Gransnet forums

Christmas

First Footing

(6 Posts)
Yammy Sat 31-Dec-22 18:49:38

Is anyone "First Footing", in the old way tonight? If you are not how was it done when you were younger?
We went around houses and had a drink and a mince pie, then the house was locked and everyone moved on to the next house. At the final house a party. I know the grans north of the border did it differently.
I'm glad I'm staying warm and dry and will be watching everything on TV.
Did you have any traditions you still keep up?
A dark man the first through the door at 12 a.m. with a piece of coal and all the ships and the mines sounded their hooters was ours.
Happy New year to any Aussie grans who will already have celebrated.wine

Glorianny Sat 31-Dec-22 19:02:52

Happy New Year. First footer had to be a man, preferably tall and dark haired. Brought coal , bread and salt into the house and was given a glass of whisky. When I was young my dad was chucked out at 11.55 and allowed back in at 12.01. My sons first footed for my mum when she lived near us, she didn't like me going in before them.
New Years Day was a Bank Holiday in Scotland but not in England until 1974, but Newcastle behaved like the Scots and everything stayed closed

lixy Sat 31-Dec-22 19:07:21

We open the back door to let the old year out before opening the front door to let the new year in - as well as any first footers who may be waiting on the doorstep!

boheminan Sat 31-Dec-22 19:33:25

I lived in London as a child, and the ritual was the same as lixy - mum would open the back door to let the old year out before opening the front door to let the new year in. I'll be doing the same tonight, as I've done for the last 50 years...

SueDonim Sat 31-Dec-22 21:20:49

The only place we’ve lived where people first-footed was in Caithness.

I don’t like NY anyway, it’s such a non-event to me.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 07-Jan-23 13:49:48

lixy

We open the back door to let the old year out before opening the front door to let the new year in - as well as any first footers who may be waiting on the doorstep!

We did this too in the Glasgow area - the house had to be properly cleaned during the day and the sitting-room fire allowed to go out around 11 p.m, so the ashes could be taken out to the ash-pit, a new fire laid and lighted and the hearth swept and washed before the New Year, when everyone was bathed and in the best clothes.

At midnight we stood at the front door to welcome in the New Year, and hear the ships' and factory hooters. Then we closed the door, went into the sitting-room formed a ring and sang "Auld lang syne" wished each other a Good New Year then welcomed the first footers - usually the neighbour from across the street was the first.