Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Flu

(18 Posts)
AuntieChristmas Fri 23-Dec-22 20:22:38

Hi,
Ok so first of all I have to admit, I'm not a grandmother. BUT, I am the daughter of one, and I am an auntie to several nephews and nieces. Anyway, hear me out ...
My poor mum who is in her mid-sixties, tirelessly prepares Christmas for her grown up children (all over 30 / majority in their early forties) and their multiple grandchildren every single year.
Without fail herself and my father pull out all the stops and greet everyone with open arms, the fridge full to the brim with food, the tree propped up with presents and the house practically aflame with Christmas lights.
So it's safe to say they make a huge effort.
This year however, all families are seriously ill with the flu. So you would assume that, whilst it's very unfortunate, everyone would just throw their hands up and say "Ah well, these things happen and we don't want to make Granny and Grandpa ill" right?
Wrong.
I literally have never known such selfishness.
One sister was wailing down the phone to my mum practically insisting that they came and my mum feeling so guilty ended up saying ok (despite having a compromised immune system!)
She then thought about it and said that she'd rather they all came when they were better on Boxing day or perhaps New Years instead and all hell broke loose!
I mean, is it unreasonable to shield yourself from a potentially life threatening illness? Christmas is lovely and everything but, it's surely not worth making your parents ill for, is it?

Redrobin51 Fri 23-Dec-22 20:44:12

On the front page of The Times newspaper was a large article entitled "Got a cough or cold? Stay away from the grandparents ". Supposedly hospital admissions are at a 5 year high. Families who would have them. I ant understand anyone wanting to celebrate when I'll with th4 flu as normally all you want to do is crawl under the covers and stay there. I do hope they see sense. X

SueDonim Fri 23-Dec-22 20:51:09

If they’ve truly got flu they wouldn’t be wanting to leave their own homes. Though even if they do only have colds, your parents should be given the option to say ‘Err, no thanks, we don’t want your germs. We’ll see you at New Year instead.’

discoqueen Fri 23-Dec-22 21:09:49

Whatever is going around atm is awful. Not well myself and know so many people who are ill.

lixy Fri 23-Dec-22 21:44:36

It is not alright to knowingly spread germs around to anyone, especially not people you love for goodness sake. In your mum's shoes I'd be saying 'sorry, no can do' and locking the door until people are properly better.

rosie1959 Fri 23-Dec-22 22:27:26

Many in our family have had various infections from Scarlet fever Pneumonia to sore throats and colds. I as granny have been running about looking after them all in various stages of their illnesses. Older I may be but fit as the proverbial butchers dog in direct contrast to the youngsters ailments. Must have built up a lot of immunity along the way.

AuntieChristmas Fri 23-Dec-22 23:09:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Joseanne Fri 23-Dec-22 23:27:10

AuntieChristmas*, well you did ask for readers' opinions in your final paragraph, and I'm guessing rosie1959 was just saying how it is in her neck of the woods. Maybe you only wanted to hear posts from those who agree with you, but telling someone to "buzz off" is a bit unfriendly.
I'd watch out, as Rosie1959 might well be a rottweiler Metzgerhund!

Hithere Sat 24-Dec-22 00:11:24

People hear Xmas and all common sense rules no longer apply

Thank you for using your 🧠 and protecting your parents

ElaineI Sat 24-Dec-22 00:22:06

rosie1959

Many in our family have had various infections from Scarlet fever Pneumonia to sore throats and colds. I as granny have been running about looking after them all in various stages of their illnesses. Older I may be but fit as the proverbial butchers dog in direct contrast to the youngsters ailments. Must have built up a lot of immunity along the way.

Same rosie1959. AC - very rude!

BlueBelle Sat 24-Dec-22 05:28:43

Lovely, thank you for sharing. Here’s your trophy now buzz off

What a rude person to say this to people bothering to answer your query
Because of that I think it’s best you sort your own problems out and you owe Rosie an apology

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Dec-22 06:56:37

AuntieChristmas

Lovely. Thank you for sharing. Here's your trophy now, kindly, buzz off.

What on earth is your problem ?
I got the impression that everyone was agreeing with you in that your parents shouldn’t be hosting Christmas confused
Am I missing something?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 24-Dec-22 07:24:50

AuntieChristmas

Lovely. Thank you for sharing. Here's your trophy now, kindly, buzz off.

And the spirit of Christmas lives on.

Joseanne Sat 24-Dec-22 07:33:45

I'm guessing, from the name, that AuntieChristmas is an infrequent once a year visitor to GN.
Anyway here's a picture with which I felt I ought to explain the dog breed reference.

rosie1959 Sat 24-Dec-22 07:46:27

Joseanne

I'm guessing, from the name, that AuntieChristmas is an infrequent once a year visitor to GN.
Anyway here's a picture with which I felt I ought to explain the dog breed reference.

About sums it up Joseanne it was also quite an amusement to me my DD has a 8st rottie who I walk when they are at work. The breed does not live up to its reputation he is as daft and soft and loves a cuddle and loves children.
I am obviously not in the same position as the OPs mum I do not have a compromised immune system but as parents and grandparents we tend to go up and beyond for our offspring. But also it is up to us to say no.

AGAA4 Sat 24-Dec-22 08:12:10

My friend had a rottie. She said the only danger you are in from him is being loved to death.

lixy Sat 24-Dec-22 08:28:07

rosie1959

rosie and elaine1, that's kind of you and totally your choice.

The OP was in a position of poorly people visiting vulnerable ones just for a tradition and some fun which is a bit different.

AC, sorry, but no need to be rude.

Joseanne; lovely picture, and quite a different perspective on the breed.

Witzend Sun 25-Dec-22 15:20:02

If they really had the flu they’d just want to stay in bed and dose themselves with paracetamol and hot Ribena. (I’d want the latter anyway).