Gransnet forums

Christmas

Wrapping paper

(52 Posts)
ExD Mon 07-Dec-20 15:07:28

Year after year I buy rolls of Christmas wrapping paper, and year after year I am disappointed by the poor quality.
I'm not particularly rough with it, but the corners of boxes tear through and sometimes it even splits when I'm trying to fold it into a neat Vee at the ends, and don't mention awkwardly shaped parcels!
Where can I get some tough, good quality paper - I'm not fussy about the pattern design? Online would be easier for me as I don't get out much.

JackyB Wed 09-Dec-20 20:37:54

There are some beautiful ideas for wrapping gifts on YouTube. Some of them must take hours. And as Daisymae says, when the present is wrapped attractively, the contents may well disappoint!

tinaf1 Wed 09-Dec-20 19:57:00

Meant to add they had Christmas pictures on them ,they’re usually by the tills.

tinaf1 Wed 09-Dec-20 19:56:02

Bought three bags for life shopping bags in Tesco 60p each and put grandkids presents in them. No wrapping up and their mum and dad can use them for their shopping .

MrsDally Wed 09-Dec-20 18:52:54

Brown paper with ribbon is lovely, then use a gold/silver pen to write names or decorate.

Daisymae Wed 09-Dec-20 18:23:29

I actually went on a gift wrapping course a few years back. It was run by a lovely lady in her beautiful home who wraps presents for magazines, photo shoots etc. I can wrap anything and make it look rather lovely. I sometimes think though that the recipient may be a tad disappointed with the contents!

Lucretzia Wed 09-Dec-20 09:24:59

Marks and Spencer's paper is fabulous

I am not the best wrapper in the world and I too get infuriated with tearing paper

M&S is the best

FlowerNanny Wed 09-Dec-20 09:23:08

Another vote for WH Smith, their wrapping paper is good quality and does not tear easily lime the cheap supermarket stuff

gillyknits Tue 08-Dec-20 17:39:30

Paperchase had strong paper but this year found a big roll at TK Maxx, ,really tough stuff.

Caro57 Tue 08-Dec-20 17:38:59

Brown paper packages tied up with string and decorated

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 08-Dec-20 15:54:05

I shall probably be getting from Oxfam because Christmas is about charity. Oxfam sells, as someone has already mentioned, strong recycled paper

jools1903 Tue 08-Dec-20 13:47:53

I’ve just bought some heavy duty really wide and long rolls of wrapping paper from the Co Op 3for2, it was an impulse buy as daughter and boyfriend’s present are large (they’re buying their own home next year).

Dianehillbilly1957 Tue 08-Dec-20 12:50:40

Most of my gifts are wrapped in brown paper, and some ribbon, still looks nice and is recyclable, normal wrapping paper apparently is not.

Shandy3 Tue 08-Dec-20 12:47:23

I agree, Costco has very thick wrapping paper. On Huge rolls, the only problem is it goes on forever!
I agree brown paper with pretty ribbons is the way to go.
Think green folks, be kind to our world, we dont need to clog our land up with further plastic bags or folied wrapping paper that can't be recycled.

Phloembundle Tue 08-Dec-20 12:08:18

W.H. Smith. Because their paper has the advantage of having lines drawn inside to guide eejits like me to cut it straight.

Granny23 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:52:10

For large awkward shaped parcels I use bright red pillowcases - 2 for £2 - from ASDA tied with tartan ribbon at the top and named with Tags from last years Christmas Cards. Some of mine have been going back and forward for 5 years now. Also use Christmassy carrier bags from Supermarkets and collect Christmas themed cardboard boxes, also from supermarkets.

This year the family have agreed that all the DGC's presents will be wrapped in advance, placed in pillowcase 'sacks' with child's name and left untouched for 72 hours before Christmas Day. So no need for someone to 'pass the parcel' from under the tree, everyone will just work their way through their own sack.

Davida1968 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:44:58

Am I the only GN who (nowadays) carefully saves (and re-uses) the paper from gifts we're given? I have some Christmas paper rolls but I try to recycle as much as I can. I love gift bags; they can circulate for years between family and friends!

Notright Tue 08-Dec-20 11:39:51

Three years ago I bought a large, very large roll of beautiful paper from £1 shop. I only use it for family presents and it's now a joke that I've still got some left.
Be careful because they mostly sell the tacky thin stuff.
Not promising they'll have it this year. Good Luck.

Theoddbird Tue 08-Dec-20 11:32:47

I use plain brown wrapping paper and tie with pretty gold Christmas ribbon. I use plain brown labels that have a heart cut out I decorate them with a gold outline and gold writing.

Nellie54 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:28:19

IKEA, pack of 3 lasts ages . Often brown patterned so truly recyclable.

Rosalyn69 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:21:42

John Lewis. Beautiful patterns and fit for purpose.

Kim19 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:18:30

I tend to use Ikea. Started off with liking a particular design and then discovered the quality. Don't do so much wrapping nowadays. Tend to use (and regularly re-cycle) appropriate carrier bags.

Juicylucy Tue 08-Dec-20 11:00:46

IKEA do brown bags all different sizes sold individually then you just put prezzie in tissue paper with a bow on outside of bag. Best paper for quality I’ve found is John Lewis but they are individual sheets so depends on how much you need regarding the expense.

Bijou Tue 08-Dec-20 11:00:25

I got some from Amazon. Expensive but good strong recycled with good designs. I also use bags saved from last year.

Cid24 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:56:08

Tesco paper is good and it’s recyclable too

Redhead56 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:19:17

B&M have random boxes of rolls of Christmas wrapping paper around the store. It is a really thick roll good quality and £1 its better than anywhere else.