Gransnet forums

Christmas

Any carolers at your house?

(9 Posts)
grNadpa Tue 20-Dec-22 18:00:26

Quite surprised last week when there was insistent knocking and doorbell ringing at our Chicago suburban front door. Opening the door, I was greeted by a gaggle of (I'm guessing) Middle-School-Aged girls who asked permission to sing carols to me. They sang off-key, mangled the lyrics and absolutely provided among the most heart-warming experiences I can recall.

LondonMzFitz Tue 20-Dec-22 18:03:23

Proper jealous! You lucky thing.

Yammy Tue 20-Dec-22 18:03:26

Only had them once in ten years. They were mums making money for a playground and were lovely. I think if they had returned every year they would still have collected quite a bit of money for maybe the local PTA.

MiniMoon Tue 20-Dec-22 20:29:42

My house is rather hidden behind another property and a tall hedge. In the 20+ years we've lived here, only once have carol singers found us.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Dec-22 20:35:29

No haven’t had anyone for years now

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Dec-22 20:42:13

No, but I wish we did.

AreWeThereYet Tue 20-Dec-22 20:43:53

Haven't had carollers for quite a few years now. The last lot were three rather drunk teenage boys. They sang about 2 lines of a carol then stopped when I answered the door and put a hand out for money. I asked them if they knew the rest of the verse and asked them to sing it for me. The noise was atrocious but I gave them a couple of pound coins and they wandered off (probably to the off licence 😁). I was in stitches after they left.

grNadpa Tue 20-Dec-22 21:27:27

grin

Esmay Wed 21-Dec-22 01:20:59

That would be the sweet sound of Christmas .
I can't remember the last time that we had carol singers .

I looked at my trees and shrubs , which are festooned in baubles and tinsel today and at the pretty array , which my neighbours are displaying , but I do feel that the true meaning of Christmas has somehow been eclipsed by reindeer and Santas .