Gransnet forums

Christmas

Ahead or behind?

(54 Posts)
fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 12:11:35

I know there are some who dont start on anything to do with Christmas, until 1 December.
Or later.

For those of us who start a lot earlier, are you ahead or behind?

I am ahead. Partly to do with circumstances.
When I go out, there seem to be more people than usual, both on the roads, and shopping.

Is that just around here? Spreading cost of living? Weather is still good? People go out for coffee more, and then browse?
Or starting getting ready for Christmas earlier?

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 15:25:13

Life has been too unpredictable in the past couple of years, and not in a nice way, so have stopped planning ahead with very much at all. Christmas will happen but am not even giving it headspace at the moment.

MawsRosie Sat 03-Oct-26 15:22:06

fancythat

^Who says you ‘just have to get on with things’? Do exactly what you want, and never mind what other people think you should be doing^

Agreed.

Eggzackly - who needs pressure?
That said I have been buying a book of 8x2nd class stamps with my shopping each week 😇😇😇

winterwhite Sat 03-Oct-26 15:21:48

Like Gingster, I love Christmas but don’t allow myself to start doing anything about it till after Bonfire night. And in the days when I made my own cake and puddings, mine were always as good as anyone else’s.😂

sharon103 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:38:02

ginny

Not even thinking about it.

Neither am I.

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 14:37:02

It spreads the cost and stops the need for a 'big shop' in December. The trouble is, I get too pleased with myself when I have a reassuring pile of gifts, so still end up rushing nearer the time.

I am a bit like that myself.
Getting better. Hopefully.
I find I have neglected other things along the way. Which need doing too.

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 14:35:37

Who says you ‘just have to get on with things’? Do exactly what you want, and never mind what other people think you should be doing

Agreed.

Doodledog Sat 03-Oct-26 14:35:02

I'm ahead, as I always start bits of shopping in September. It's a throwback to when that was when I went back to work, and would start getting stocking fillers and gifts for the children that I could sneak into the house without their seeing.

It spreads the cost and stops the need for a 'big shop' in December. The trouble is, I get too pleased with myself when I have a reassuring pile of gifts, so still end up rushing nearer the time.

Daddima Sat 03-Oct-26 14:23:13

FriedGreenTomatoes2

I’m not a fan. And it’s not going to be the same without Himself here. He loved it. 💙

Last Christmas was so sad we all knew it’d be our last one so younger daughter and son in law hosted a dozen of us. Just because.

I can’t face it this year neither can our daughter so we’ve decided champagne at hers mid afternoon then a curry (which we will book). Our Yorkshire Lass and her husband have spent the last 3 Christmases en famille, again, just because - so I expect this year they’ll either stay home over the Pennines or visit t’other family in Oxford.

I’m not even sure what to do about writing Christmas cards with my name only in them, a much loved twig tree we’ve had for 20+ years will make my cry assembling it on my own so I may not bother. Why press the emotional bruise? I may go to the Trafford Centre and buy a small decorated table top one from John Lewis.

Apologies for bringing the thread down. I realise I just have to get on with things, not overthink and do as much ‘differently’ as I can now. It will never be the same without my Mr Jovial by my side 🎅🏻

Thoughts with others in the same boat as me this year. xx

Who says you ‘just have to get on with things’? Do exactly what you want, and never mind what other people think you should be doing.
Make the time as easy for yourself as you can, you may be surprised at how much you enjoy.

Daddima Sat 03-Oct-26 14:15:18

I am ahead. Flights and hotel booked, ‘wee mindings’ for granddaughters bought, as well as the festive envelopes for their dosh, so just grandsons’ mindings to be bought.

AmberGran Sat 03-Oct-26 14:14:07

We're the 'week before Christmas' variety.

Some presents are bought during the year if I see anything that immediately makes me think of someone. No one abroad this year, thankfully, or that would be another thing done early.

No visitors this year, no puds being made and cake left from last year that just needs icing and a few more feeds.

Other than cards we'll carry on ignoring it until the weekend before Christmas.

Shel1951 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:07:34

Hasn't crossed my mind yet, the tree goes up 1st December for the grandkids,
Then I don't bother till about a week before,all my kids will have their dinner at home with their kids and grandkids, they will visit over the Christmas period ,no pressure on them,usually end up arranging our visitation between themselves, they normally arrange a friendly monopoly and end up fighting it out noisily in the dining room while we watch TV.its fun really not having to host anymore, if any want to come on Christmas day tell me a week before and help with the dinner, that's it,

Desdemona Sat 03-Oct-26 14:05:42

I loathe Christmas, and dislike this kind of thread.

Yet here I am. My fault.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 03-Oct-26 13:51:37

I’m not a fan. And it’s not going to be the same without Himself here. He loved it. 💙

Last Christmas was so sad we all knew it’d be our last one so younger daughter and son in law hosted a dozen of us. Just because.

I can’t face it this year neither can our daughter so we’ve decided champagne at hers mid afternoon then a curry (which we will book). Our Yorkshire Lass and her husband have spent the last 3 Christmases en famille, again, just because - so I expect this year they’ll either stay home over the Pennines or visit t’other family in Oxford.

I’m not even sure what to do about writing Christmas cards with my name only in them, a much loved twig tree we’ve had for 20+ years will make my cry assembling it on my own so I may not bother. Why press the emotional bruise? I may go to the Trafford Centre and buy a small decorated table top one from John Lewis.

Apologies for bringing the thread down. I realise I just have to get on with things, not overthink and do as much ‘differently’ as I can now. It will never be the same without my Mr Jovial by my side 🎅🏻

Thoughts with others in the same boat as me this year. xx

Jaxjacky Sat 03-Oct-26 13:46:48

Mr kindly bought my advent calendar yesterday, I have bought three presents.
The ingredients to make a baked cheesecake, to freeze and stuffing for five families, to freeze, are in various online shopping delivery baskets for this month.
So, I'm on my very approximate target.

Gingster Sat 03-Oct-26 13:46:37

I love Christmas and the jolly run up to it.
Not started yet though , I like to get Halloween over.

ginny Sat 03-Oct-26 13:35:12

Not even thinking about it.

Georgesgran Sat 03-Oct-26 13:22:39

Not a fan of Christmas, actually really dislike it, but I go with the flow with DDs and DGSs around, although the DDs know how I feel. I have a Pandora chain and charm for DD2 already. Actually, I got it for her August birthday, then she changed her mind and asked for something else!
5 people will request gift vouchers, so just a question of getting those from wherever nearer the time - maybe late November.

MissChateline Sat 03-Oct-26 13:18:32

Bah humbug, On Christmas Eve I put up the decoration (singular) usually a small wooden German decoration that was my mums. I buy some nice cheese and a few deli delights and enjoy with a good bottle of wine.
On boxing day morning the decoration is put away and thankfully that’s it for another year.
So all is running to schedule so far !

Calendargirl Sat 03-Oct-26 13:13:40

On a beautiful, sunny, early October day, still wearing my shorts, certainly no desire to think about Christmas cake, pudding, mince pies, presents,……

Harvest festival tomorrow.

Clocks not changing for another 3 weeks..

So most definitely behind.

DamaskRose Sat 03-Oct-26 13:05:12

Ahead. And behind! DGD and I made the mince for the pies this morning and I have some presents in my present box (and some cards because I bought too many last year!). But I do two Blytheswood boxes for Christmas and I haven’t bought everything for them and they have to in the collection centre by the middle of October. I usually have everything ready for them so it feels to me that I’m behind …

JamesandJon33 Sat 03-Oct-26 13:03:05

Definitely ahead. Christmas cake made, cards bought and the yearly calendar being designed.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 03-Oct-26 13:01:12

Too late for the sprouts Grandmabatty the late lamented Victoria Wood had hers boiling long before now.🥹

pably15 Sat 03-Oct-26 12:57:17

I like to start early getting some things ready for Christmas, I would hate to leave everything till the last minute, and I hate having to go round the shops as I can't walk far now. so most things are done online..

GrannyGravy13 Sat 03-Oct-26 12:25:36

Ahead 👍

teabagwoman Sat 03-Oct-26 12:18:43

I’m currently ahead for the first time ever. Can’t speak about other people’s plans as I rarely go into town these days.

I’m a bit disconcerted this year as I have a lot less baking to do and I’ll miss it.