Gransnet forums

Christmas

Save Christmas! Sign my petition so families can meet safely at Christmas time

(18 Posts)
mumofmadboys Wed 07-Oct-20 09:58:05

Christmas is about so much more than physically meeting up, eating big meals and giving presents. We will all need to celebrate it differently this year and that will be ok. Simple is so often good! Perhaps we can be more thoughtful to those who will be alone.

MrsRochester Wed 07-Oct-20 09:03:46

Sorry, but no. People really do need to get it into their heads that this won’t go away until everyone takes it very seriously and understands that they can’t ignore rules/guidance because they’re somehow special or because it’s their birthday/Christmas/holiday they’ve been looking forward to.

This is a virus, we are animals like any other. Unfortunately rabbits didn’t know about social distancing when myxomatosis tore through their population. We have that advantage and have to follow it if we’re not to suffer the same devastation.
If grandparents are vulnerable, all the more reason to keep distant.

Oldwoman70 Wed 07-Oct-20 08:49:27

Unfortunately, those who are not observing the guidance now will not observe any guidance for Christmas - after all they are far too important and special to have to abide by the same rules as the rest of us!

There has been no guidance issued for Christmas yet (just a suggestion that if people don't abide by current rules stricter ones may have to be brought in for Christmas).

Chewbacca Tue 06-Oct-20 23:19:55

If you can find me a petition that requests that anyone and everyone who ignores the guidance rules, that everyone knows about but some people to choose to ignore or think that they are a special case, or the rules don't apply to them and so they ignore them; will be thrown in jail for a minimum of 2 years, all assets seized and they will be named and shamed..... send it to me. I'll sign it. Otherwise, we just have to suck it up.

Marydoll Tue 06-Oct-20 23:09:39

I won't be signing. We all have to do what needs to be done. I would rather miss Christmas and keep my family safe.

Illte Tue 06-Oct-20 23:06:47

I'm fed up with everyone thinking they are special and that special arrangements should be made just for important them ?

lemongrove Tue 06-Oct-20 22:38:40

I think a petition for this is a silly idea.
We aren’t complying with restrictions for nothing, and if there are big get togethers at Christmas it will all be back to square one! Definitely not signing.

Hetty58 Tue 06-Oct-20 22:10:22

No - I can't see that working. The whole idea relies upon people being sensible and complying with the rules.

Unfortunately, many people aren't and don't.

'then can safely meet older relatives' well, being an 'older relative' myself I just don't want to take risks!

lemsip Tue 06-Oct-20 22:08:34

I won't be signing!

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 06-Oct-20 22:03:45

If they are vulnerable then even more reason to stay away surely!

Libbyh Tue 06-Oct-20 21:41:28

Of course not - but it might help vulnerable older folks see their grandchildren or their hard working key worker teachers and school staff children

merlotgran Tue 06-Oct-20 21:31:10

Will signing a petition make Covid disappear?

If only it were that simple.

NotTooOld Tue 06-Oct-20 21:29:38

Well said, Sparklefizz.

Sparklefizz Tue 06-Oct-20 20:45:42

Who is expected to wave a magic wand to make it suddenly safe to all meet up for Christmas?

As others have said, we need to accept that this Christmas will be a bit different, and to be grateful if we, and our loved ones, happen to be some of the lucky ones who are not ill.

paddyanne Tue 06-Oct-20 20:37:47

If everyone had followed the guidance we wouldn't be in this position.Sadly there are folk who think rules dont or shouldn't aply to them maybe missing Christmas will bring it home to them that it ncludes us all.Missing Christmas isn't the end of the world,as our FM said other faiths have missed their big celebrations ,haven't heard them whining about it .

Libbyh Tue 06-Oct-20 20:33:44

The closing date is automatic- the gov took a month to approve the petition. There will be huge numbers of children and teachers and school staff who won’t be able to have contact with grandparents ?

BlueBelle Tue 06-Oct-20 19:39:04

Won’t make any difference at all in my opinion
Kids need to be as normal as possible they ve had enough upset already Why pick on them, pubs, restaurants, shops weddings, funerals, public transport, old and young are all playing a part
We need to accept that Christmas this year will be a bit different but we’re alive and kicking give thanks for that

(Why is the deadline for the petition next April Christmas long done and dusted)

Libbyh Tue 06-Oct-20 19:21:20

Please consider signing this and passing it on to your friends and families

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/549015