Gransnet forums

Christmas

Home alone at Xmas

(22 Posts)
Ali23 Sat 24-Dec-22 18:25:54

Following on from another chat.
M wrote
“I’m sure I can’t be the only person on their own for the festive period so has anyone got any tips for dealing with it?
Meanwhile, Happy Christmas! “
So many of us will be having a quiet day, planned or unplanned.

I thought this would be a good excuse to say what we’re doing/ watching over the next few days.

Ali23 Sat 24-Dec-22 18:27:58

We’ve just watched a programme about making the film The Boy The Mole The Fox and the Horse. Then we watched the fim.
Wonderful! It’ll be a classic!

Grannyben Sat 24-Dec-22 19:22:43

I'm going to spend the day with my daughter and my two grandsons. My mum will be with us as well. Its always a lovely day ploughing through the wrapping paper and sweets that have been trodden into her carpet lol.
I have once spent Christmas on my own. Absolutely dreaded it but ended up having a lovely peaceful day.
A very happy Christmas to everyone

Ashcombe Sat 24-Dec-22 19:39:04

Following heart surgery to repair my mitral valve, I'm with DH, olddudders, in Torbay this year (his home is in France) but, two years ago, neither of us could travel due to Covid restrictions. My family lives afar so I spent the day alone but wasn't lonely. After being the accompanist for an early service at church, I came home and enjoyed good food and fizz, watching my choice of TV, interspersed with a few Zoom calls.

It must be hard for those facing their first Christmas since being widowed, whether alone or in company; my heart goes out to them.

Anniebach Sat 24-Dec-22 19:41:12

I will be home alone, my younger daughter will FaceTime and my three grandchildren will FaceTime me. A nurse will call to
give medication.

My family would be with me if they could but not possible, have spent the last four years the same, it will pass and couldn’t ever be compared with so many,many happy times.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 24-Dec-22 19:59:22

We were planning a quiet day on our own, the first since my daughter died, and I have felt a bit tearful. But the people next door buy one from Hong Kong are now coming to us for Christmas dinner, I invited them on the spur of the moment on Thursday evening. So spent most of Friday topping up my shopping.

grandMattie Sat 24-Dec-22 20:24:53

Thank you, Ash.
I was widowed 5 months ago. I can generally manage, but I get rather cross with the endless “it must be hard/difficult”. Hmmm… as if I needed constant reminding!
What gets me are the sweet messages, the unexpected hugs from my DGD, the sudden offers of help, etc.
I shall hold my head high and remember DH, who would have hated me to be sad.
Courage Mattie!

Grammaretto Sat 24-Dec-22 20:39:58

I so agree gMattie!
I hope I wasn't so crass and insensitive to others before I was widowed.

I shall be alone as usual for most of the time but I am cooking a meal for lunch tomorrow for my in-laws.
2 are carnivorous, 2 are vegan and I am vegetarian so it is stretching my skills.
Luckily they will all drink the wine and I have some non alcoholic beer for the driver.
I don't mind my own company but like Anniebach have many memories of wonderful Christmasas past

YorkLady Sat 24-Dec-22 22:17:55

If anyone is lonely and you are on/can join Twitter, Sarah Millican runs a chat session on line. It’s called #JoinIn.
It’s worldwide and open to anyone who feels alone. Fancy a quick chat….just give it a go.

BigBertha1 Sat 24-Dec-22 22:24:24

Just us two tomorrow which I know is better than being alone although since DH went totally deaf and now has cold/flu there won't be much conversation but I suppose it's still more than some people have. I'm sorry if you are alone and lonely. I will be on here if anyone would like to chat during the day.

MerylStreep Sat 24-Dec-22 22:41:18

I’m a big Marion Keyes fan.
I love her take on Xmas day on your own.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ghn3

karmalady Sun 25-Dec-22 06:40:07

I am going to have the day with family today, my choice to come home afterwards, to my own bed. Then I will be alone but not lonely, all week. I relish this quiet hibernation time in mid winter.

Being suddenly widowed was not of my choosing but adapting was my choice. I was never alone, the whole of my life, until I was widowed and it was either adapt or not, so I did adapt and being alone is now something to be cherished in its own special way

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Dec-22 07:36:27

Meryl I love Marion too. I wish I knew her, she’s so lovely and I love her voice too (and her hair)

It’s just me, MrC, the dog and the cat. This is usual and how we like it.
‘Beef’ wellington, roasties, yorkshires, parsnips and sprout gratin for lunch around 4.
Lots of wine.
Play cards and scrabble.
Phone my dad and his wife (they live separately). I usually see them a couple of days after Christmas Day but they are both ill with whatever everyone is coming down with.
We’ll be watching The Secret Life of Pets 2 and the last few episodes of Dickensian. Maybe Knives Out.

Happy Christmas to everyone, whatever you are doing xx

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Dec-22 07:37:24

Thinking especially of you who have been widowed. My heart goes out to you thanks

lixy Sun 25-Dec-22 08:03:34

I am here with my Mum who has been poorly but is very gradually getting stronger.
OH is at our home 150 miles away - he was planning to come for Christmas Day but has a cold so is keeping his germs to himself. First Christmas apart for 40 years, so very odd!
Family Zoom planned for later today, so really hoping Mum is up to it.
We'll probably tune in to see the King.

I hope everyone is content with their different days.

henetha Sun 25-Dec-22 09:45:57

It looks like I might spend the day alone. I'm delivering gifts to my son and partner who are both really poorly with colds and chest infections. So I might not cross the threshold!
Best wishes to all of you who are alone.

Baggs Sun 25-Dec-22 10:34:24

MerylStreep

I’m a big Marion Keyes fan.
I love her take on Xmas day on your own.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ghn3

Thank you for that link, MS. I've already had several weeps because of my daughter's terminal brain tumour. Those 24 minutes really helped.

Caleo Sun 25-Dec-22 10:39:46

Ali, The Boy The Mole The Fox and the Horse used to be on a feed I got in Facebook, and I loved it. Then I bought the book as a present for one of my sons.

I missed the programme on television and hope it will be on i player. I may visit Amazon and buy the book for myself.

Caleo Sun 25-Dec-22 10:41:09

Baggs, thinking of you. I had a good friend with one of those.

Sparklefizz Sun 25-Dec-22 10:41:23

Best wishes to everyone who's alone today. I'm here alone at the moment but will be lucky enough to go to my son's for lunch, then home again late afternoon, and alone for the rest of the week.

I've got used to it, and don't mind as long as I don't have a 14 hour powercut like I had on Thursday!! shock I've got my laptop and phone, my TV and plenty of books to read... plus most importantly my lovely cat for company.

Grantanow Sun 25-Dec-22 13:14:40

Very wisely and well said karmalady!

sodapop Sun 25-Dec-22 13:27:17

Thinking of you Baggs I wish you the strength and courage to see you and your family through this.thanks