Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas card etiquette

(8 Posts)
GrannySeaside51 Thu 08-Dec-22 11:26:58

Can I turn to you please for a little advice. A neighbour of mine is in the very late end stage of cancer and the family are waiting for a hospice to have room for her. I don’t want to send a Christmas card wishing them a happy christmas and new year for obvious reasons but I’d like to send something so they know they are not being ignored. I thought a blank card but how would you word it? Thanks

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Dec-22 11:28:28

I would get a Christmas card without printed words and write thinking of you at this difficult time or similar (((hugs)))

Greenfinch Thu 08-Dec-22 11:29:51

I would just say Thinking of you at Christmas .

Chardy Thu 08-Dec-22 12:03:24

Season's Greetings?

Aldom Thu 08-Dec-22 12:28:55

Thinking of you and wishing you a gentle Christmas.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Dec-22 18:01:14

"Thinking of you" is what I would choose, although I couldn't find one I liked recently and so sent one saying "Wishing you a peaceful Christmas" to a family who have someone who is very ill just now.

It's probably more important to actually send a card than to get what it says exactly right, as I would think that some people might feel too awkward to send one at all.

Yammy Fri 09-Dec-22 12:39:39

I have a friend in a similar situation, I sent a card with animals in the snow, It was blank inside and I said I was thinking of them and their unfortunate situation at such a difficult time of year for them.
I got a phone call to say thank you and it was good to know someone appreciated their situation.

Larsonsmum Fri 09-Dec-22 12:47:41

I used to work in retailing greetings cards - there are plenty available which say ‘Thinking of You at Christmas’ with appropriate words/verses/blank for such circumstances.