Gransnet forums

Christmas

People are so kind

(23 Posts)
Destin Sat 21-Dec-19 18:16:04

Lovely story maddyone!

I had a little kindness shown to me this week that left a nice warm feeling in my heart and a smile on my face.

I went in the drive through on way to the Mall to order a cup of Tim Hortons coffee, and as I pulled up to the window to pay for my order, the cashier smiled as she handed me my coffee and said ‘no charge today - the lady in the car in front of you paid for your coffee and wished you a Merry Christmas!

I had no idea who this person was - but that thoughtful and kind little gesture made my day!

(Should mention that I live in Canada - the home of Tim Hortons coffee shops!)

PamGeo Sat 21-Dec-19 16:05:15

Well done on your epic adventure, apart from the wonderfully kind hearted people you came across it's lovely to know that your son trusts you with his son completely , he didn't doubt you for a moment did he. tchsmile

midnightschild Sat 21-Dec-19 15:58:19

Goodness maddyone, I’m very glad you encountered such helpful people. However it sounds as though you were landed with an awful lot of baggage to deal with and being expected to negotiate through extremely busy public transport with it whilst being responsible for a young child seems rather a lot to ask. I don’t think I would have attempted it. Well done to you.

maddyone Sat 21-Dec-19 15:47:55

Thank you all for such lovely responses, it was nice to share these very small, but hugely appreciated incidents with other grans, I knew you would like the story. I cannot tell you how nervous I was as I set off on the journey, weighed down with the heavy backpack and carrying other bags, I felt the full weight of responsibility for my grandson at that moment. I’m not keen on travelling around London on public transport at the best of times, but I do get on with it if I have to, but rush hour and a child in tow must have tripled my anxiety. I felt the responsibility when travelling up to London that morning, as we had five year old twins with us, and rest assured I know that if one twin goes one way, the other as sure as eggs are eggs will go the other way, but there were three adults, and so they were easy to hold on to. I did feel bad that I had to leave my daughter to get her twins and MiL home during rush hour, as MiL is not a confidant traveller herself, but luckily our daughter went to university in London and is used to it, even though she doesn’t live in London now. And of course she had to contend with the cancelled train, and subsequent journey across to Waterloo as well. Apparently they went by tube, they were braver than I was.
I think in common with all grandparents, I felt so absolutely responsible for my grandson, I think we feel more responsibility than we did as parents. Those people who made my journey easier, well they have probably forgotten about the grandma and her grandchild already, but I don’t think I will ever forget them.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 21-Dec-19 14:48:44

It helps you keep your faith in human nature, doesn't it?

Disgruntled Sat 21-Dec-19 11:00:03

Oh, I welled up reading this! Last time I was in Waterloo I nearly freaked out. Sooooo busy. WELL DONE you! smile

4allweknow Sat 21-Dec-19 10:25:01

So heartening to hear of your experience. There are a lot of kind considerate people out there. You surely made a lovely impression on the others too that they helped.

Daisymae Sat 21-Dec-19 09:31:48

Most people are kind and it's lovely that these people made your journey just a bit better. I think that asking for help is the way to go, sometimes British reserve holds us back. Glad that you arrived safe and sound

Nortsat46 Sat 21-Dec-19 09:25:29

I remember being on a very crowded London tube train, on my was to a Bruce Springsteen gig. The carriage was much more than ‘rush hour’ crowded and mostly full of Springsteen fans, going to the gig too.
I was getting off one stop early, to meet my friends and was worried about making my way to the door of the carriage, (which was packed like a sardine tin) and then managing to get out.

A huge man next to me saw my concern and asked if I was going to the gig, (he had travelled from Holland to attend it too). When the train doors opened at my station, he shouted in a very deep voice ‘Make way ... lady getting out for the gig’ and the whole carriage parted for me.

(It was a great gig, too)

craftyone Sat 21-Dec-19 09:23:29

oh there are kind people everywhere, many are quietly kind, like bringing in the waste boxes on bin day, sweeping outside in communal areas, offering to get shopping, offering lifts. My neighbours and I, we are kind to each other, observant but not nosy. Donating good things to a local charity shop for re-use, that is quietly kind. Maddyone, what a gem

Hetty58 Sat 21-Dec-19 09:21:24

maddyone, the key thing is that you actually spoke to people, allowing them to assist, indicating that you'd welcome their help. A lot of people, although kind, are wary of offering help - for fear of hostile rejection!

Cambia Sat 21-Dec-19 09:14:55

So nice to hear about the good things. Do you think people are becoming kinder and more aware? This week I have been so encouraged by the local homeless group volunteers and the amount of donations. People seem so more good natured this year in the shops. Food banks are being well supported. Please let’s make it a New Years resolution to be kind where we can.

grannyqueenie Fri 20-Dec-19 23:32:53

What a difference that made to a difficult journey,maddy Yes you’re right grannyA a little kindliness does go a long way. One day last week I trudged into our local supermarket feeling out of sorts with the world in general. As I picked up a basket I noticed a piece of card, on closer inspection it was double sided and carefully coloured in with beautifully written evocative seasonal verses. It made me smile and put a spring in my step. I asked around and discovered it’s a local man who makes them and leaves them for others to find. I later left it in another supermarket basket hoping someone else would enjoy it as much as I did. I hope you will all enjoy it too. tchsmile

ginny Fri 20-Dec-19 19:38:41

I still believe that there are more good people than bad. So good that you have speed your story. Normally we only hear the about the bad side .

Urmstongran Fri 20-Dec-19 19:35:51

Totally wonderful to read maddyone & such a nice way to put it grannyactivist.
??

Treebee Fri 20-Dec-19 19:24:55

So good to hear about the kindness of strangers.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 20-Dec-19 17:29:19

How kind was that, bet you were relieved to get back safe and sound: glad it went well

MamaCaz Fri 20-Dec-19 17:19:31

Lovely that it happened, and equally lovely that you didn't take it for granted, and are acknowledging this kindness by telling us about it, maddyone. smile

sodapop Fri 20-Dec-19 17:18:37

Nice to hear good things for a change. Sounds like they really helped with your nightmare journey maddyone.

grannyactivist Fri 20-Dec-19 17:00:37

At any time of the year a little kindliness goes a long way to making someone's day, but with the heightened emotions that Christmas brings I think it's worth making the choice to be kind 'on purpose'. I'm glad you not only experienced such kindness maddyone, but are appreciative enough to be commenting on it. tchsmile

Greenfinch Fri 20-Dec-19 17:00:24

What a nightmare journey for you maddyone.I am glad you found your fellow passengers so helpful. My son who travels that route quite often will always help old ladies carry their luggage and he is pleased to see how grateful they are so it works both ways.

PamelaJ1 Fri 20-Dec-19 16:55:29

Lovely when that happens.

maddyone Fri 20-Dec-19 16:45:10

Earlier this week I went up to London with my daughter, her twins, and her MiL. We went for a lovely afternoon tea and then on to the ballet. Unfortunately I had to leave at the interval due to an unforeseen event concerning my son that I absolutely could not miss, needless to say I was a very proud mum as I watched him. Anyway, he had asked me to bring my seven year old grandson (his son) back home with me so he and his partner could work/get ready for Christmas. So I was presented with a bag of gifts and an enormous backpack which contained grandson’s things to bring back. They left me at the tube which would take me to Victoria Station for the overland train. I was carrying this heavy and stuffed full backpack on my back, clutching two bags in my hand and clutching grandson with the other hand. The train was cancelled, so I had to go across to Waterloo for the train instead. We grabbed a taxi, couldn’t face the tube again, and arrived at Waterloo. The crowds were enormous, all waiting at the gate to the platform. As the gate opened, the crowd surged forward. I accidentally bumped into a man, apologised and indicated I was concerned to get my child through the gate ( I was afraid of the crowd forcing us to separate) and this wonderful man stood back, indicated for us to go first so we would be able to remain together. When we got to the platform to wait, I spoke to another man, checked this was the correct platform, and said I was a bit worried about getting on the train with my child in tow, as the crowds were surging forward, everyone wanting to get home. When the train came in, this lovely man stepped forward, put out his arms , holding the crowd back, and said loudly ‘Let this lady get on first, she’s got a young child.’ And they did. I was so touched by the behaviour of these lovely men who showed care and concern for an older lady with a little boy in the midst of the rush hour in London.
And the cherry on the cake was I sat chatting to a lovely lady on the train, who advised me when to move up the train to be in the correct carriage for my destination.
Amongst all the rushing and busyness, there are wonderful people out there who by a small action can make someone’s day. Those people certainly made mine.