Gransnet forums

Christmas

Another ‘present for mum’ thread!

(20 Posts)
Flaxseed Sun 24-Oct-21 18:14:51

Thank you everyone!
Mum has spoken about wanting to give up driving for months now. I need to respect that decision, so whilst the refresher lessons sound great, I have to rule that out.
My DD is a beauty therapist so does mums nail’s whenever she wants. We all live nearby and see each other regularly so I am leaning towards buying something for her and a friend to do. I love the idea of vouchers too!
Thank you thanks

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 18:36:57

I still think that doing something with Mum would be most appreciated.
18 months after being widowed and with lockdowns to cope with, time together is the most precious commodity - at 79 she may be feeling her years as well as loneliness.
If you are not on your own, it can be hard to appreciate that “having nobody to do nothing with” is one of the hardest things.

Jaxjacky Sat 23-Oct-21 14:57:08

MayBeMaw as the OP said her mother lost her confidence driving I thought this may help, if she’s keen to drive again. They have lessons for anxious drivers or if you’ve not driven for some time, not necessarily a critique!

PammyHoops Sat 23-Oct-21 14:49:48

My daughters bought me a ticket to a show at my local theatre, then came collected me joined me for pre show drink and tapas and then we 3 went to the theatre.
I loved the show, Evita, but being collected and sharing the show with them and time to chat was such a treat for me.

kittylester Sat 23-Oct-21 14:39:11

What about regular flower deliveries?

hollysteers Sat 23-Oct-21 14:08:16

I would make inquiries regarding massage/nails/reflexology etc.
I can’t think of anything worse. Some people just don’t enjoy that sort of thing. My sister gave me a voucher for such a thing and I never used it.

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 14:02:38

Jaxjacky

You could try something like this if she’d like to drive again?
www.olderdrivers.org.uk/driver-assessment/refresher-driver-training/

I’m afraid I would think that a reflection on my driving skills and while a very good idea, might backfire- no pun intended.

silverlining48 Sat 23-Oct-21 13:55:39

I agree with Maw, spending time with my dd(s) having an adult/grown up fancy tea would always be my choice.
Depends on how far away you live.

Jaxjacky Sat 23-Oct-21 11:25:52

You could try something like this if she’d like to drive again?
www.olderdrivers.org.uk/driver-assessment/refresher-driver-training/

grandMattie Sat 23-Oct-21 11:17:29

A book of vouchers promising stuff like - an extra visit, a bunch of flowers, a cake, a home cooked meal, an outing… to be redeemed when she fancies it?

MayBeMaw Sat 23-Oct-21 11:12:57

As a Mum now on her own, I would say take her to a posh lunch or afternoon tea or to a show - personally the company of my adult children I something I treasure.

annodomini Sat 23-Oct-21 11:10:53

One of my best presents was a salon massage, several years ago, in my mid 70s. I felt rejuvenated!

bongobil Sat 23-Oct-21 10:46:11

Does she like having her nails done, my Mum does I have bought several vouchers for her to have this done at her local salon, Ive even bought hairdresser vouchers as well. Her favourite is the afternoon tea though.

Scones Sat 23-Oct-21 10:41:57

A lovely friend did that for my birthday in August Tanith It was a wonderful treat.

tanith Sat 23-Oct-21 10:22:47

You could have a Cornish cream tea delivered to share with her friend.

crazyH Sat 23-Oct-21 10:20:03

A head and shoulder massage. It’s something she wouldn’t probably want to spend on herself.

Riverwalk Sat 23-Oct-21 10:17:47

I think the theatre is still a good option - obviously accompanied by you/friend.

Mary Poppins is fantastic - my sister took me for my birthday last month!

Fleur20 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:14:54

How about a reflexology or shiatsu hand massage?
Really relaxing, gives pain relief to any issues, don't have to undress(!), doesn't take ages, can be booking at a convenient time and feels absolutely lovely!!

Granny23 Sat 23-Oct-21 10:13:20

I have really enjoyed a couple of Afternoon Teas at a local really posh Hotel. I was given a voucher for four people, so also enjoyed the pleasure of treating 3 friends.

Flaxseed Sat 23-Oct-21 10:06:27

Came on to ask about ideas for a present for my Mum and see that sandye has already started one that has some lovely ideas, but I would like your ideas for more of an ‘experience’ please!
She’s almost 79 and still active although recently lost confidence driving so is now reliant on public transport or family/friends.
When Dad was still alive we would buy them tickets for a show in London including a coach trip to avoid navigating the tube etc
They loved these trips but sadly Dad died 18 months ago.
We (my DM, DD’s, DSis) all go to afternoon tea twice a year, although buying a voucher for her and a friend is an option I will consider.
Any other ideas please?