Gransnet forums

Christmas

Did you have a works event at Christmas ?

(22 Posts)
Floradora9 Sun 11-Dec-22 15:00:37

I worked in a small branch of a bank so we had to to join the main branchs for our Christmas do . I enjoyed the fact that the bank were paying for our meal but hated the presence of " Santa " . We were sent a bag of fellow worker's names and picked one for you to buy a the worker a gift for the sack . When your name was called out on the night you had to go up to see Santa to collect your gift and were made to sit on his knee. Now Santa was in fact our young HR manager and horrible chap with high ideas of himself so this did not go down well with me especially as I was a more mature worker. The final straw came when my friend and workmate sat on his knee and he wispered " mmmm this is nice " . I then realised if I did not put my name in the hat or take a name out I would not have to go through this farce. People always wondered why I did not get a gift from Santa.
This same horrible you man would visit our branch after New Year and kiss you . I managed to turn my head when he did so so he ended up kissing my ear. Our manager also like to give out New Year kisses and I refused saying I would not normally kiss him for the rest of the year so why shoud I do it on the 2nd. of January.

silverlining48 Sun 11-Dec-22 15:37:28

Always worked in LA public service so never had a ‘paid for’ party at Christmas. Nor a bonus or even a bar of chocolate ...not even a Thankyou.

Sometimes we went fir a meal somewhere one evening ( own time) and always paid for ourselves. Not very jolly. Ho ho ho. Bah humbug.

Once when I was about 20 and working briefly for a pub chain I was pinned up against the wall by the accountant fir a ‘snog’.
Not Christmas, and not nice.

Blossoming Sun 11-Dec-22 15:55:55

Yes, although a small company we worked all over the world depending where are clients were based, so we had an annual company meeting followed by some sort of fun activity and an evening dinner. They were always held in good hotels, often in Henley or Oxford. It was always lovely to see my friends and colleagues.

annsixty Sun 11-Dec-22 15:57:07

I also worked for an L.A.
As you said nothing if we didn’t organise our own, usually a meal out in town after work.
I can’t remember any but one so they must have been unmemorable.
On that occasion somebody took it on themselves to organise a Saturday afternoon matinee for the pantomime.
I remember nothing about the panto but we had a meal booked at The Flying Horse, at that time a prestigious pub/hotel in Nottingham.
As a young girl this was way out of my league and I felt very posh.
It later became a Berni Inn and I went a few times as my D was at Uni there.
I always thought about it’s former glory when I went.

silverlining48 Sun 11-Dec-22 16:03:44

Nothing changes. No value is and never has been given to public service. No profit ? No interest. Just a thought.

lixy Sun 11-Dec-22 16:05:54

We organised and paid for our own Christmas evening out and it was usually good fun.

Once I was seated next to the boss which would have been fine but my front crown had come loose that afternoon. I stuck it back in with some temporary glue but every time I said a word with an 'f' in it the tooth stuck to my bottom lip and threatened to fall out! Horrible evening!

Cabbie21 Sun 11-Dec-22 16:06:42

Floradora9 that sounds inappropriate.
At my last school we finished at 12 noon on the last day and a staff lunch/ party followed. It used to be a buffet with everyone contributing food, but then a new Head decided we all had far too much to do at the end of term to bother with buying or making food, so she ordered pie and peas ( this was Yorkshire, you understand). £3 per head. Most of us were driving. Soft drinks provided. Followed by a quiz - stay if you can, go when you must, so suited everyone.
I can’t recall any other school having a Christmas party for staff, apart from small groups going to the pub or out for a meal.

Chestnut Sun 11-Dec-22 16:12:57

Whoah, Floradora9, I'm astonished that horrible 'young man' got away with all that! Sitting women on his knee, when was that ever acceptable in the work place? I'm amazed. And as you say, what's with all the kissing? I've worked in many places both public and private sector and I can't remember anywhere where the men went round kissing the women. Unless I'm getting forgetful or didn't mind? I really don't know the answer, but presumably no-one tried to get fresh or I'd remember.

M0nica Sun 11-Dec-22 16:17:26

It varied enormously depending on where I worked. My first job was with a small company of chartered accountants in the City. The senior partner was a Freeman of the City of London and belonged to one of the big Livery Companies. I attended my first annual do in the Great Hall of this grand building. There were 20 of us and the women all got given bracelets and the men propelling pencils.

It was all down hill from there. Everything from nothing to a free Christmas lunch in the canteen to free or paid meals out. DH always did much better and I went to quite a number of company dinner/dances with him.

aggie Sun 11-Dec-22 16:22:45

We organised a staff party every year. Usually in an Hotel , then that got too expensive , and you had to gon, even if I was at least 30 years older !
It always ended in a kerfuffle as bleary eyed boss tried to sort the bill , I didn’t drink so led a revolt on splitting the bill , I paid my own bill rang a taxi and left them to it
Hated every minute but had to do it several years in a row , but then I volunteered to do on call from home and missed the last few of my illustrious career!

Chestnut Sun 11-Dec-22 16:27:16

I do remember a culture shock when I left London in the 1970s and moved to a town in the Midlands. In the central London GPO telephone exchange where I worked we had an extended lunch period, plenty of food and drink provided in a large room with music playing. It was all very Christmassy and fun, we felt appreciated. The following Christmas 1974 I was in a telephone exchange in a provincial town, where we were allowed a glass of sherry and a mince pie in the supervisor's office during a 15 min afternoon break and no music. What a difference! It made me feel nostalgic for London.

VB000 Sun 11-Dec-22 16:29:31

Wow, floradora9, how awful!

All toned down since before Covid. Used to be a big dressy affair - only real chance to get glammed up each year. Since then, the company arranged the same thing last Xmas, but hardly anyone wanted to go, so a shame.

This year, everyone responded to a survey saying we wanted to celebrate in our smaller teams with a £15 payment towards it (per person). Those who aren't going are able to claim £15 towards a bottle or something festive instead (receipts to be added!)

TillyTrotter Sun 11-Dec-22 17:05:42

When I was very young an Accountant working in my Company visited every office on Christmas Eve afternoon with mistletoe, expecting a Christmas kiss.
He was around 40 yrs old. I ran out of the office the first time making an excuse to leave - and thereafter I booked Christmas Eve off as holiday. The rest of the year he seemed a sensible, decent man.

Dottydots Sun 11-Dec-22 17:40:07

I worked for a firm of solicitors. At our Christmas do I had a seat opposite the head partner. He kept smiling at me and winking, making me feel uncomfortable.

Then my friend sitting next to me whispered to me "Lovely meal, and by the way your right boob is hanging out." I was mortified. I ran to the toilet and adjusted my dress and returned red faced to the table.

Mollygo Sun 11-Dec-22 17:44:21

We used to have a Jacob’s Join on the second to last day before the end of term. You signed up for what you wanted to bring.
Eventually we started going out for a meal-order and pay in advance except for drinks. For the last few years we’ve gone bowling as well. Great fun.
There’s never been any question of it being paid for by anyone except ourselves, overhead often buys enough sparkling wine for everyone to join the Christmas toast.

Floradora9 Sun 11-Dec-22 21:39:04

Chestnut

I do remember a culture shock when I left London in the 1970s and moved to a town in the Midlands. In the central London GPO telephone exchange where I worked we had an extended lunch period, plenty of food and drink provided in a large room with music playing. It was all very Christmassy and fun, we felt appreciated. The following Christmas 1974 I was in a telephone exchange in a provincial town, where we were allowed a glass of sherry and a mince pie in the supervisor's office during a 15 min afternoon break and no music. What a difference! It made me feel nostalgic for London.

I just recently asked my son if he remembered the staff parties he got to go to at BT. His dad did not worked in the exchange but was in charge of it so our children got to go to the party. Great party with a gift from Santa.
I worked in the staff branch for telephone exchanges in London and could not believe the difference in culture. In the bank you worked until everything was balanced and done . In BT at 4.30 ladies started to wind down their work and go and put their makeup on for going home . I waited until my DH had finished in the same building and was often the only person left in our office .

Harris27 Sun 11-Dec-22 21:56:50

Still working and do enjoy a nice Christmas night out. Bit more subdued since covid we usually just go out for a meal and a few drinks.

GagaJo Sun 11-Dec-22 22:08:27

I've worked in a few schools so been to a few types of xmas events. To be honest, most were boring, other than my 2nd school, where I had some really naughty friends (as in x rated, rather than oooo missus). The stuff that went on between a bunch of teachers beggered belief. Married, single, gay, straight. Some were discreet and just sneaked off in pairs, but some were flagrant.

I miss that school and those people. Never a dull moment.

BigBertha1 Sun 11-Dec-22 22:29:18

I was a nurse so no perks at Christmas or any other time. My daughter works for a big legal firm. £350 Christmas bonus and a lavish party in a posh hotel.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 11-Dec-22 22:52:59

I was a management trainee with John Lewis when I first left school. There was a massive and free Christmas do every year. Also departmental dos - all free. My last job was at an Oxford College (as were the two previous jobs) and there were any number of free parties. Christmas, Leavers, Founders, Garden Party… All free.

biglouis Sun 11-Dec-22 23:01:58

My first christmas outing (not) was when I was in the civil service early 1960s). My first job aged only 16. All the office staff went out for a drink to the pub but refused to allow 3 of us to come as we were all under 18. We stayed in the staff room and bought some festive food between us and I (looking older) was sent to the off lisence for some wine. So our miserable co-workers came back full of booze and found us quite merry as well.

Norah Tue 13-Dec-22 23:14:30

My husband has dinner out for his workers. I have attended sporadically through the years. Lovely Pub, depends on my allergy levels at the day.

Anyone may choose a same value voucher, if they prefer.

This year, food prices have led to more vouchers.