Gransnet forums

Christmas

Would you 'approve' of theatres being open on Christmas Day?

(83 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 13-Dec-21 11:36:34

Or any entertainment venue really.

Namsnanny Thu 16-Dec-21 12:49:53

TBH I think if it ever happened the tickets would be astronomical in price.
Especially if the London shows opened. I could imagine that tourists would flock to see a big production.

paddyann54 Wed 15-Dec-21 18:10:28

I'd leave home if I had to listen to Sir Cliff.I have no problem with Theatres or shops being open on Christmas Day as long as its the choice of the folk who work there
I have always been pleased about Sunday opening as we worked 6 day weeks often until very late and fitting shops in at lunchtimes was a problem.Sunday opening meant I could wander round shops for Christmas gifts and take time over it .

MissAdventure Wed 15-Dec-21 16:37:31

Thays not the same as having a purpose to go out.
Though I would run out the door if cliff richard was the alternative. smile

Pepper59 Wed 15-Dec-21 16:35:11

There are many online Zoom Carol Services and Christmas events, even Zoom theatre. I would also thoroughly recommend the Cliff Richard Great 80 Concert which you should be able to get from 5 on Demand. I have to say it was an uplifting concert. I do understand Christmas can be a lonely and difficult time for many folk. Mind you, the 'happy family all round the table' scenarios are in reality very few and far between. Round the table they may be but happy.......

MissAdventure Wed 15-Dec-21 14:07:08

I think the people best placed to decide what they would like to do on christmas day if they're alone, are the people themselves.
Not those who are "just on their own" with their husband or partner.

Judy54 Wed 15-Dec-21 14:02:12

I agree with Lizbethann going to church on Christmas day whether you are Christian or not is a wonderful idea. The service with carols will be lovely and there will be people to meet and to chat with. Give it a try I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Riverwalk Wed 15-Dec-21 10:01:00

I make sure I've got anything I might need for at least 10 days by about 22/23 Dec, I lock the doors, turn off the lights, tv and my phone, then double my painkillers, take sleeping aids and do my very best to sleep through 25&26th at the very least. The phone and tv don't go back on until at least 28th and I don't open the front door until 1 Jan.

Harmonypuss I'm shocked and saddened that you feel the need to do this every Christmas - lots of people live alone but I hope not many resort to literally medically knocking themselves out to sleep for two days!

Much of the Christmassy happy family stuff is advertising puff to sell more consumer goods and promote celebrities - not everyone is having a whale of a time.

Don't switch off your lights and hide - why not spend the days eating, drinking, reading and watching non-seasonal TV/films wine

Naninka Wed 15-Dec-21 08:52:43

One or two days off a year isn't much to ask. Nobody really wants to work and I doubt anyone would attend anyway.

Lizbethann55 Wed 15-Dec-21 07:39:32

It is terribly sad that anyone should feel lonely at Christmas, but in all honesty , I am not sure that going to the theatre would be the best solution. Apart from filling a fee hours wouldn't it just make the feeling of being alone worse? Sitting on your own, surrounded by groups of family and friends laughing, joking and chatting together. I hate to sound controversial but wouldn't going to a church be a better option? If you checked local times you could go to several and try different denominations and sizes of church. It would be a lot cheaper and some churches will have coffee afterwards and there would be many people on their own. Even if you are not a Christian the service can be watched as a piece of theatre with music and singing and beautiful words.

icanhandthemback Tue 14-Dec-21 21:49:50

I think it should be at the discretion of the staff and company. I don't think anybody should be banned from working on Christmas Day or Easter Sunday but they shouldn't be forced to work either.

sazz1 Tue 14-Dec-21 20:17:10

If they wanted to open its fine by me. Xmas evening would be nice to take children to a show, or probably Boxing Day would be better.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 14-Dec-21 20:00:04

Shops & entertainment venues - definitely not

MissAdventure Tue 14-Dec-21 19:33:59

It isn't the same in health care.
You work what rotate is, depending on those in management as to whether there is room for negotiation.
Nice to see everyone so full of the spirit of christmas, though. wink

LOUISA1523 Tue 14-Dec-21 19:15:58

At restaurants it is generally staff who vintner to work Xmas day
......and they do because the pay is better and good tips....so those who don't want to work don't have to.....orif they do its a reduced shorter shift.....same in health care. With a theatre show then all staff would have to come in ..... its a shit idea

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 14-Dec-21 18:42:19

I really feel for you AreWeThereYet and everyone who has to work in shops setting up the sales for Boxing Day. Is it all really necessary? What a miserable time shop workers have, and little thanks.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Dec-21 18:01:27

smile
Off piste is good.
It would have to mean people who wanted to work only did the christmas shift, I reckon - maybe a slimmed down show?
I don't suppose the audience would care too much.
I think it would mean such a lot to the lonely.

Not that you could pay me to go and watch. smile

AreWeThereYet Tue 14-Dec-21 17:56:34

MissAdventure sorry, I went a bit off piste there, of course you're right and that wasn't what I meant. I'm going to have to get used to not talking so much and not straying from the point ? If people are happy to be at work I would have no problem with theatres being open, assuming people wanted to go.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Dec-21 17:47:01

I dont think a show at a theatre would be anything to do with consumerism.
It would be more to to do with showing a bit of kindness to lonely people who wanted to get out for the day.
A bit like the spirit of Christmas is meant to be.

AreWeThereYet Tue 14-Dec-21 17:40:31

So sorry that was very long. Got carried away.

AreWeThereYet Tue 14-Dec-21 17:39:59

My goodness I worked in both M&S and Boots some years ago and always ended up working Christmas Eve and Boxing Day because I had no family at the time. I would really like to see all shops closed for both days and everywhere closed on Christmas Day.

I had to work in Boots one year on Christmas Eve preparing for the after Christmas sale, and couldn't leave until 10 pm. By that time it was dark and snowing, I couldn't get a taxi home, DH was away and I had to walk five miles home in the snow. Working in M&S on Boxing Day was when I started to understand what people meant by rampant consumerism - I felt like everything we had sold pre Christmas Day was being returned, mountains and mountains of unwanted things. It was a long hard shift.

GagaJo Tue 14-Dec-21 17:24:22

If you chose to work in the arts, you know that it involves working out of hours. And each production is something the artists audition for. It isn't like being a doctor and having to stay late because a case runs over.

Artists have been desperate for work since covid closed most of it down.

I'm a teacher and because I work with non-Christian students living in non-Western counries, I'm working through Christmas. Zero days off. (NOT complaining, I'm lucky I have as much work as I do.)

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 14-Dec-21 17:16:38

I’m sorry for your plight poshpaws but have you thought about how many people would be needed to put on a show and how many of them would be too far from home to be able to see their families, leaving them in exactly your position? It’s not the same as everyone working locally and getting to go home at the end of their shift.

poshpaws Tue 14-Dec-21 16:28:02

Yes, I'd heartily approve.

Loads of people work on Christmas Day, and many find it's a really fun, cheerful day that flies past because of the "Christmas Spirit" everyone's feeling.

And I'd absolutely love to go to the theatre on Christmas Day, especially now that I'm widowed and my son & DIL can't manage the 10 hour journey to be with me this year - it'd give me something to really look forward to and by entertained by.

Janetashbolt Tue 14-Dec-21 14:18:23

I disagree with shops/supermarkets being open Boxing Day, no need and the staff could do with a break (I used to work retail)

Happysexagenarian Tue 14-Dec-21 13:51:26

No. Nor boxing Day actually, there's plenty of time before and after Christmas for theatre performances.