Gransnet forums

Competitions

Hello School! giveaway

(51 Posts)
EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Sep-14 09:49:51

Have your grandchildren just started nursery or school for the first time?

Post your top tip for settling them into the new school year and be in with the chance of winning a copy of Hello School, A push, pull, turn and learn-about-school-book by Angie Rozelaar.

Read more about the giveaway here and post your tips below by the 15th September to be in with the chance of winning.

This giveaway has now closed, thank you for all your contributions.

Soutra Tue 30-Sep-14 11:46:45

Thank you my book arrived this morning thank you very much.
However at the risk of sounding totally ungracious, gift horses and mouths and all that- if anybody is thinking of buying it, it is a board book I would have thought appropriate for 1 year olds and yet the subject matter is presumably aimed at children of 4 or 3+. so maybe more suitable for a (much) younger sibling.

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Sep-14 11:20:06

Hi Soutra, the books should be on their way to you, and be with you any day now. The publisher assures me they have been sent out.

If you haven't received them by the end of this week then please do let me know and I will follow it up. Please contact me directly ([email protected]) in future as I won't always come across a message on the forums.

Best,

Emily

Soutra Mon 29-Sep-14 10:35:54

I was deighted to hear from Emily@Gransnet that I had won a copy of this book. smile Great timing, I thought as DGS1 had just started schiol so a good pressie to take next time I visited. I have sent my name and address as requested but heard no more sad. I imagine this is down to the publishers but has anybody else had theirs? He starting his 4th week and the novelty not to mention the point of the book could wear off soon. Admittedly DGS2 and baby DGD might benefit in the future but . . . . . . anybody know anything??

bertykat Sun 14-Sep-14 20:20:33

Being organised the night before usually with their help as it makes them feel involved but so the morning is as relaxed as possible. Also something to look forward to when they get home. Cookies or cupcake , milk and warm pyjamas (as an example) because little ones are usually tired after their first full day smile

minilynn3 Sun 14-Sep-14 16:22:24

Talk to them about what is going to happen at school and reassurance that you will be there to meet them at the end of the school day!

eviegrace Sun 14-Sep-14 14:56:39

Get a book about starting school to help prepare them. Send them a good luck card and tell them how wonderful it will be. Draw a picture together after their first day with the theme 'first day at school'.

Purpledaffodil Sat 13-Sep-14 15:19:51

Interesting point Annie29. We made the mistake of asking GS about his day too soon. As a result we got all the negatives. Left to settle and wind down for a couple of hours he had put hs experiences into context and was much happier to talk about the good things. smile

Annie29 Sat 13-Sep-14 12:49:28

When they come home dont ask lots of questions, just listen to them.

PatriciaPT Sat 13-Sep-14 10:35:16

Choose a school where a parent or regular carer is allowed to stay with the child for as long as s/he needs, to help her/him settle. I know this is controversial but I'd say from my own experience that I wish I had pushed for this for some of my kids. I think it would have helped them a lot.

Slimsonik Sat 13-Sep-14 09:55:56

Make sure you talk to your child lot about school before he starts it and let him know that he s gonna have to stay there for some time but mummy or daddy will always come and take him back when he s done with school. Second thing is never be late collecting your child in the first few days or weeks in his nursery days, bcz it happened to me with my eldest son and it was a nightmare afterward to make him go to nurseryas he was left alone in the nursery after all kids got picked up and got really scared and that upset him lot :-)

Nancyb Sat 13-Sep-14 05:58:01

I think pointing out the positives of the day, for eg playtime and making new friends, lunch time, children love lunchtime and giving them something to look forward at the end of the day, eg when I pick you up from school we will go get ice cream smile

angie347 Sat 13-Sep-14 05:32:57

Explain to your children everything about their day at school.Let them know what time you will be back for them.
Also make sure you are prepared beforehand ,right equipment for the day ahead.When you pick them up ask about their day use encouraging tones and praise their achievements .

HannahLI Fri 12-Sep-14 21:54:52

My top tip is get everything ready the night before and start talking about it the day before too, it helps for them to know what to expect on their first day and how it will work. Focus on the positive things that you know they will love like their packed lunch and let them put a treat in it to give them something familiar to look forward to.

peanutmum Fri 12-Sep-14 21:17:28

Be happy, love their uniform and tell them how wonderful they look.
Listen to everything.
Don't plan anything else that first day / week, so you can give them all the time they need (or don't need)
Read everybody else's comments
A surprise we had .............. a crying child who DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE SCHOOL.
We had to use the bribe of 'nana's pasta and sauce for tea', amazing !!!!

inishowen Fri 12-Sep-14 17:14:33

If they have a special cuddle toy or blankie, put it in their school bag. Let them know it's there, even though they probably won't want to take it out. Reassure them about who's going to pick them up. Thirty years ago I took a photo of my daughter going into school, looking worried and tense. I took another when she came out of school, smiling, and clutching her first painting. Priceless!

sallyc06 Fri 12-Sep-14 16:30:56

Reassure them that you will be back to collect them.

Lona Fri 12-Sep-14 15:53:05

Make sure they know that Mummy will be waiting for them, and make sure that Mummy is there. Also that it's for more than one day!
Lots of cuddles before they go!

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Sep-14 00:34:46

But tell them gently what to do if things do go wrong, if they feel poorly etc - that they should tell a teacher or TA and not keep any worries to themselves. Reassure them that any problems will be easily sorted out (then cross your fingers and hope to goodness that they are!). smile

milliemoon1 Thu 11-Sep-14 19:57:18

Talk about all the exciting things they will get to do x

Ruby6918 Thu 11-Sep-14 12:00:06

bring them out to pick their own pencil case and wee pencils etc and a wee luchbox, they dont need to be expensive, ask them to help make a wee snack or lunch that they pick themselves so they feel happy that they have made their own choices and wont be hungry, make sure that all their uniform fits and i always asked the girls what way they wanted their hair done for their first day, and take fotos and then give them a kiss with reassurance that you can collect them if they get upset or un well etc, then let them begin their new journey

Isis1981uk Wed 10-Sep-14 18:15:03

Don't talk about it too much - some is ok but going on & on about their first day will get them worried & stressed.

Purpledaffodil Wed 10-Sep-14 13:48:04

We found the Usborne Starting School sticker book very useful too. You need to sit with the child and discuss the picture, what the words say and where the different stickers go. If not modelled like this, it could become just another sticker book. It helped to promote discussion about school too.
I asked a Reception teacher friend for her top tip and it was...."Make sure they can wipe their own bottom because we won't." smile

wallers5 Wed 10-Sep-14 10:51:21

As above. Success lies in Reparation. Going to the school for open days. Seeing the nursery school room. Meet the teacher. Buy exciting new crayons, bag etc.

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 10-Sep-14 10:16:36

Some great suggestions here, to those of you haven't posted yet, there's still time! Tell us your top tip for helping the grandkids make a smooth transition into school and you'll be in with the chance of winning a copy of Hello School! a lovely new picture book from Campbell.

Best,

GNHQ

nicholab85 Tue 09-Sep-14 11:33:26

My grand daughter suffered terrible separation anxiety so we found planning something with her for after nursery really helped, we wasn't saying bye as such just see you in a little while..things as small as helping prep tea or a trip to the park makes her realise we wont be gone forever so no need to worry. smile