Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Covid dilemma

(15 Posts)
jabbott Wed 28-Dec-22 19:02:08

My youngest son came home for Christmas last Friday. Christmas morning he wake’s feeling poorly takes a Covid test which comes back positive. We were all due at my eldest son’s for lunch. I called & explained & he was adamant he didn’t want his brother going, I said I wasn’t happy leaving him home alone on Christmas Day so took decision not to go. Seconds later DIL is on phone to me ranting & raging, she’s prepared all the food, he’s not a baby, I treat him like a baby, I’m selfish. Felt torn & in the end relented & went for lunch leaving him for 5 hours & him having to cook his own lunch. Still feeling guilty. Did I do right thing?

HowVeryDareYou Wed 28-Dec-22 19:07:48

How old is your youngest son? Surely he could have made himself a snack? Perhaps he hasn't got much of an appetite anyway?

MiniMoon Wed 28-Dec-22 19:39:32

I think your DiL might have offered to plate up a meal for her poorly BiL. How very uncaring.

rosie1959 Wed 28-Dec-22 19:41:22

Depends on how old your youngest son is I am presuming as your post said he came home for Christmas he is not a young child. In which case he would be absolutely fine looking after himself for a few hours.

Poppyred Wed 28-Dec-22 19:47:05

Your DIL should have plated up a meal for him!

MawtheMerrier Wed 28-Dec-22 20:14:53

I don’t understand the use of the word dilemma in this context.
He tested positive so had to stay at home. Sytraightforward enough.
As he was well enough to travel home, and COVID is hardly serious these days, there was no need for anybody to stay home with him . Not as you were only going for lunch not the whole weekend!
Playing up a meal ? Really?

MawtheMerrier Wed 28-Dec-22 20:15:50

Plating
No wonder some husbands are (play at being) helpless if they are fussed over like this!

ginny Wed 28-Dec-22 20:19:14

In these circumstances I would have gone for lunch.
I think it would have been nice to take him a plated meal home if he felt up to eating it.

GagaJo Wed 28-Dec-22 20:55:25

There would have been no dilemma for me. I'd been in contact with someone who had covid. I wouldn't have gone to someone else's house in case I was carrying it there with me.

You DiL should have sent over plated meals for you and been pleased you were staying away! In her shoes, I would have been.

Grannybags Wed 28-Dec-22 21:03:55

If I had been your dil I wouldn't have wanted any of you over for lunch!

As Gagajo said you had been in contact with Covid

LOUISA1523 Wed 28-Dec-22 21:06:37

If your son is 12 then you should have stayed with him ...if he's 22 then absolutely he can look out for for himsrlf

Callistemon21 Wed 28-Dec-22 21:21:19

All I wanted when I had Covid was water.
And paracetamol.
And a warm bed.

notgran Wed 28-Dec-22 21:26:25

Yes, I'm a bit confused by this. In DiL's place I would have said "Don't either of you come here, we don't want COVID." Christmas Day or not!

Callistemon21 Wed 28-Dec-22 21:29:32

I would too, probably!

Although DH's consultant said today they are far more concerned about flu than Covid now.

SueDonim Wed 28-Dec-22 22:38:34

I think it right that the youngest son stayed away from the group meal. Assuming he’s an adult, he’d be fine for a few hours on his own - he’d probably sleep anyway.

I am baffled as to why the DIL should have provided a lunch for him. confused Jabbot could have left a light lunch for him or his brother could have sent a meal for him or Jabbot could have asked to take some home for him.