Gransnet forums

Classics

Over 50? Here's what you're not allowed to do.

(104 Posts)
forgetful Thu 02-May-19 13:58:37

According to this charming gentleman, over 50s should not use emojis, be on Twitter, wear daring clothing (a la Helena Christensen in her bustier top the other day) or admit to having sex. Really?! Tell me not to do something and it's only going to make me want to do it more. Might be setting up a Twitter account in a moment so I can brag about my sex life using some risqué emojis just to spite him. angry

bongobil Sun 05-Jun-22 15:19:58

Sounds like my ex husband although I wasn't over 50 when we divorced but thought he could tell me what I could and could not do!

Lilyflower Sun 05-Jun-22 17:03:11

Giving up higher heels was a pleasure.

Alioop Sun 05-Jun-22 17:31:48

I'm 56, divorced and do whatever I want. No one to tell me off or give me 'the look' anymore if I get on daft. It's fabulous!

Saetana Sun 05-Jun-22 17:38:31

I'm pretty sure that article was written seriously tongue-in-cheek, not meant to be taken seriously...

LovelyLady Sun 05-Jun-22 17:44:15

I wear what I like.
Always modest.
Never short skirts. Seldom trousers.
Jewellery worn. (Why keep it for best)
Occasionally my hair is in bunches, sometimes curled and always roots done. Sometimes it’s hair up, sometimes down.
Always waterproof mascara.
Always make up. Less eye shadow these days.
Never low cut tops.
Nails done.
Low heals now (sadly) shoes personally customise.
Various decent handbags used - always a good bag.
Clothes colour co ordinated.
Tights - various denier and colours.
Hats I love them! Always a smile as appropriate.
Like is hard enough without being clothes. restricted.

Nan0 Sun 05-Jun-22 18:08:07

Was in Skye and went swimming in sea before breakfast this morning and am now about to spend a week cycling on another island in Scotland.. I'm 66....

HazelEyes Sun 05-Jun-22 19:09:10

He obviously thinks he is so young but we know he will be 50 before he knows it! grin

GrauntyHelen Mon 06-Jun-22 04:58:23

I shall do as I like

mistymitts Mon 06-Jun-22 09:29:05

I am still of the view that 50 is middle aged. I don’t believe the third age starts till around 80 plus.

mistymitts Mon 06-Jun-22 09:31:34

@NanO, that sound fabulous. Something I’d love to do. Inspired by Dervla Murphy.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 06-Jun-22 10:30:26

I am old, and I got there disgracefully!!

Magrithea Mon 06-Jun-22 11:18:28

I think he has a point about Helena Christiansen!

My ex- SiL turned up at a family BBQ once in tight white jeans and a black bustier (not lace) - she looked like she should be going clubbing and spent the whole afternoon hitching the top up (she's quite well endowed!) and behaving badly. She got drunk, upset one of my other sister in law's nieces and then threw up in the kitchen sink!!!!

As for the other points, he can go whistle grin

lizzypopbottle Mon 06-Jun-22 14:14:16

It was a woman (Alexandra Shulman) who criticised Helena Christiansen, not the male author of the article. He thought she looked good.

happycatholicwife1 Mon 06-Jun-22 21:23:53

I have to admit that I do not care nearly as much as I used to about getting it right. However, I do like to see people dress with sense for their age. There is nothing sadder than an older woman with hairstyles or clothes that are meant for women decades younger. Back in the early eighties, I was at a clothing store and stopped at a makeup and perfume counter. In front of me was a woman dressed in white calf high leather boots a white leather jockey hat and a white leather belted short coat. She had long platinum hair pouring down from the cap. These were styles from 20 years previous. When the woman had completed her purchase and turned around, I saw that she was probably in her '70s or '80s. She was quite wrinkled and wore a plaster cast of makeup on her face. I didn't think "Oh, isn't that gal having fun!". I thought, "Poor soul, she looks dreadful, and no one will help her!". I've always thought that wearing clothing, hairstyles, makeup drastically younger than your years only ages a woman.

Nanna58 Mon 06-Jun-22 22:42:50

The journalist in point will find, as we all did , that the list of things he finds ‘inappropriate in older people ‘ will shrink in adverse proportion to his age! ?

Puzzled Tue 07-Jun-22 10:48:58

Life is for living!
And less of it stretches ahead of us than it did twenty years ago.
SO GO FOR IT!
As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, or is illegal, do it!
Dress as you want, visible or not.
Age can be a number, not a mindset.
Only ill health or disability can prevent us doing all the things that we desire.

HeavenLeigh Sat 09-Jul-22 18:52:54

Dress how you like, it actually doesn’t bother me how others dress, have confidence in yourself and stop worrying about how you look, some do plaster themselves in thick make up and way out fashion it doesn’t make them a bad person, in fact a lot that do dress slightly differently are very often comfortable in their own skin, and have fun personalities they don’t give a dam

DavePortnoy Mon 18-Jul-22 02:15:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FranA Sun 25-Dec-22 11:12:32

“Well he's a twerp isn't he. Hopefully we are all doing what we want to do my now---I'll just unlace my bustier and settle down for some sex in the afternoon with the light on and the blinds open.“. My husband gets really upset when I do that but it keeps my neighbours husband happy. grin

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Dec-22 11:15:29

It is all a matter of perspective.

From the vantage point of 71, all you lassies in your 50s are young things, but regrettably a 37 year old reporter is too old to have his bottom smacked for disrespect!

Let's all just go on doing whatever we like!

Happy Christmas!

Babs758 Sun 25-Dec-22 11:52:19

Absolutely! Merry Christmas Gransnetters!

Cossy Sun 25-Dec-22 13:01:35

Do whatever you want, wearing whatever you like and going wherever you please and definitely follow the poem “When I am old I shall wear purple…..”

Merry Christmas one & all xx

🤶🏻🤶🏻🎄🎄🥂🥂

Grantanow Sun 25-Dec-22 13:08:22

Are you sure it wasn't Rees-Mogg?

Thisismyname1953 Sun 25-Dec-22 15:54:36

It seems that Helena is 54 today . Happy birthday to her 🍾

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 25-Dec-22 17:02:35

He sounds like a pain in the eyeballs! Amid him at all costs and enjoy!