Gransnet forums

Christmas

Children meeting Father Christmas, 1955

(23 Posts)
volver Fri 23-Dec-22 19:54:02

This may be the best thing you see today. 🎅🏼 💝

www.bbc.co.uk/archive/christmas_children_meeting_santa/zfrj8xs

grannydarkhair Fri 23-Dec-22 20:04:43

Lovely. The most well spoken Santa ever 😁 I obviously only met his Scottish stand-ins when I was wee. And I really can’t remember what I ever wished for, but fair chance it would be a dog, finally got one when I was 11, but for my birthday not my Christmas.

volver Fri 23-Dec-22 20:09:56

The little boy who wants a pencil sharpener, bless him. 🥲

grannydarkhair Fri 23-Dec-22 20:24:40

The 1962 clip is just as good, although Santa isn’t nearly as posh. And pencil sharpener boy did want a bike as well. Changed days indeed when you think what children would ask for now.

Forsythia Fri 23-Dec-22 20:28:14

It’s very sweet. A reminder of a more innocent time. When a pencil sharpener was something we might have all wanted.

My little grandson is going to meet Santa for the first time tomorrow at a local store. I hope he enjoys it.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 23-Dec-22 20:53:04

What a posh-sounding Santa grin

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Dec-22 20:58:24

Just wonderful, volver, thank you.
Wasn't Gwen great!

I remember those wool coats with velvet collars; I have a photo of me sitting on Father Christmas's knee wearing a coat like that, looking very nervous.

SueDonim Fri 23-Dec-22 21:01:44

A gun! 😂 There are some splendid hats on display, too.

ginny Fri 23-Dec-22 22:22:36

I remember seeing Father Christmas in a store in the 50s.
We got on a train which travelled through the snowy countryside and arrived at Santas Grotto ( at least that’s what we thought)where we chatted with him and were given a gift. Innocent times indeed although my 6 year old Grandson simply wrote on his letter to Santa, that he would like 3 toys please.

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Dec-22 22:24:03

Are any of those children on GN, I wonder?

BigBertha1 Fri 23-Dec-22 22:29:14

Charming. We were taken to see Father Christmas in one of the big London Stores must have been about 1957. Just like that as I recall

DaisyAlice Fri 23-Dec-22 22:48:55

My 4 year old Grandson asked Father Christmas for a machine that turns old mouldy oranges into juicy new ones. I'm not sure that the Elves have made any of those machines this year!

LauraNorderr Sat 24-Dec-22 00:59:15

Callistemon21

Are any of those children on GN, I wonder?

I wondered that too Callistemon, wouldn’t that be fun.
Good thread Volver, nice bit of Christmas nostalgia.

NotSpaghetti Sat 24-Dec-22 02:00:19

One of my grandsons when asked yesterday what he was hoping for said he "really hoped" he might get some pop its. They are really last-years fad I think. Like a silicone/rubbery version of bubble -wrap.

A mid-sized popping thing cost me £3. I hope he's delighted! Not his only treat from us but SO nice to have presumably got this one right! 😀

Calendargirl Sat 24-Dec-22 07:24:42

How dressed up the children looked, all in their Sunday best to see Santa.

And nice warm coats and hats, nowadays they would be in their shorts and summer dresses if that’s what they fancied wearing that day, despite it being December.

Beechnut Sat 24-Dec-22 09:54:04

Callistemon21

Wasn't Gwen great!

I remember those wool coats with velvet collars; I have a photo of me sitting on Father Christmas's knee wearing a coat like that, looking very nervous.

Me too Callistemon. I think mine was taken in Woolworths.

Shinamae Sat 24-Dec-22 10:16:40

Such innocence, wonderful. 🤗Thank you Volver…

Callistemon21 Sat 24-Dec-22 10:20:11

Beechnut

Callistemon21

Wasn't Gwen great!

Me too Callistemon. I think mine was taken in Woolworths.

Mine was taken in Beatties in Birmingham, I think Beechnut

I don't look ecstatic to meet him 🎅

volver Sat 24-Dec-22 10:30:43

I'm glad so many people have enjoyed it. 🙂

Callistemon21 Sat 24-Dec-22 10:33:26

I want to know if Gwen became an artist 🙂

Calendargirl Sat 24-Dec-22 10:36:42

Can anyone else remember what they were given by Santa in the store?

I saw Santa in our local Curry’s, late 50’s/early 60’s, and was given (well, the entrance fee was probably about 2 shillings), a hexagonal shaped sewing box, pink, made of a plastic wicker effect, with a blue padded inside lid. My sister’s was green instead of pink. Quite good quality.

I’m afraid it never inspired me to sew. I kept it for about the next 60 years, then finally took it to a car boot sale, think it went for about £1.

🧵🪡

volver Sat 24-Dec-22 10:37:16

I want to know if the little girl in the 1962 one became a train driver! 🚂 👧🏼

Kate1949 Sat 24-Dec-22 18:24:53

How cute 🥰