Christmas.

There are a lot of things that other people have, which I can’t afford, good luck to them, I’m neither jealous or envious.

For a lot of families, it’s not a matter of not being bothered, it’s a matter of time and priorities, and even if you can’t be bothered, so what?

I shall be filling my trolley in M&S, but I will also be very aware of people who can’t.

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 13:17:00

I just filled a trolley in M&S

As has been mentioned, why focus on Marks?

All the supermarkets are at it.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 16-Nov-19 13:20:11

You can hardly blame any firm for advertising their goods.

Nor do you know whether the people who buy the ready made Christmas fare you object so strongly to, pop some parcels of it into the food bank or contribute to making Christmas easier for those who use the food banks.

Presumably those who buy these foodstuffs, either can't cook, dislike doing so, or are working full-time and too tired to cook ,bake etc.

Oopsminty Sat 16-Nov-19 13:23:25

I love the word gewgaws though

I had to Google it

Chewbacca Sat 16-Nov-19 13:34:44

The homeless, flood victims, food bank clients and those not wealthy enough to shop in M&S food halls are indeed to be helped much more than they currently are being. But taking your argument to the nth degree, how many more people would be put out of jobs if M&S (and other food retailers) didn't sell their goods? Chefs who come up with the recipes for their food; cooks who prepare and cook it; frozen and chilled food distributors; haulage companies who transport food to the shops; warehouse operatives; shop assistants; store cleaners...... there's a whole network of people who work within a very long chain of food sales. And if you had your way, all of them would be out of a job and joining those who are homeless and looking to food banks to support them.

So yes, you are being unreasonable for not thinking your condemnation through properly.

Smileless2012 Sat 16-Nov-19 13:42:38

Well I don't like their Christmas ad but not because of what's being advertised; it's the singing.

Surely they could have picked something better for the children with those lovely voices to sing.

EllanVannin Sat 16-Nov-19 14:29:50

I don't think I've seen the ad. Lord knows what I watch, I couldn't tell you half the time.

Anyway, because I've got an M&S voucher/present, I'll be loading up next month as usual and if like Asda they have a trolley to use for those who can't afford much, I'll pop something in that as well.
I never feel guilty if I can help others. If everyone did that nobody would go without.

AllotmentLil Sun 17-Nov-19 08:48:59

I didn’t like the advert either because it was very dull. I volunteer in a foodbank which is next door to M&S and they give at least one trolley load of stuff everyday - they are one of our most generous and consistent donors. All the adverts at this time of the year will be over the top so just mute the ones you don’t like. But please keep donating to foodbanks!

Jane10 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:16:22

There a large receptacle at the checkout of our local M&S for donations of food from customers. It's always full. Also M&S pass on cases of food every day to various charities. The sandwiches are particularly welcomed by one charity I know of which helps homeless people. M&S are a good company. They provide jobs for many many people. The OP is being completely unreasonable.

Witzend Sun 17-Nov-19 10:21:40

All I can say about it, is that I think the jumpers are - at best - nothing at all to write home about. And I've seen even more (to me) truly horrible ones in the shop. I do often wonder whether their buyers are colour blind, or have had a taste bypass - or both.

Though having said that I have recently found 2 very nice, plain coloured, cowl necked, really long jumpers (to wear with leggings), in Cashmilon, for only £15 a pop.

Being a bit short of winter jumpers, if they'd had them in any other colours I liked (alas not) I'd have bought another.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 10:35:41

The jumpers are pretty awful. (Except for the plain grey v-necked one I've bought for DD)

Gonegirl Sun 17-Nov-19 10:39:57

Why is their Xmas ad only about jumpers? Don't they want to sell anything else?

glammanana Sun 17-Nov-19 12:03:28

I think all the Foodie adverts are looking delicious from M&S to Aldi depending on your budget and your presentation they all look yummy.
All the Stores donate excess food every day as far as I know,Sainsburys employees take crates full of sandwiches and distribute to homeless night sleepers throughout our area all donating their time free after working a shift in the store I'm sure other stores do the same.

M0nica Sun 17-Nov-19 22:48:13

All the advert breaks are Christmas ads from start to finish and frankly my eyes just glaze over and I cannot tell one from the other or where one ends and another starts.

I too do not why the OP is bothered by the M&S advert. All she has to do is donate food herself to the food bank. Most supermarkets have collection points for food for the food bank as does my church and we take food for the Food bank to the church each week.

In addition most if not all supermarkets (including M&S) have made arrangements to donate their surplus and close dated stock to Food Banks, Hostels for the homeless and other charities that can supply it to those in need.

Not to mention Crisis at Christmas that also benefit.