Gransnet forums

Christmas

Stollen and Port. Recipe ideas

(8 Posts)
kissngate Sat 24-Dec-22 11:13:50

I'm hoping GNs can help me. I bought a block of Stollen from Aldi and was gifted a bottle of Port. Firstly I don't like Port so any ideas what I can do besides regifting to someone else. Secondly I love Stollen however I would like recipe suggestions rather than sitting here making a pig of myself 🐷 and devouring the lot (other half not keen).

ParlorGames Sat 24-Dec-22 11:19:08

Leave the port until the summer weather then use it as a base for sangria with some fizz and lots of fresh citrus fruit; you can use lemonade instead of alcohol though.
As for the stollen, portion it and pop it in the freezer, that will take the temptation away from you having to pig out on it.
Either way, enjoy and have a lovely Christmas

Beechnut Sat 24-Dec-22 14:04:04

I’ve never seen this anywhere but I’m wondering what a stollen trifle would be like. Alcohol being ammeretto. Mmmm might investigate and think about this for next year.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 24-Dec-22 17:32:08

I saw a recipe somewhere online (sorry can’t remember where) for bread and butter pudding using stollen instead of bread. You could always portion it up and freeze.
The trifle idea sounds good Beechnut I might have to try that one.

Witzend Sat 24-Dec-22 18:30:33

I’d imagine Stollen bread and butter pudding would be really good. We’ve been given Stollen more than once by a German neighbour whose dog we look after now and then. It’s nice enough but I’ve always found it somewhat dry.

JackyB Sun 25-Dec-22 07:59:20

Port can go in a casserole or stew with any red meat, especially game (venison!).

I'd use the stollen for trifle, too. Or even a high end bread and butter pudding? Or just toasted and buttered for breakfast. Haven't tried this, but toast it, blitz it and use it in a crumble? Fry little cubes in butter to sprinkle over ice cream? Make French toast with it?

BigBertha1 Sun 25-Dec-22 08:09:32

I love port but it gives me a mega headache so in the gravy it goes...I only by a cheap one as it's lovely to poach pears in and add to beef casseroles. Portion up the stollen and freeze it.

kissngate Sun 25-Dec-22 10:53:43

Thank you all for your suggestions. Making Sangria in the summer and adding to stews now sounds perfect. Unfortunately the Stollen says not suitable for freezing but as we both love bread and butter pudding and trifle it will be used up that way. Merry Xmas 🎁🍷🎉