Gransnet forums

Christmas

Not Buying Christmas Cards this year - instead I am ----

(11 Posts)
Oldbat1 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:47:11

My local food bank has requested no more donations!! They have more than enough seeminglyto see them until after Christmas. With regard to cards I had bought Christmas cards last year so will use them but put a note in to say I will be ceasing and donate money to charity in 2021. We already donate to charity instead of buying for Nieces and Nephews as they have more than enough in life.

Jane10 Sat 21-Nov-20 11:14:08

I'll be sending more cards than usual this year plus sending contributions to various charities.

MawBe Sat 21-Nov-20 11:10:15

I do t think it has to be “either/or”
I agree about cards being more important than ever and at least we will be spared those awful boasting letters about all the places friends have visited, their cruises, holidays etc
Given that 2020 has been the year my wheelie bins have been out more often than me, I think my “boast by post” could not run to more than got a delivery slot from Waitrose, got a hairdresser appointment, got my flu jab.
Anyway back to the point, charity cards and a donation to my favourite charities, and extra donations to the food bank as I don’t need to cater for a big family gathering.

suziewoozie Sat 21-Nov-20 10:42:45

I think cards are more important than ever this year and the food bank needs donations throughout the year - chances are it’ll be feast for them at Christmas and harder times in January.

PamelaJ1 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:37:14

We usually do a reverse advent calendar organised by our local church after Christmas when generosity slows down.
Our vicar seems to have taken no contact to heart and gone to ground so it will be up to individuals to sort it here.
I would think that most of us on here give support in many different ways.
I should think the food banks are running low on food because so many people are shopping on line. So much easier just to pop something in the box at the supermarket as one passes than actually make a special journey in to donate.

Nortsat Sat 21-Nov-20 10:25:12

We have done a Reverse Advent Calendar for the last few years. Put an item aside every day for 24 days and then parcel it all up in a couple of Christmassy ‘bags for life’ and donate it to your local food bank.

The Trussell Trust www.trusselltrust.org/ gives plenty of advice on what to include and they have a huge nationwide network of food banks. We include shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, washing up liquid and the like, a tin of good quality chocolate biscuits and the usual pasta sauce, tinned meat/fish and tinned fruit.
It’s really easy.

I am still sending Christmas cards though.

Parsley3 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:22:53

I have bought cards and gifts from the local hospice shop. Charities need all the support they can get just now.

lemongrove Sat 21-Nov-20 10:17:49

There’s no reason to not do both really.
Certainly many older people, especially who live alone appreciate the the thought, and the actual Christmas card dropping through the letterbox.

FannyCornforth Sat 21-Nov-20 10:13:41

Good for you.
I'll be continuing to send cards; donating to food banks via the supermarkets; and giving to charities through various means.

Grandmabatty Sat 21-Nov-20 10:13:36

I still send cards as I have friends and family who I don't see often as they live in different countries and some elderly friends who appreciate cards. A group of friends and I decided a couple of years ago to donate to a local food bank instead of giving each other gifts and that's what we do. It is a good idea.

cossybabe Sat 21-Nov-20 10:07:35

Buying for the local Food Bank. I contacted them and asked what they were most in need of - as it is run by volunteers all the products will go directly to those who need it