Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Day Sea Swim! 🥶🥶

(7 Posts)
Witzend Sun 25-Dec-22 18:16:00

Dd1, SiL and Gdd1 (7) were bonkers enough to do this today - near to where they’re staying with dd’s ILs. Masses of people on the beach and quite a lot braving the water.
I suppose that at least it gives them a very healthy appetite for their Christmas dinner!

Mollygo Sun 25-Dec-22 18:32:47

I’m full of admiration! The heating’s been off at the gym recently and I didn’t even dare go in the pool, never mind brave the outdoors.

rubysong Sun 25-Dec-22 19:11:17

A dozen or so went in the river near us this morning. There were videos on fb. I admire them but wouldn't do it unless I had been going in all year. They didn't stay in very long and there was a bottle of something strong going round when they came out.

vegansrock Sun 25-Dec-22 19:37:28

I did 2 lengths in my local open air lido this morning. There was a great atmosphere and the water was a bracing 8 degrees.

nanna8 Mon 26-Dec-22 01:34:29

Still checking our pool, 26C now, only 2 degrees to go and I’ll go in- first time this Summer. I’d rather die than get chilly, darlings 💕

lixy Mon 26-Dec-22 03:36:23

Didn't see any people in the sea here on the S coast, but several dogs took the plunge.

BlueBelle Mon 26-Dec-22 06:50:51

I too did the Christmas Day swim and (the day before Christmas Day) There were hundreds taking part and hundreds more watching, in fact I d think probably a thousand on the prom watching It’s an annual here I will do New Year’s Day swim too
Everyone goes in in fancy dress and it’s great fun It’s a charity event and the money goes to a local hospital There was a group of about 30 went in further along the beach to raise money for their own cause and some others went in at a different time
The water is around 5* now and feel like a bucket of ice You should only stay in a minute per degree so 5 mins for us The coldest it ever gets is 4* usually January/February
It’s the second year I ve been in all round the year I used to finish about October