Gransnet forums

Competitions

Where to now?

(9 Posts)
Grummy Wed 30-Jan-13 17:18:05

Ah, Annodomini, being quite solitary but needing a bit of talk I once did try a writer's group here (High Wycombe) but was somewhat put off by the sheer volume of science fiction and comic book writers so gave that a miss from then on - and seemingly many moons ago I belonged to the U3A in the Strand South Africa ... not many U3A groups of huge interest here in High Wycombe though, so I haven't joined ... but I am sure your writing group in Cheshire is enjoyable!

annodomini Wed 30-Jan-13 15:57:24

Grummy, I do wish you were a member of our U3A writing group! You don't by any chance live in Cheshire?

Grummy Wed 30-Jan-13 15:02:11

Thank you Phoenix, Mey and Annodomini for your encouraging responses, I have started ploughing through The Writers & Artists Yearbook, I think the trick being to find the right publishers or agents (my story could fall in the educational category) unless I want a million rejections (although I am as stubborn as a mule I bruise easily, unfortunately). I would self-publish if I had the money but I don't so that's out. Publishing for e-readers sounds interesting though I'm not sure I have the necessary brain power to understand how to do it but will find out. In the meantime I have been instructed by youngest granddaughter to write a personalised book for her like I wrote for her sister, and, given that I have just joined the ranks of the unemployed, may also possibly resurrect and restructure the other children's stories that have been lurking for ages in a To Do folder! Thanks again ...

annodomini Tue 29-Jan-13 18:58:39

You could send you ms to an agent, of course. You will find details of agents in the Writers and Artists Year Book which I would think you'd find available for reference in your library.

Mey Tue 29-Jan-13 18:04:33

OR You could self publish of course.

Mey Tue 29-Jan-13 18:03:15

Grummy the hard work has been done, you have written your story, I guess your nrxt step is to search for children's book publishers and just email them all. Dont be offended by the amount of rejections you get, and you will get loads, J K Rowland was rejected for a whole year before her book was finally accepted.

So go for it! and please keep us posted.

annodomini Tue 29-Jan-13 17:23:12

Grummy, there are at least two members here who have published for e-readers, and their books are sold on Amazon. Perhaps this would be a way in for you. Wasn't that the way the Shades of Grey trilogy got started?

Anne58 Tue 29-Jan-13 16:39:53

Grummy I have never written a story, but do scribble a bit of sort of "observational" stuff, and have submitted the odd piece to various publications.

I think perhaps a starting point might be to see which houses publish stories in a similar vein to yours, then phone or email them and ask the question.

(Couldn't do any harm!)

Grummy Tue 29-Jan-13 16:10:55

Congrats to the 20 Gransnetters short-listed in the Bedtime competition but where to now for the rest of us - do we let our blood, sweat and tears masterpieces gather cyber-dust or has anyone any ideas which publishers accepted unsolicited manuscripts? confused