Gransnet forums

Christmas

Thank You Card or Gift?

(18 Posts)
Goodasgold12 Thu 21-Nov-19 18:16:08

I just wanted to Thank you for your advice very kind of you all. I decided to send a card with a note inside and posted it this afternoon. I will send flowers on their return as they are travelling and I'm not sure where they will be? I do think the voucher is a great idea and will be sure to check their local tea room and resturant out before they return? Many thanks!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 20-Nov-19 19:29:00

Agree with jaylucy

Aepgirl Wed 20-Nov-19 17:51:13

Yes, definitely a thank you card, and some flowers when they return.

cas58 Wed 20-Nov-19 17:20:37

Maybe you could do flowers the FTD way and have them sent to their away home.

Noname Wed 20-Nov-19 15:21:52

I often host for my work colleagues, sometimes dinner or afternoon tea etc. Some barely thank me but one lovely lady always sends, by post, a beautiful card expressing her thanks and delight for the occasion and it means the world to me so I agree a handwritten note is ideal.

Newatthis Wed 20-Nov-19 14:41:20

Find out what their local restaurant is (where they will be staying until March) and buy a voucher for this restaurant. It's easy to do as there are lots of restaurant sites out there and all you have to do is contact the restaurant. They can then 'have a drink' on you when they go there.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 20-Nov-19 14:34:18

I would send a thank-you letter or card and say that you are not sending flowers now, as you saw how many they had, but there will be some to welcome them home when they come back.

Make a note in your calendar when to send them.

Sending something to their home abroad is probably prohibitively expensive.

BusterTank Wed 20-Nov-19 14:22:33

Send a Thank you card with a little note inside with an invite for a meal when they return .

LuckyFour Wed 20-Nov-19 12:51:28

I had a friend to stay a month or so ago and on her return home she sent a thank you card to say how much she had enjoyed it. I was so pleased to receive it and still have it standing on my chest of drawers in the living room. A few well chosen words of thanks and good wishes are worth more than any gift.

Flossieturner Wed 20-Nov-19 12:05:02

I think a thank you letter is better than a card or a gift. I am sure they will treasure it.

jaylucy Wed 20-Nov-19 12:02:07

Do both !
Howabout you send a lovely thank you letter now and when you know that they have returned from overseas, send them flowers ?

NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Nov-19 11:43:40

Sounds lovely ! I would send a proper , hand written letter of thanks - they sound like they have plenty of everything and you took a gift , so just a few heart felt words would be perfect.

NotSpaghetti Wed 20-Nov-19 11:36:50

I'd send the thank you now and in a few days when they have gone, send a token gift (flowers, chocolate, wine or similar) to their home abroad. That would be such an unexpected treat, and so much more possible these days even in fairly remote places. You should be able to do this online. I have done this - and once I found a local restaurant with good reviews and just called them! They did everything else.

So glad you had a lovely time!

Goodasgold12 Wed 20-Nov-19 09:52:35

Yes I do agree with you Teatime thankyou. I do love a letter, I can remember when my Grandfather wrote to my parents every week even when we went a way for a week's holiday in Wales. The letter would be sitting on the breakfast table in the guest house! Loll Finding it very hard to buy nice writing paper these days though? My parents were very strict on manners and made us all sit at the table and write thank you letters! I get texts now off my Grandchildren and nieces and Online Christmas cards last year seemed very popular, but its not quite the same is it? No a Voucher and a letter will be a very good idea! Thank you both.

Goodasgold12 Wed 20-Nov-19 09:21:33

Oh what a good idea Marydoll thank you! I'm glad I asked now? lol I never gave that a thought and they have a famous tea room near by, they could have afternoon tea! what a splendid idea.

Teetime Wed 20-Nov-19 09:20:02

I think a thank you letter would be lovely we get so little 'real' post these days.

Marydoll Wed 20-Nov-19 07:41:06

Welcome to the forum, Goodasgold12, I'm sure you will get lots of sound advice here.
What lovely people to host the get-together.
Would it be possible to buy vouchers for a local restaurant, that they could use when they return?
In our family, we often do this and it is greatly appreciated.

Goodasgold12 Wed 20-Nov-19 07:14:11

Good Morning Everyone!
My first post here and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions or ideas for me please?

I have just returned from a wonderful Christmas house party with extended family. My family always go abroad the first week of December and won't return until March, so we celebrate and exchanged gifts before they go and I bought mine home to open on Christmas day with my husband.
My cousin and his wife are the perfect host and hostess and I want to thank them both, before they leave the country.
I would usually send them flowers as a thank you but the house was full of them and they won't be here long enough to enjoy them if I do? I gave them some chocolates when I arrived along with Christmas gifts. Would it be acceptable just to send a Thank you card or letter and send flowers when they return or does that look mean?

Any advice much appreciated
Thank you!