Gransnet forums

Christmas

Ahead or behind?

(46 Posts)
fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 12:11:35

I know there are some who dont start on anything to do with Christmas, until 1 December.
Or later.

For those of us who start a lot earlier, are you ahead or behind?

I am ahead. Partly to do with circumstances.
When I go out, there seem to be more people than usual, both on the roads, and shopping.

Is that just around here? Spreading cost of living? Weather is still good? People go out for coffee more, and then browse?
Or starting getting ready for Christmas earlier?

Ziplok Sat 03-Oct-26 17:27:19

I bought some cards recently, some from the RNLI shop and some in a church I visited. That is the extent of my preparation so far.

Present buying is very limited these days as wider family agreed with us when we suggested to not buy presents for each other - it solves a lot of problems.

Hugs to all of you who are going to find this Christmas particularly difficult. 💐

crazyH Sat 03-Oct-26 17:16:30

Don’t like Xmas - we used to have brilliant times when the kids were little. Divorce put paid to that. It’s all so different now.
But, for the sake of the AC and GC, I put on a show.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 17:05:04

Buy rolls of wrap fancythat cheaper and easier.

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 17:01:52

So much easier to wrap up ànd I hate wrapping up.

I have more than usual to wrap this year.
Not looking forward to it.
And some happen to be unusual shapes!
Someone told me about there being longer Christmas paper.
So bought some of that.

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 16:56:34

FriedGreenTomatoes2

Fallingstar 💐
I can understand.

Thanks for that xx

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:53:57

I buy non Jewish friends a Christmas gift ….they give me ideas of what they want.

Erica23 Sat 03-Oct-26 16:51:36

For the first time ever I’ve started already, only a couple of bits. I’d get everything now if I could but the grandchildren have no idea what they’d like yet.
The adults usually give me ideas for themselves, so not too bad.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:51:05

Surely there isn’t a right or wrong way to supply gifts? It’s more about giving the person something they want isn’t it?
I can understand teenagers prefer to have money.

winterwhite Sat 03-Oct-26 16:42:05

I dislike giving money or vouchers, I find it soulless, and think that what counts most almost is things piled up under the tree, but I do it for grandchildren between about 15 and 18.

At the university stage and beyond I often buy them things for their rooms, flats or whatever. Sometimes, and this may be one of those years, I buy everyone books. So much easier to wrap up ànd I hate wrapping up.

Jaxjacky Sat 03-Oct-26 16:33:30

Oreo I buy online, our family supply wish lists, I’ve never given money but occasionally vouchers, so wrapped gifts. Larger items may be hidden about our house, the (disguised) wrapped present contains a written clue.
The latter tended to happen more when the grandchildren were younger, obviously they are here on the day for it to work!

Usedtobeblonde Sat 03-Oct-26 16:13:26

All my shopping is online now as I can’t get to the shops easily or walk about if I do.
My family are mostly cash or for close family bank transfer.
That suits me.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:11:06

Talking to a work colleague the other day, it seems that they usually give Christmas gifts of actual cash, is this a thing now?

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:09:33

Do your families prefer a voucher or money or a wrapped gift?

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:08:36

Do posters set a price on gifts for families and friends or just buy things as they see them?
Do your families have amazon wish lists?
Do you favour online Christmas shopping to take the stress factor away or do you prefer to shop in your High St or shopping mall?

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 15:34:02

It would.

Cossy Sat 03-Oct-26 15:33:19

I’ve done some thinking!

The best Christmas for us all in our household would be to see dear sweet Henry and his mummies and their sausages all warm and cosy in their new home together! 🙏🩵

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 03-Oct-26 15:31:47

Fallingstar 💐
I can understand.

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 15:25:13

Life has been too unpredictable in the past couple of years, and not in a nice way, so have stopped planning ahead with very much at all. Christmas will happen but am not even giving it headspace at the moment.

MawsRosie Sat 03-Oct-26 15:22:06

fancythat

^Who says you ‘just have to get on with things’? Do exactly what you want, and never mind what other people think you should be doing^

Agreed.

Eggzackly - who needs pressure?
That said I have been buying a book of 8x2nd class stamps with my shopping each week 😇😇😇

winterwhite Sat 03-Oct-26 15:21:48

Like Gingster, I love Christmas but don’t allow myself to start doing anything about it till after Bonfire night. And in the days when I made my own cake and puddings, mine were always as good as anyone else’s.😂

sharon103 Sat 03-Oct-26 14:38:02

ginny

Not even thinking about it.

Neither am I.

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 14:37:02

It spreads the cost and stops the need for a 'big shop' in December. The trouble is, I get too pleased with myself when I have a reassuring pile of gifts, so still end up rushing nearer the time.

I am a bit like that myself.
Getting better. Hopefully.
I find I have neglected other things along the way. Which need doing too.

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 14:35:37

Who says you ‘just have to get on with things’? Do exactly what you want, and never mind what other people think you should be doing

Agreed.

Doodledog Sat 03-Oct-26 14:35:02

I'm ahead, as I always start bits of shopping in September. It's a throwback to when that was when I went back to work, and would start getting stocking fillers and gifts for the children that I could sneak into the house without their seeing.

It spreads the cost and stops the need for a 'big shop' in December. The trouble is, I get too pleased with myself when I have a reassuring pile of gifts, so still end up rushing nearer the time.

Daddima Sat 03-Oct-26 14:23:13

FriedGreenTomatoes2

I’m not a fan. And it’s not going to be the same without Himself here. He loved it. 💙

Last Christmas was so sad we all knew it’d be our last one so younger daughter and son in law hosted a dozen of us. Just because.

I can’t face it this year neither can our daughter so we’ve decided champagne at hers mid afternoon then a curry (which we will book). Our Yorkshire Lass and her husband have spent the last 3 Christmases en famille, again, just because - so I expect this year they’ll either stay home over the Pennines or visit t’other family in Oxford.

I’m not even sure what to do about writing Christmas cards with my name only in them, a much loved twig tree we’ve had for 20+ years will make my cry assembling it on my own so I may not bother. Why press the emotional bruise? I may go to the Trafford Centre and buy a small decorated table top one from John Lewis.

Apologies for bringing the thread down. I realise I just have to get on with things, not overthink and do as much ‘differently’ as I can now. It will never be the same without my Mr Jovial by my side 🎅🏻

Thoughts with others in the same boat as me this year. xx

Who says you ‘just have to get on with things’? Do exactly what you want, and never mind what other people think you should be doing.
Make the time as easy for yourself as you can, you may be surprised at how much you enjoy.