Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Songs I Dislike.

(152 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 06-Dec-21 13:59:28

Heard the Jonah Lewie song ‘Stop The Cavalry’ on the radio this morning. I remarked to DH that it was one song I didn’t like at the time, and still don’t!

Is it the tune, ‘du du, dududu, du du ….’ the words, the singer?

Don’t know, but certainly not in my top ten.

Kryptonite Tue 07-Dec-21 14:22:29

I usually turn off the iconic White Chtistmas. Don't know why. Rather sad. But I love Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Judy Garland, which I think is meant to be sad and full of pathos. Can't stop thinking about Christmas being difficult for many people I know.

polly123 Tue 07-Dec-21 14:18:04

Hate the Mariah Carey one, sooo irritating.

Kryptonite Tue 07-Dec-21 14:17:43

Foxyferret I love the Cowboy Carol too. Used to sing it in the choir at school.

Kryptonite Tue 07-Dec-21 14:15:36

Heard the new Christmas song from ABBA today. Not sure if I care to hear it again. Rather twee and sugary.

Sawsage2 Tue 07-Dec-21 14:11:28

I love Troicka by Prokovief. I imagine I'm in a horse drawn sleigh in a snowy winter landscape.

JadeOlivia Tue 07-Dec-21 14:03:22

I read the title of the post and immediately thought of " Stop the Cavalry", absolutely hate the song ! I wonder why ?

Dickens Tue 07-Dec-21 14:03:14

Bazza

Quite a few TBH but the very worse of all is I wish it could be Christmas every day. I struggle to think of anything much worse!!

... obviously written by a man... grin

LisaAN Tue 07-Dec-21 13:58:39

Dickens

Juliet27

Driving Home for Christmas always makes me sad as neither my son nor daughter will manage that from Australia

sad flowers

... same here... from South Africa

And here ... from America

Bazza Tue 07-Dec-21 13:55:15

Quite a few TBH but the very worse of all is I wish it could be Christmas every day. I struggle to think of anything much worse!!

Foxyferret Tue 07-Dec-21 13:34:32

There’s a song called the cowboy carol, we used to sing it at school. Look on YouTube and there are versions by various choirs. I loved it, it starts There’s a new world beginning from tonight. Other lyrics There’ll be a bright new way of living that will sweep like lightning fire and chase away the hate from every land. Wonderful! My favourite is o holy night by John denver or celine Dion

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-Dec-21 13:23:11

Justanotherwannabe

The Pogues. I like the tune, but did you ever listen to the words!

Yes. The awful thing is that it portrays what Christmas is like for a lot of people.
Still love it though.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-Dec-21 13:21:08

I quite like the Bob Dylan one that he did a couple of years ago. Can’t remember the title.
Also Bing Crosby and David Bowie, is it the Little Drummer Boy

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-Dec-21 13:18:42

sazz1

Baby please come home, lonely this Christmas as they are sad.
Also little drummer boy as its connected to Hindley and Brady and what they recorded as background music

Oh Lulu I wish you hadn’t told us that. I won’t be able to listen to it now without having the same thought.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-Dec-21 13:15:03

Can’t stand Driving Home for Christmas
Cliff Richard
Mariah Carey
Lots that I like but won’t list them now, except to mention Simon and Garfunkel’s Silent Night sung against the 7 o’clock news. It’s very evocative and still brings a tear to my eye.

Kalu Tue 07-Dec-21 13:12:02

I do like Leon Redbone’s version of Frosty the Snowman though.

Bluecat Tue 07-Dec-21 13:01:46

I didn't know that about Little Drummer Boy. To be honest, I wish I didn't know it now.

I love carols. One of my favourites is the Cherry Tree Carol, a traditional English carol which shows that our ancestors had considered how cross Joseph must have felt about Mary's pregnancy. Joan Baez and Judy Collins have both recorded lovely versions.

I am not a big fan of Mistletoe And Wine or Frosty the irritating Snowman. I like most of the songs already mentioned but I think my favourite Christmas songs are Gaudete by Steeleye Span and Elvis's wonderfully snarly Santa Claus Is Back In Town.

The first year that my DD and her family moved to the USA, they said that Christmas there didn't feel the same. One of the differences was that the songs that we hear every Christmas, playing everywhere, aren't usually played there. Then one day, when they were in a mall, I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day started to play. At the sound of Roy Wood's voice, DD and teenage DGD burst into homesick tears.

Grannynannywanny Tue 07-Dec-21 12:54:56

All I want for Christmas is you. Always makes me have a dance around

And me Sheilasue. It’s the signal for me to get up and dance silly with very excited grandchildren.

Sheilasue Tue 07-Dec-21 12:33:17

All I want for Christmas is you. Always makes me have a dance around

Buttonjugs Tue 07-Dec-21 12:25:21

Everyone seems to love the Mariah Carey one but I absolutely detest it! My favourite one, however - and it hardly ever gets played - Hey Mr Christmas by Showaddywaddy. Fun, uplifting, great beat, children’s voices. It’s just wonderful but so underrated.

Buttonjugs Tue 07-Dec-21 12:18:58

Lincslass

Love Slave, Wizard, Cliff, what’s wrong with Christian rhyme anyway, seeing as it is a Christian celebration, now, yes I know about the pagan bit. Only one I can’t stand is anything by Carey.

I often think how very lucky it was that Jesus was born around Winter Solstice! grin

OldEnough2noBetter Tue 07-Dec-21 12:14:54

Flossiebo

Oh bums. I like them all ?

Just make me feel Christmassy, .......although Mistletoe and Wine.....?

Like you, I love them all. I’ve always loved Christmas, although it’s often spoiled for me. The worst one was when my Mum died on Boxing Day. I’m sure you can all imagine my family weren’t full of good will and Christmas cheer that year. Now, I appreciate every Christmas song, even the sappy ones or the over played ones.

allsortsofbags Tue 07-Dec-21 12:08:18

I'm sick of hearing most of them by November :-) So even the ones I like a little bit get on my nerves by the time it's Christmas.

Like another poster "O Holy Night" gets me but it was only last week did I learn that the Band Aid sonf "Feed The World" gets to both DD's.

DH flew on the last air drop in Ethiopia and they weren't due back in the UK until after Christmas.

They were the crew who had the TV bods with them. DD1 had given DH a Walkman - remember them:-) - and had made a tape for him, 'Feed The World' was one of the songs.

The TV crew picked up on the fact that the crew were playing DD1"s tape through their headphones as they came in for the drop, before the business coms started, the TV bods thought it would be good TV.

When it went out on the news DD1 and I had an awful job consoling DD2 who was hugging the TV and crying "I want my Daddy".

She was upset for days so we had to get to the TV before any news broadcast so as not to set her off again.

So I do understand why they don't like hearing that song, takes me right back to the living room in the house we lived in, amazing how the mind and emotions work.

Lilyflower Tue 07-Dec-21 11:58:02

The DH asked me which was my favourite Christmas pop song (as opposed to carol) at breakfast this morning.
Me: Which is yours?
Him: Fairytale in New York.
Me: That's the one I really hate.
Him: Well, what do you like then?
Me: George Michael, Last Christmas. Because I'm shallow and tacky.

Oh George. We miss you.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 07-Dec-21 11:51:52

BigBertha1, you are so right - nothing compares to the sublime Shepherds Farewell. To add to the Moors Murderers thread, they taped this and it was played in court, leaving many jurors and journalists traumatised.

Moth62 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:51:33

O Holy Night always reduces me to tears. My dad loved it, especially the Perry Como version. He loved Christmas and always cooked the dinner on Christmas Day. The early 1970s had some fab Christmas songs and they just remind me of being a teenager and all the fun of Christmas