Gransnet forums

Christmas

Breakfast on Christmas day?

(32 Posts)
bettydl Thu 19-Dec-19 17:12:02

Any idea on something special that works well for young children?

Since our children are still young I don't think there is going to be a sit down meal at the table but rather eaten in front of the Christmas tree. We've already made raspberry jam especially for Christmas Day but am at a loss on how to serve a 'special' breakfast that doesn't involve a lot of time for me or my husband in the kitchen.

GrandmaMoira Thu 19-Dec-19 22:04:34

Smoked salmon and scrambled egg here.

dizzyblonde Thu 19-Dec-19 21:52:41

We have kedgeree and Buck’s Fizz. Will make the kedgeree this weekend and freeze. Can be heated in microwave and eaten in bowls on the sofa.

LadyGracie Thu 19-Dec-19 21:42:21

When we were children we always had pork pie but I can't remember for the life of me what we had it with it.

Pantglas2 Thu 19-Dec-19 20:28:56

Pudding 123 - that hot buttered sourdough sounds lovely to me! We’ll probably add scrambled eggs to that along with Buck’s Fizz and along with await-awhile to a late Christmas lunch!

Pudding123 Thu 19-Dec-19 20:21:57

Scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for me with hot buttered sourdough toast and coffee which I take back to bed with me

M0nica Thu 19-Dec-19 20:09:11

I leave each family member to fossick around and fix themselves the breakfast of their choice, tea or coffee, fruit juice and/or fruit, toast, cereal or scarmbled eggs.

I do not have any breakfast on Christmas day. I just wait till lunchtime.

NanKate Thu 19-Dec-19 20:06:15

A family tradition is/was cold game pie, mustard and cranberry sauce, a small glass of red wine or cup of coffee, then toast and marmalade.

Trouble is I can’t find game pie anywhere now. The type that is like a pork pie, not a hot meat pie.

bettydl Thu 19-Dec-19 19:54:20

Thank you everyone for such great ideas. We have our main meal as lunch so may need to have some of these ideas spread out over the Christmas period.

I think we will go for:
- fruit and yoghurt
- either crumpets or croissants with our jam

And then on boxing day (when girls are likely to just want to play with their toys all day)
- sausage roll breakfast or pigs in blankets

Would personally love smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, might do for us on Christmas Eve as an early treat for myself!

Grannyben Thu 19-Dec-19 19:23:52

Asda usually do Santa crumpets. The jam would go lovely with then.

Mollymalone6 Thu 19-Dec-19 19:23:01

Ooh, bit like Bradfordlass72, pigs in blankets, mini sausages rolls. Checker board sandwiches - brown and white bread - cut into small squares. And little bowls of berries and nuts. My little family members love it ?

sodapop Thu 19-Dec-19 19:05:09

Glutton for punishment allule good luck

Daddima Thu 19-Dec-19 19:05:07

Selection box?

EllanVannin Thu 19-Dec-19 18:58:00

Duck and orange pate on toast for me Christmas morning----and step-daughter too.

allule Thu 19-Dec-19 18:48:14

I worked out a quick way of making croissants, by freezing butter and grating it onto the dough. For some reason I started a tradition of me getting up at six on Christmas morning and making croissants from scratch for breakfas.t
Then moved on to cooking Christmas dinner.
I must have been mad!

BradfordLass72 Thu 19-Dec-19 18:43:21

Banana sandwiches?
Banana Croissants and a DustBuster, for how can you eat them round the tree without flakes going all over the place?
A bowl of mixed, fresh fruit to dip into.
3 ingredient Flapjacks? (Google it; very easy) made the day before.
Pigs in blankets (cooked sausages rolled in buttered bread) I had no idea anyone actually bought these until I read the shops had run out!

It's not what we shall be eating but that's not what you asked for grin

Happy Christmas !

DoraMarr Thu 19-Dec-19 18:36:16

Wildswan what a brilliant idea!
My children, when small, breakfasted on the chocolate coins and tangerines they found in their stockings, then scotch pancakes and milk. We had Christmas dinner at lunchtime too, so didn’t want too much at breakfast. Any grownups present had croissants and scotch pancakes, with Buck’s Fizz if they liked it (I did.)

lemongrove Thu 19-Dec-19 18:35:14

Thanks peeps?
His alter ego, Lord Lemongrove is having a great time on the Christmas Ball thread though.

timetogo2016 Thu 19-Dec-19 18:34:11

A typical breakfast for me of toast with either honey/luxury lemon curd/poached eggs.
Then dinner around 2/3pm.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Dec-19 18:30:04

Lemongrove sorry to hear that, wishing Mr.Lemon a speedy recovery

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 18:29:43

Oh lemon ? for you. x

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 18:28:35

Us oldies will be at home on our own for breakfast so it will be Burford Brown eggs and crumpets with coffee. No Buck’s Fizz - lunch is at 2pm in a local restaurant and we will wander over at noon first to see the grandchildren and their presents - maybe a flute of champagne there at 1pm - before we all set off.

No queuing for sprouts & turkey this year. Yippee!

lemongrove Thu 19-Dec-19 18:24:36

Usually croissants here too, and maybe some fruit.
Lots to do so easier to have a quick brekkie.
DH is spending his Christmas in hospital this year so I will join him later.sad

MissAdventure Thu 19-Dec-19 18:08:24

There are Christmas tree shaped crumpets around at the moment.
Easy!

wildswan16 Thu 19-Dec-19 17:47:39

My three used to open their stockings (which only had little presents in them) as soon as they got up and were still in pyjamas. Included in the stocking was always a packet of Bovril sandwiches (their favourite).

Now they are in their 40's they still remember eating their Bovril sandwiches and frequently still have them at Christmas.

Septimia Thu 19-Dec-19 17:40:46

DS has requested Christmas lunch rather than a later meal, so Idon't want to fill everyone up too much at breakfast time.

I've bought Christmas tree shaped crumpets and we can have those with chocolate spread....