Gransnet forums

Christmas

Mixed nuts

(20 Posts)
Yammy Sun 01-Jan-23 14:21:14

Callistemon21

I have a nutcracker which can deal with almonds and other tough nuts!

It looks rather similar to this one:

We have one like that dd brought it from Berlin. It seems to work with most nuts though not tried it on DH yet Sago, I might be threatening by the end of the festive season.
I once saw a student boyfriend off by telling fibs and saying my father was a farmer and I had an industrial pair.grin

Callistemon21 Sun 01-Jan-23 13:47:55

Margs

Wow Callistemon21 - that's a nutcracker that looks like it can really do the business. Very impressive - where did you get it from please?

If you're still on here Margs, then I think I bought mine which is very similar to that in TKMaxx years ago but that picture was from Amazon, other retailers are available.

Oreo Sun 01-Jan-23 12:20:39

I buy shelled nuts, makes life easy.I love them all and eat handfuls of Brazils if not physically stopped.blush

SueDonim Sun 01-Jan-23 12:01:38

Mixed nuts as a wedding present! 🤣🤣🤣

NotSpaghetti Sun 01-Jan-23 01:00:41

Ha ha Sue

We bought a second one for my grandson in the end. It's really such a lovely shape and so sturdy and well made and he loves it.
There are cheap copies on the market though which are apparently not up to much.

I'm going to buy another as a wedding gift for a friend of my daughter's who I like but isn't exactly "close". She thinks it's a funny gift - but obviously I'll buy a bag of mixed nuts too! 🤣

SueDonim Sat 31-Dec-22 22:15:13

Or NotSpaghetti even!

SueDonim Sat 31-Dec-22 22:14:37

That looks like a murder weapon from an Agatha Christie novel, Spaghetti! grin

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Dec-22 09:31:24

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWaRPFIug3hbO2xfZ7yCel2PDeKsxTBFP

Here it is.

NotSpaghetti Sat 31-Dec-22 09:27:04

I like the Drosselmeyer one.
My 7 year old grandson can use it.

GagaJo Sat 31-Dec-22 09:22:36

I love all of those things. Nuts (cracking the shells slowed down my eating!), dates, Advocaat. I also like egg nog. Mmmm.

Margs Sat 31-Dec-22 07:50:03

Oh those damn boxes of dates! Yes, it must have been quite some time since they came off the tree.

And another forgettable Xmas tradition (in our house) was a bottle of Advocaat. Dreadfull stuff we only encountered at yuletide - and that was far too much.

Wyllow3 Sat 31-Dec-22 06:35:15

Not had nuts in shells for as long as I can recall. My Dad used his excellent teeth on many, but I bet he never tried almonds. I recall more, those oval packets of dates which were all dried out.

Margs Sat 31-Dec-22 06:21:03

Wow Callistemon21 - that's a nutcracker that looks like it can really do the business. Very impressive - where did you get it from please?

Sago Fri 30-Dec-22 21:58:13

Callistemon21

I think that would also put my husband in his place if necessary!

MissAdventure Fri 30-Dec-22 21:46:48

Mole grips?
They are my "go-to" tool for a lot of jobs that I should never have started, namely because I don't know what I'm doing

rubysong Fri 30-Dec-22 21:21:04

Thank you. That's the nutcracker we have but we can't squeeze hard enough for the almonds.

SueDonim Fri 30-Dec-22 21:07:02

I’ve a nutcracker similar to the one in Callistemon’s photo. It’s excellent, never fails.

Elegran Fri 30-Dec-22 21:04:50

They are so smoothly oval that it is difficult to get enough purchase on them to crack through the shell. Putting them sideways (edgeways on) into the nutcrackers might help.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Dec-22 21:01:08

rubysong Fri 30-Dec-22 20:56:43

A bag of mixed nuts from Tesco contained Brazil nuts 23g (3 of them), hazelnuts 149g, walnuts 49g (4 of them), almonds 138g. I threw away one walnut as it was bad. There is no way of getting into the almonds. We have a good nut cracker but it won't crack the almonds, neither will taking them into the workshop and hitting them with a hammer. I used to buy separate bags of Brazils, walnuts and hazelnuts but it took forever to finish them. I shan't be buying mixed nuts again. Any ideas about the almonds?